Home Technical Talk

[Max 2k9] Help w/ exporting freeze

mmk, so im doing a little model of a cliff, 150-300 polys, and im gonna bring it into zbrush for detailing (DUH) and whenever i goto export as an .obj max just freezes with the save as... box still up. any ideas? or maybe if som1 has a better .obj exporter plugin? (max 2009)

=S any help is much appritiated =]

BTW: importing large poly models isnt even a big deal..

another BTW: if no1 can help me out, will one of you be so AWESOME as to export it for me? (ill send you .3ds or .max and you can send me the .obj back)

Replies

• Rob Galanakis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You'll get a better response if you speak in intelligible English.

As for your problem, it may stem from the fact that obj's hate Autodesk and your avatar has corrupted your entire Max installation. Have you tried both Export and Export Selected? Is this happening on other files or objects you try to export?
  • Dante1217
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i tried exporting & export selected and after an hour i gave up =[

then i unplugged my headphones, and voila! it worked fine!:thumbup:
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Might want to collapse your Modifier stack down to Editable Poly and try to export again. Might also want to try resetting XForm while your at it.

Also if you're using the GRUware OBJ plug-in (I think it was included in 2k9, or the Creative Extensions?) try setting it to another preset like "Mudbox".

EDIT:
    i tried exporting & export selected and after an hour i gave up =[

then i unplugged my headphones, and voila! it worked fine!:thumbup:
    Let me guess you're on vista and their USB headphones?
  • Rob Galanakis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hahahahaha, we've had peripheral driver problems as well, but way more obscure (some listview properties weren't working with a certain MS wireless keyboard). I can't believe something so fundamental is broken from that.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I can't believe people buy usb headphones!
    it's the worst fucking idea ever, since you need proprietary drivers for them, and I've seen so many people have issues with them (mostly with media playback and using things like cubase/flstudio/whatever, but still!)
    Imagine buying a set of ubs-headphones before vista came out, and finding out there weren't any drivers for vista :)
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The good thing about most USB headphones is that the USB piece is normally removable.

The down sides like Pea said are;
    Drivers
    Sometimes a manual switch in the sound properties
    It will probably take a good 3 feet off the cord thanks to wonderful plug placement
    Simple USB hardware running amok on Vista

I'm thankful I invested in some referbushed wireless headphones from sony. But having to keep them charged is also a pain... but I'm not getting tangled up in a few miles of cord when I go for coffee so...
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vig: If I understood you correctly (and sorry for hijacking this here fine thread, but it seems like the problem's solved?), you mean that you can just replace the cable easily when it's broken?
    If that is what you meant, I've got a pair of sony wired headphones that have a swappable cord as well, and it's magnificent. Seeing as how that's always the bit that breaks first for me (not even giving the rest a chance to break, since the headphones are useless then) , it's great to be able to just swap that out.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ARRG... tis the season fur piracy and thread highjackery!

According to the crappy pair of USB headphones I was issued for work, it has a [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Koss-USBDONGLE-USBDongle-Adapter/dp/B000O2H5V6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1227111662&sr=1-1"]adapter like dongle[/ame] that standard headphone jacks plug into making them USB. Why I would ever want to use em that way is beyond me... especially considering they break vista hah.

Yea the cord is always the first thing to go hahaha, in theroy they should pay for themselves... if I wasn't the guy footing the bill...
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    I use USB headphones on Vista with no problems. I really like them, and unlike my office mates $100+ Bose headphones (and my old headphones) there is no hisssssssssssssss.