Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

tomb-toothed fatso

Hello,

This is a low-poly model I did a few weeks back.
Has just one 512*512 colour texture.

I'm done with it now but crits and comments are welcome, cheers.....

bobblechops-1.jpg

Replies

• nkoste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nkoste polycounter lvl 18
  • TheWinterLord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheWinterLord polycounter lvl 17
    Nice style on the texturing! Well done except it looks like the bite marks are a bit big on the icecream (or it doesnt fit the way his teeth are formed.)

Love his expression, looks like he got brainfreeze!

Give us the texture layout.
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    excellent stuff, you know im a fan ;)
    Just wish you worked on that seam from his lower arm pairs to his torso.

p.s.
    Winterlord:ive seen the flats and theyre suh-weeet
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love it!
    Maybe some more detail on the belly would be cool, like a belly-button? That part just seems very spare (might be because there's less texture-space available there?)

flats!
  • Vrav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    Still loving this, is a modern classic.
  • claydough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    claydough polycounter lvl 10
    :thumbup: I want one fer my computer top.

is he animated yet? How does his head bobble?
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    This would go so well on my new monitor as an action figure, the expression is full of win.

Besides the bite marks the saturation of the icicle's a little blinding for me.
  • pixelmitherer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nkoste, Vrav, TheWinterLord : Hey thanks.

claydough : Thanks Claydough, I only really modelled him so I could practise my texturing on really, I didn't really plan for any animation. Besides, I can't
    skin very well at the moment, so for the time being being he's staying still!:)

MightyPea : Hey thanks MightyPea, suggestion noted.

butt_sahib, : Cheers, yeah the arms were a problem area, mainly for the way I layed out the Uv's

pliang : That's from all the artificial additives in the ice lolly.:)

Any crits on my texture layout would be nice, I originally planned for unique texture space as I was going to create a normal map, but never did in the end. I think I could of layed out the Uv's a bit better, I got a bit of distortion around where the arms meet the body. I'm not sure how I would of done it as its a bit of a weird shape; big fat body with little thin arms.

Bobble_ColFlat.jpg

2 seperate textures (combined here), 512*512 for the body, and 256*256 for the ice lolly.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    First off, on a character of this polycount/texture-resolution, I don't believe subtlety comes first. While it's nice to have a unique unwrap (although you did mention this was because he was going to be normalmapped), you could have mirrored a lot of parts. Now that you didn't, I think you should make more use of the asymmetry and make it much more obvious.

I also think the transition from belly to leg is a bit of a letdown, and the area could go with some more flesh-folds as well. In general, the colour-transitions are about the only thing that really bothers me, really. If you squint, it almost looks like he's wearing a wife-beater and dark pants, but since that isn't the case, more could be done to make the elements flow together.

See what you did now? Look what you made me do! Everyone was fine and dandy before you went ahead and asked for more comments.
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    I agree with the A-symmetry. If it's going to be unique, give a little more love to make it unique.
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    Agreed on the asymetry, maybe something like this.

lollyry0.jpg

it would add some asymetry as well as tie the icecream into the piece better. Explaining the missing chunks :P

awesome little dude :)
  • Orgoth02
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Orgoth02 polycounter lvl 9
    This is awesome man. Good jod. I really like the texture work that you did, it's very clean.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    love it, and i wanna lolly
  • pixelmitherer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Orgoth02, SHEPEIRO: Thanks.

whats_true, Xaltar: your right. Xaltar, I might just steal your suggestion. Lolly juice or a couple of strands of drool coming from his mouth.

MightyPea:Thanks, this is exactly what I was looking for. HA!, A monster wearing a wife-beater and dark pants?; I think I've found my next character!:poly121:
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter