Home Technical Talk

Zmapper: Things that make you go hmmm.

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
This is more a question that I cant figure out.

Why hasn't Pixologic combined Zmapper with ALL map creation tools? From AO to height/displacement? If I have a low rez model with different topology and vertex count than what I created the high rez model, the only option I have in zbrush that uses the same cage is zmapper. But of course, zmapper doesn't export all those (unless Im wrong, and that case, this entire thread is a STFU on me ;) ).

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Nah, it's true, pretty much all you can do with ZMapper is normals.

I think there was a thread on ZBrushCentral where someone showed a workaround which meant you could kinda bake out all the material colour/cavity info (don't know if ZBrush does "proper" AO at all?). Might be worth looking for that.

I think they did it by making textures out of every map applied to the mesh and also rendering a Displacement map, then using the Displacement map to "bump out" a flat canvas so you basically got the medium/high-frequency details laid out onto the UV map.
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    wait for 3.5, i think there will be AO baking and the use of multiple textures on one tool. i can't wait. i think people with macs are already enjoying these features with the 3.12 update.

from zbrush central

- Increase Polygon count - Multiple textures per tool - Multiple Displacement Maps per tool - PUVTiles, an enhanced version of GUVTiles/AUVTiles UV mapping - Masking by Ambient Occlusion (which can be saved as an Ambient Occlusion Map) - Streamlined navigation (right mouse navigation, subtool framing, one click subtool selection process) - Improved perspective with added visual grid - ZSpheres editing in perspective mode - Much Improved zoom (get to -really know- your polygons one by one) - 2 new smoothing brushes (SmoothPeaks and SmoothValleys) - One click merging of subtools - Faster and more intelligent algorithms, resulting in a smoother sculpting feel - Enhanced Polypainting accuracy -Improved Project All functionality with Scan-Distance Control - More Vibrant "Deep Shadow" for real-time Preview - And additional improvements throughout many of ZBrush functions in order to accommodate the upcoming features of V3.5. Information about V3.5 will be available at a later date.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Those features sound great! Here's hoping they all pan out!
  • 3devo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3devo polycounter lvl 12
    Looks like they're phasing out zmapper anyways found this in a thread about 2.12(mac only release):

ZBrush 3.12 can natively generate normal maps.

Also, ZMapper is no longer required for things like creating normal maps with arbitrary meshes -- one of the biggest reasons why it was created in the first place. That is now possible -- and very easy -- through the use of a morph target and ProjectAll. In fact, you have much more control and flexibility with this method, can use more than just two meshes, and you can also create displacement maps from arbitrary meshes. - Aurick

not gonna go putting words in zbrush devs mouth but thats what it looks like