Home Technical Talk

toon shading?

sir-knight
polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
sir-knight polycounter lvl 10
Hey guys, I finally just picked up a 360 and was playing tales of vesperia. I think I'd like to investigate toonshading and environments next as my next 3d learning experience. Also I'm looking at a more stylized toonish shading like in valkyria chronicles for ps3. A few questions though....

Aside from illustrate and ink n paint, is there another method of doing toon shading? is there anything else baked into the textures?

I know generally the shading is left to the shader, but just how much texture info does there need to be? Does anyone have examples of texture layouts/games that use it?

Are there any game engines for pc out there that support model imports like unreal that use a toonshader? How would i best display work of this sort?

Replies

• Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    well totally depends on what you are heading too, valkyria chronicles hast some pre hatched textures that combine quite good with the post effect hatching in the shadows, you can do both parts in unreal3, well not in ut3 as you (or at leats i know no way how to) can#t touch the shadows exclusively, but you could hatch dark shaded parts, thats how we do it for airborn, wish we could do it better.

As for the outline, there are also some ways how to do it, the simplest would be a ramped fresnel, like a superthin inverted rimlight multiplied to the scene, but this doesn't work for flat objects.
    You could also do it the hardcore old school way. With a pushed inverted model, but that really kills the polycount, so you should keep that in mind before you consider doing it, you should work with way less polygons, unless you can do some vertexshader trickery to get this done. This was done in XIII and okami for example

XIII_01.jpg
    okami.jpg

The last way i know if would be an imageanalysis, you use the depth information and scene normals to generate an outline, afaik it's not possible with ut, with coding possiblities it should be possible in unreal 3, thats how i suppose they did it in Valkyria Chronicles, Naruto or in Prince of Persia.

valkyria-chronicles-20080411040153763.jpg
    but this could be a modelled outline too with some shader tricks to make it appear a bit more lose
    narutostorm.jpg
    prince-of-persia-20080527114810329.jpg

and my experiments on that topic
    modelled outline with shade depended hatching (having it only in the shadows would give in cleaner results) crosshatches_07.jpg
    modelled outlines have the downside that they do not scale by distance, so the will start flickering, but you could lod them away, or push them further by a vertexshader

pixelshader outline with a fresnel term
    crosshatch_05.jpg
    pixelshader outlines have the downside, that they don't work well on flat surfaces, you can see the problem on his bag, it's getting totally darkened, don#t know a way to control that

that's why we almost dropped the outline, we won't work on that feature until we know better ways to create the outline.

oh and as you to took a look onto tales of vesperia, they've got a pretty solid way of doing static painted inlines works pretty good if you construct your models to support those lines
    ol.jpg
  • blanktarget
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love the style you got with AirBourn. I've been interested in that kind of style for a while and maybe leaning toward that with an upcoming game I'm working on.
  • sir-knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks neox, hopefully I canfind a bit of time to start into the work, I'm feeling pretty down lately and just frustrated with work and my professional portfolio (lack of) even after 5 years of working in the animation and game industry (albeit off the beaten track in mobile) I'd really like to advance to something more front line, but I just don't have the time right now to pour into stepping up 3 or 4 notches to get myself out of my current situation. Currently my computer at home can barely support normal mapping, let alone run any current or even last gen pc games to practice, so I'm limited to just playing with standard max shaders. Hopefully I can pay off enough credit by january to get a new system to work with.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    ok created the last possible outline in unreal, thanks to kazeohin, crazybutcher and flavius at splashdamage, this one is based on edge detection based on the zbuffer, the bfufer could be calculated more correctly but it gives an impression

outlines3.jpg
    but something is odd with the basic chading of the char what happened to my shader o_O
  • sir-knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    personally, I think if not going the straight naruto method, the black outlines aren't completely necessary. I thought ToV held up just fine without the outlines, I just need to figure out how that translates into how the bits and pieces come together in max... and then rebuild it in whatever engine I use...

New computer now so hopefully I can start playing around :D
  • sir-knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aw man... so much delicious art out there... need to figure out how to do stuff like this... I love the look of it (environments and textures)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YRYQNF9z-Q[/ame]