Home General Discussion

Government bailouts and the Auto Industry?

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20081106.IBOBAMAAUTOS06/TPStory/Business
So now the American Auto Industry is hunting around for a government bailout. We already bailed out Wall Street, Airlines, Railway companies that seem to just eat it. So why not the Auto Industry, again? After all it seemed to paid off nicely once thanks to Lee Iacocca, even if Chrysler is back on the skids.

They don't seem to have a clear profitable path forward and are just looking for funds they'll burn through? Maybe we should put our money in companies like Tesla Motors? That not only have the right idea but took it to an extreme Detroit wasn't even aware was possible, but isn't affordable for everyone, yet.

My question is, should we keep throwing life rings to companies that eat them rather then use it as a flotation device?

Replies

• Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Yeah where the fuck is my govt bailout for my student loans. I am so sick of these companies running themselves into the fucking dirt with no fucking consequences. CEOs still taking huge fucking bonuses while their employees are layed off.
  • J Randall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    J Randall polycounter lvl 15
    Tesla motors is the way to go, the car companies while being the source of income for millions of people, just doesn't work like it did in the past.

If and when the government bails out the car manufacturers there should be mandates for gas millage and or electric car technology being more pervasive in the designs of new models.
  • doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
    Maybe if they hadn't been making shitty cars for the last 30 years, we wouldn't be in this mess.

Fuck em. Let Toyota build more plants over here - the working class Americans can still have their factory jobs.
  • sir-knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sir-knight polycounter lvl 10
    is it me or did the auto industry make new awards in the past 10 years to try and make US cars look more legit?

"Award for best initial quality"?

WTF.

I too can pinch a loaf and wrap it up in fancy sparkly paper real nice and pro like and make it look like every other fancy wrapped chocolate bar out there... you won't know what you get until you bring it home and open up the wrapper... will you get crunchy corn or crispy rice? The suprise is half the fun!

BUY AMERICAN... OR ELSE.

:D
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    doc_rob wrote: »
    Maybe if they hadn't been making shitty cars for the last 30 years, we wouldn't be in this mess.

Fuck em. Let Toyota build more plants over here - the working class Americans can still have their factory jobs.

Yea, the dumbshits are now scrambling to try and catch up to Japan's hybrid technology. In all fairness though, how could anyone have seen that the consumer would want a car that gets the best gas mileage possible? :p
  • sir-knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sir-knight polycounter lvl 10
    hey you guys were paying what... 4$ a gallon down there at the worst this summer? we were well over 5$ a gallon up here in canada.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    yeah i paid 1.98 today on my way in to work. O_o
  • stimpack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stimpack polycounter lvl 10
    Wow i was totally sold untill i saw that 109K price tag. Ouch, thats a big chunk o cash. Toss the engine in a old vw bug and let me know what we can get that shit down to.

Even if i could dish out the 109K, would that actually work out to be saving you money? Someone thats good at math should crunch the numbers on life span of the car and how much you spent vs price of another 2 seater car and buying gas.

As for bailout, fuckem. Plent of other car manu's out there putting wheels on the streets. I could careless if gm, chevy, or ford bite it. Where they fall, another will arise. This is why i bought a subaru. Quality, and proper engineering built to last. As for the people loosing there job. There is no surprise in the mix. Everyone has seen this coming for years. If those workers get caught off guard and wind up jobless, thats there own dumb fault for not staying current and involved in what there employeer is doing.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For a few weeks I was paying $4.65-98 but it never cracked $5. Now its back down to $2.50-ish. I think had to do more with geography then actual boarders? Washington St always seems to get shit on by the oil companies. I think its because the west coast states are so anti oil. Which is why Tesla settled in California?

If Tesla Motors delivers on its high performance promises which should trickle down to some kind of everyday car (crosses fingers). They'll have blown the doors off the Japanese hybrid technology. Considering Detroit hasn't even caught up to that yet...
  • Parnell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Parnell polycounter lvl 18
    They'll bail out the car companies.
    No politician, republican or democrat, wants the failure of the big 3 companies to happen on their watch.
    B
  • J Randall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    J Randall polycounter lvl 15
    That and high performance is an in road to the budget and lower tier models.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    J Randall wrote: »
    Tesla motors is the way to go, the car companies while being the source of income for millions of people, just doesn't work like it did in the past.

You do realize Tesla is at just as much risk of going under right now?
    J Randall wrote: »
    If and when the government bails out the car manufacturers there should be mandates for gas millage and or electric car technology being more pervasive in the designs of new models.

No. Just, no. If *anything* is a bad idea, it's government mandates for things like that. You let the economy drive that kind of business decision, not the government. If people want to buy cars that don't get as good a gas mileage as their competition, that is the *consumer's* choice. Besides, government involvement in that kind of thing has rarely had a good result... care to explain why we've got MTBE in California's gasoline?
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    Petrol here is at the lowest it's been for about a year. Which works out to about $5.38 a gallon. The worst it got over the summer worked out to about $6.90.

I think those cars would more likely save money in the long run for people here :)
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    flaagan wrote: »
    No. Just, no. If *anything* is a bad idea, it's government mandates for things like that. You let the economy drive that kind of business decision, not the government. If people want to buy cars that don't get as good a gas mileage as their competition, that is the *consumer's* choice. Besides, government involvement in that kind of thing has rarely had a good result... care to explain why we've got MTBE in California's gasoline?

If goverment bails them out it means they didnt really do well with the market situation and if they keep doing what they do they go under or have to be bailed out again and again and again untill your goverment cant afford it anymore. So enforcing rules to a company that is being saved from certain death sounds fair to me atleast.
  • claydough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    claydough polycounter lvl 10
    I'll be a GM zealot/Convert if the Chevy Volt delivers.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I am always astonished at how poor the economy / mileage on a lot of American cars is, compared to European or Japanese ones, especially given that on average a US citizen drives a lot further.

I just checked, the Chrysler Sebring (first car I found which was about the same size/utility as my Civic) has a highway economy of 30mpg, and a combined economy of about 25mpg or less. The base model Civic here in the UK does nearly 60mpg on the highway, and a combined value of 48mpg (that's the petrol engine too, not the diesel).

I'm pretty sure that in general US-built cars could have much more efficient engines with less cost to the consumer (and probably not much difference to the manufacturer, although I don't know).
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan wrote: »
    You do realize Tesla is at just as much risk of going under right now?
    I agree that the push should come from the market. But if they can't see change coming and adapt then they deserve to go under.

If they want a government bailout, the government has every right to force them to use that money wisely by putting conditions on the loan.

They've been drunk on SUV sales for far too long and it allowed them to turn a deaf ear to people wanting more fuel efficient vehicles. I'm all for helping them adapt if they have a plan to be leaders again. But I'm against it if they want the money no strings attached and plan to use it to keep doing failed business as usual.

Honestly they're dead already, they just don't know it and no one wants to admit it.
  • ohnein
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP wrote: »
    I am always astonished at how poor the economy / mileage on a lot of American cars is, compared to European or Japanese ones, especially given that on average a US citizen drives a lot further.

I just checked, the Chrysler Sebring (first car I found which was about the same size/utility as my Civic) has a highway economy of 30mpg, and a combined economy of about 25mpg or less. The base model Civic here in the UK does nearly 60mpg on the highway, and a combined value of 48mpg (that's the petrol engine too, not the diesel).

I'm pretty sure that in general US-built cars could have much more efficient engines with less cost to the consumer (and probably not much difference to the manufacturer, although I don't know).

I think two big reasons as to why cars have worse economy here is because of stricter pollution and safety regulations.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    claydough wrote: »
    I'll be a GM zealot/Convert if the Chevy Volt delivers.
    I dunno, its still hybrid technology, so you're still lugging around a gas engine that isn't working for the first 40 (projected) miles. If they ditched it and worked on pure electric how far can they go. I travel about 40-50 miles round trip every day if I don't make any stops. America is a big place and spread out, I really don't think your average American is going to get buy on 40 miles a day. Sure it would be better but its not nearly what it could be. It seems to be just a catch up to Toyota which hits the same MPG but doesn't need to be plugged in.

On the other side of Detroit we have Ford working with Hydrogen... It emits water! I'd like to see them drink. People said "it only emits Co2" when gas power came around. How about zero emissions, and no gas, can we work on that guys?

We need to stop using oil as fuel (remember it gets used for tons of other things, things we can't live without, like medicine, plastics, chemicals, feralizer ect). Also China and India have caught up if not passed the US in pollution emissions. Even if the US goes green every developing nation out there isn't. It's not enough for the US to cut back and consume less...
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    MoP wrote: »

60mpg? that's better than the civic hybrid!

"The official fuel-economy ratings advertised on the sticker of every new car are calculated by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, which has long used unrealistic driving patterns to test auto mileage. Starting with the 2008 model year, the EPA has modified its test patterns to reflect real-world driving by today’s drivers – reducing the listed fuel economy of every car, but especially hybrids. (The Civic hybrid drops to 40 city/45 highway under the new system.)"

and I recall a while back that experts said the Prius would only be cost effective to own when gas goes above $5.00 a gallon.

edit: wowzers, 1 imperial gallon = 1.2 US gallons
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    stimpack wrote: »
    Even if i could dish out the 109K, would that actually work out to be saving you money? Someone thats good at math should crunch the numbers on life span of the car and how much you spent vs price of another 2 seater car and buying gas.

Well the tesla 100k car is the lotus of the electric car world. So if you want to compare that then its easy.

lotus costs 80k. The average amount spent per year on gas is $1000-1500. maintenance costs for cars range from 200 a year to 5000. So say you keep your car for ten years then your total cost for ownership is $92-145k. Where as the telsa car would have you paying more on your energy bill say $500 for the ten years and basically no maintenance costs. Also there used to be a nice big tax credit for buying a hybrid/electric car.

tesla is also working on a 4 door car with the same specs only slower acceleration (closer to a gas car) for 30k. So at 30k it would be more than worth in the ten year life span.

If the big car manufactures can't provide what the consumers want then they need to die. I don't believe that they should be bought out, if you fail to spend your company's money wisely on R&D and find yourself outdated then you should go under. We make games, guess what happens when we dont keep up with the demands of our consumers we dont get enough sales and we go under. the people who worked at that company move on and learn from the mistakes and make new company's creating more opportunitys.
  • stimpack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If we are bailing out these retards, and i do me WE. Than yes, i want rules and deadlines set. If i was looking to hand out that kind of cash, i could find a much better cause. SO if they want to save there business and get a fresh start, strings come along with it. As I see it, the automobile has become manditory investment for most to even survive, especially those not living the city life. If someone has that large of an impact on your life, and is obviously unable to run it properly, then someone else needs to step up. If govt will develop and sell plans for a 100% battery car that is reasonable, id thumbs up that project. Maybe a tradeoff, we bail you out, you build this car and sell it for X amount of dollars for 5 years or what ever. Deals should be made, not money tossed at them like a slap on the wrist.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Let me clear some things up here. I know first hand how bad the auto industry is fucked. I've been laid off from GM and I currently work for one of the suppliers, who are also hurting because of this.

First, this ISN'T a bailout they are asking for. They have stated very clearly that they want a LOAN. They intend to pay it back. There is also discussions of getting the government to do some kind of tax incentive to consumers to buy American cars. A reference: http://www.hybridcars.com/incentives-laws/25b-loan-not-bailout-detroit-25075.html

Second, Toyota is also having difficulties, so it isn't just the American manufacturers.

Third, GM tried a long time ago to make a full electric vehicle. They succeeded, but then no one bought them. They only marketed them in a few areas (mainly California), but people were too in love with their SUVs and insisting that they needed more than the 80 mile daily range. GM still has a lot of these EV1s rolling around this area (and their tech center). I've driven one, and they are pretty damn cool.

They have been working on hybrid vehicles for a while now. Unfortunately, they initially tried shoving them into SUVs since that's what the market was driving. You can go buy a hybrid Escalade or Tahoe. Ford has the hybrid Escape.
    The volt is only going to be their first car hybrid... and my company is doing the brake system for it, so I should be able to drive one in the next few months :D.

Anyway, as a final note, you don't realize how badly the economy, across the nation, is tied to the big 3. There are literally millions of jobs tied to the production of American cars and their suppliers. If you saw Michigan's current economic state and imagine that across the country, the outlook is VERY bleak. I think the big 3 were late at adjusting their sales focus, but they are trying to change and they need help doing so.
  • stimpack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman wrote: »
    Let me clear some things up here. I know first hand how bad the auto industry is fucked. I've been laid off from GM and I currently work for one of the suppliers, who are also hurting because of this.

First, this ISN'T a bailout they are asking for. They have stated very clearly that they want a LOAN. They intend to pay it back. There is also discussions of getting the government to do some kind of tax incentive to consumers to buy American cars. A reference: http://www.hybridcars.com/incentives-laws/25b-loan-not-bailout-detroit-25075.html

Second, Toyota is also having difficulties, so it isn't just the American manufacturers.

Third, GM tried a long time ago to make a full electric vehicle. They succeeded, but then no one bought them. They only marketed them in a few areas (mainly California), but people were too in love with their SUVs and insisting that they needed more than the 80 mile daily range. GM still has a lot of these EV1s rolling around this area (and their tech center). I've driven one, and they are pretty damn cool.

They have been working on hybrid vehicles for a while now. Unfortunately, they initially tried shoving them into SUVs since that's what the market was driving. You can go buy a hybrid Escalade or Tahoe. Ford has the hybrid Escape.
    The volt is only going to be their first car hybrid... and my company is doing the brake system for it, so I should be able to drive one in the next few months :D.

Anyway, as a final note, you don't realize how badly the economy, across the nation, is tied to the big 3. There are literally millions of jobs tied to the production of American cars and their suppliers. If you saw Michigan's current economic state and imagine that across the country, the outlook is VERY bleak. I think the big 3 were late at adjusting their sales focus, but they are trying to change and they need help doing so.

You should watch the documentary on the EV1. Gm didnt shut it down due to lack of interest. Far from it.

Heres a small clip from it...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eq2D_Ts5B5g[/ame]
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    We need to bail them out but CEOs should get no freaking benefit from this. We need to bail them out because the TV said so. It be nice if we got to buy out these companies and got dividends off them considering the brutal monopoly they have on car prizes and all the shit they do. The CEOs should be fired as well, they could have made their cars more fuel efficient years ago, but big oil reigns supreme. Yeah there is that whole job issue that would screw us real hard if they go under. Seriously if we bail them out we should get a nice new car for out troubles as well tax free, japanese or german made of course. LOL I want first dibs on those new cars that run on water.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree... the CEOs should be fired... or in the least, they should not receive a single penny of a 'bonus' since there is nothing they've done to earn one.

I watched that video, and to be honest, the instant I hear Martin Sheen, I get suspicious ;) That aside, like I already said, they had the technology and developed the car. They had the batteries and a car that worked very well. They even sold several hundred I believe. (obviously that is a low volume, but it was intended to be that way initially) Trust me, once they get as far as they were, they wouldn't just drop it. They would have made excuses before ever getting too far in development.
    My boss was on the program that developed the EV1, and he pointed out the one failure by GM. They did surveys to see if people would buy the EV1 and had any interest. They all said yeah, and thus GM went ahead and developed it. The failure (according to my boss), was that they never asked, would you be willing to pay $25,000 for one. At that price, they were more interested in their SUVs and they convenience of gas. I think if there were to rerelease it, things may be different. Then again, I'm assuming they are reworking it (as my boss said they would do if they had the budget to do so).

Remember this, the day you see a car at the auto shows, it's already been 2 years in the works. They have a 4 year develoment cycle. Two in design, then two more in development.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] polycounter lvl 18
    This may just be ignorance on my part, but if all they want is a loan, then what's the advantage of getting it through the government rather than a private lender? Either way, it's money that essentially doesn't even exist until it's loaned, so it's not like the vast amount of money they'd need to borrow would need to reside in any existing account to be loaned to them. So why not hit up some of the major banks for the loans? The banks would profit, like they do with every other loan, so it'd be win-win.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haven't you heard lately? Banks are broke. They surely don't have the billions of dollars the Auto industry is trying to borrow.
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    fly_soup wrote: »
    This may just be ignorance on my part, but if all they want is a loan, then what's the advantage of getting it through the government rather than a private lender? Either way, it's money that essentially doesn't even exist until it's loaned, so it's not like the vast amount of money they'd need to borrow would need to reside in any existing account to be loaned to them. So why not hit up some of the major banks for the loans? The banks would profit, like they do with every other loan, so it'd be win-win.

If i were a bank then the US car manufacturers would be at the very bottom of my loan trust list.
    Goverment on the other hand lends peoples money, they dont care, so they might buy the optimistic childish explanations how the money will pull the companies out of the ditch. And if they fail, so what? It was goverments money, nothing will happen.
  • claydough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman wrote: »
    I watched that video, and to be honest, the instant I hear Martin Sheen, I get suspicious ;) That aside, like I already said, they had the technology and developed the car. They had the batteries and a car that worked very well. They even sold several hundred I believe. (obviously that is a low volume, but it was intended to be that way initially)

No EV1 electric was ever sold...? they were all lease only.? GM refused to renew leases or sell any EV electric and crushed them. The battery technology was bought up by Chevron oil.

re: chevy volt..

I didn't know the Volt was a Hybrid with a gas engine? I thought the gas tank was for generator back-up power ( not internal combustion auto engine )?

either way I've been waiting since 1976... I want one.
    X07Chevy_Volt_Conc_front.jpg
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    I don't really have much of an opinion on this matter, but one thing I'll never understand is how people on the internet seem to be on a bandwagon to hate American cars. I really don't get it. I have a Ford and I love it. Here's what I got:

05 Ford Focus with about 60k miles. Gets 32-34mpg highway. Has around 60k miles. Has a 6CD/MP3 player stock, good airbags, leather wheel, nice dash, etc. It is very fast (especially compared to most economical vehicles).

Not a damn thing has gone wrong with it and I only paid barely over $11k for it. The cheapest Mazda I could find was around $18k and the cheapest Toyota was around $17k.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Last time I checked Mazda 3, a few months ago, was selling for 13K, it might have been a sale, but you can get foreign cars for the same price range as most American cars at least every time I have had to buy one. Sonic from what I have seen at least in Massachusetts, Fords do pretty well, but out of country they can leave a bit to be desired. I think American cars get a bad rep from how they perform in foreign countries more.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You guys realize that Ford owns Mazda right?

Either way, from what I've seen on the net, people in the West coast seem to have the greatest dislike of American cars compared to the East coast. Nation wide though, there was an opinion that American cars != quality. The big 3 have been working hard to get rid of this impression, but haven't been too successful. Quality has improved, but I still think there's work to do.
  • Parnell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Parnell polycounter lvl 18
    Personally, i've just never been a fan of the look/styling of american cars (besides the classics).
    I think if they did some designs that rivaled the BMW, Audi, and other european cars they could get some other people interested. I can't wait for the Volt though, it's a bit weird looking but I'm excited to see them moving in a new direction.
    B
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Really Ford owns Mazda. Has this always been the case?
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I just go by the advice of old grizzled mechanics... they don't build 'em like the used to but at least the Japanese shit is tough and can take a beating.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage wrote: »
    Really Ford owns Mazda. Has this always been the case?

According to Wikipedia, it started in 1979, when Ford started buying up Mazda stock. They now own 2/3rds of Mazda

For me, I've bought GM's products most of my life. Their powertrains are durable and strong (not to mention fast). My only complaint with them is they can't make a gas mileage vehicle for the life of them and many of their designs have gotten stale. The problem with their economy vehicles is, they go cheap every time they try to make one. That's partially because of the large overhead they have to produce cars in union shops. The other is their high profit expectations.
  • stimpack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I hate on american cars because the models i could possibly afford (up to 50k) look semi decent on the outside and complete shit on the inside. Most cant perform like I want either. I own a 05 subaru sti. That gives you an idea of the type of car i shop for, and american manu's dont produce such a product. If they did, i would consider buying it. Hell i was pumped about the new challenger, but they are all automatics? what the fuck?! someone is just making absolute retarted decisions and its driving there company into the shitter.

ps. this is the whole idea behind open market. If i chose not to buy, thats my decision. If there comp dies b/c they cant produce something worth buying (to me) then they go down like the maw and paw coffe shops trying to compete with starbucks. I fail to see why just b/c of size they get special treatment?
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    claydough wrote: »
    No EV1 electric was ever sold...? they were all lease only.? GM refused to renew leases or sell any EV electric and crushed them. The battery technology was bought up by Chevron oil.

re: chevy volt..

I didn't know the Volt was a Hybrid with a gas engine? I thought the gas tank was for generator back-up power ( not internal combustion auto engine )?

either way I've been waiting since 1976... I want one.
    X07Chevy_Volt_Conc_front.jpg

Yeah the gas engine is just a generator, its not a hybrid in the conventional sense. The first 40 miles are essentially "gas free", and after that it gets something like 50mpg. If you drive 80 miles a day you're essentially getting 100 miles to the gallon.

The EV1 died because there was no commercial market, they had a small lease market, and a very small(hundreds to thousands) number of people who were actually willing to buy them. It was disconinuted because it would not have been cost effect to keep manufacturing parts and providing support for such a small user base, you've got to understand this sort of thing works on mass-production, you cant set up a factory to service some 1000 vehichles. It just doesn't make sense. There was no silly conspiracy to kill the project, it was all logistics.

Heres more info on the volt: http://gm-volt.com/chevy-volt-faqs/

and the ev1: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Motors_EV1
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic wrote: »
    I don't really have much of an opinion on this matter, but one thing I'll never understand is how people on the internet seem to be on a bandwagon to hate American cars. I really don't get it. I have a Ford and I love it. Here's what I got:

05 Ford Focus with about 60k miles. Gets 32-34mpg highway. Has around 60k miles. Has a 6CD/MP3 player stock, good airbags, leather wheel, nice dash, etc. It is very fast (especially compared to most economical vehicles).

Not a damn thing has gone wrong with it and I only paid barely over $11k for it. The cheapest Mazda I could find was around $18k and the cheapest Toyota was around $17k.
    I own, read not making payments outright own American (2001 Staturn SL1 and 2006 VUE) and prefer to buy American when I can and I could have found cheaper deals if I wasn't. I'm a west coast dweller and I understand where American car companies get a bad wrap. The west coast is a touch more "green" then the east, and they've been pumping out SUV's like crazy. Kind of a midwest/east coast thing. I'm sure there's a lot more that plays into it but I think that's the biggest.

Next down I'll buy "built in America" but foreign owned. Then foreign owned, foreign built.

I'd like to bail them out or loan them the money if I knew they where going to use it wisely and had a clear plan forward. I don't see Hydrogen dangerous and emits, or pretending that hybrids are fully electric is a clear plan to lead again. I'd like to see the money go to companies with a clean plate, a clear plan and an amazing chance for success. If Detroit can pull their heads out of their asses and make that happen I don't see why it shouldn't work.

As for the Volt, it still needs to be plugged in making the gas engine even more redundant and a weight burden. Not to mention you can already get the same MPG from a prius, without having to plug it in. It also switches back and forth between battery and electric depending on driving habits and power requirements, instead of burning out the electric first THEN switching to ass. They claim its a step forward but its set up for failure and its not even out yet... Like I said they appear to be playing catch up to Toyota and I'm not sure its going to cut it?
  • Squiggly_P
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Squiggly_P polycounter lvl 11
    http://www.chrismartenson.com/crashcourse

I generally agree with Martenson about the future of this economy. If you've not seen this already then I recommend it. It's kindof like watching a powerpoint presentation sometimes, but it's really well done and thorough. Anyway, it sort of puts all the bailouts into perspective.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vig wrote: »
    I own, read not making payments outright own American (2001 Staturn SL1 and 2006 VUE) and prefer to buy American when I can and I could have found cheaper deals if I wasn't. I'm a west coast dweller and I understand where American car companies get a bad wrap. The west coast is a touch more "green" then the east, and they've been pumping out SUV's like crazy. Kind of a midwest/east coast thing. I'm sure there's a lot more that plays into it but I think that's the biggest.

Next down I'll buy "built in America" but foreign owned. Then foreign owned, foreign built.

I'd like to bail them out or loan them the money if I knew they where going to use it wisely and had a clear plan forward. I don't see Hydrogen dangerous and emits, or pretending that hybrids are fully electric is a clear plan to lead again. I'd like to see the money go to companies with a clean plate, a clear plan and an amazing chance for success. If Detroit can pull their heads out of their asses and make that happen I don't see why it shouldn't work.

As for the Volt, it still needs to be plugged in making the gas engine even more redundant and a weight burden. Not to mention you can already get the same MPG from a prius, without having to plug it in. It also switches back and forth between battery and electric depending on driving habits and power requirements, instead of burning out the electric first THEN switching to ass. They claim its a step forward but its set up for failure and its not even out yet... Like I said they appear to be playing catch up to Toyota and I'm not sure its going to cut it?

You can get a 100mpg driving 80 miles a day with a prius? Are you high? Take a little time to actually read up on the volt, it dosen't have a gas engine, it has a gas generator. The only purpose gas serves in the volt is to generate electricity for the electric motor. There is no gas engine.

Q: What is the cost of operation of the car
    A: With current average U.S. electric rates of ~10 cents/kwh it should cost 80 cents to drive for the first 40 miles, and then get 50 mpg thereafter using gasoline (market rate).

You're telling me $0.80 per 40 miles is comparable to what you pay in gas? Even with gas prices lower than they have been in a long time, this would just be an extremely stupid point to try and argue.
  • Squiggly_P
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Squiggly_P polycounter lvl 11
    The oil companies want hydrogen or bio-fuels to win out, because they can charge to make and distribute those things. With electric cars they lose their revenue. Obviously, car companies and oil companies are very much in bed together on this issue as they are greatly dependent on each other right now. Paying off the CEO's, threatening to dump stock... Who know's what's going on behind the scenes?

In a world full of electric cars, tho, Exxon and Mobile would be ruined. Most of the negative crap about electric cars comes from the people who have a vested interest in making sure the electric car never happens, and the same companies are hyping up hydrogen and biofuels because they represent an opportunity to continue raking in cash with a different product.

And people discredit those working on electro-magnetic motors as crackpots, but the possibility exists that an electromagnetically driven electric vehicle would need no fuel and no recharging. Ever. It is in their best interests prevent technology like that from coming to the surface.

Another thing about these car manufacturers is the fact that even with the bailouts, the country is entering into a huge recession - maybe something on the scale of the great depression or larger - and there is simply not enough money flowing in the lower 80% of the population to continue buying vehicles, and not enough credit anymore for them to do so on loans. They would not succeed in staying afloat in this economy anyway. The country is on a tightrope and with their current policies with regard to spending and borrowing these bailouts are just the tip of a much larger iceburg that the country is about to slam into.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    Hydrogen powered cars FTW. Gimme a blower on a big block with no smog restrictions over an electric shaver with wheels any day. :D!
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd take an electric car against any hyrdo or blown engine any day :P
    Honestly, the EV1 is massively restricted for traction control. GM had video of an EV1 against a 'vette, but the EV1 got a performance profile so the traction control was limited. The EV1 blew away the 'vette until they got to their upper speeds. My boss also told me about what happens when they turn off the traction control. The car just sits there, unable to move because the tires are spinning too fast. It will literally sit there and smoke 'em off.

The electric motors have massive torque at the start, and it's a common misperception that they are slow. There still something about the SOUND of a V8, but the speed isn't missing on an electric ;)
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    You're telling me $0.80 per 40 miles is comparable to what you pay in gas? Even with gas prices lower than they have been in a long time, this would just be an extremely stupid point to try and argue.
    I'm saying it uses gas, if that gas goes to generate electricity or torque it doesn't matter it still uses gas even if its better then what I'm getting now it still uses GAS. Its a step forward but not one that really trumps Japanese Hybrid tech. Wait for my Volt to charge up or take my Prius out... I was basing my statements of MPG by the MPG ratings on their websites. The volt has a projected (not actual yet) of 40 miles on pure electric and after that they are calling it a "plug-in Hybrid Battery".

Also GM has a Saturn Hybrid that already gets 34-38MPG. I've considered getting the VUE, since I really like my fully gas powered version. But sadly the not so distant future does not include gas, so why bother with trying to incorporate it into the design, when you don't have to? Work on extending the range of pure electrcity and you've got a plan for success.

As for the extra savings, that gets blown in the extra cost you pay for the Volt. Starting price is $30k (same starting price as the 100% electric Tesla sedan). Prius is $22k. Also the volt won't hit showroom floors until 2010 even with the 4-5 year dev cycle Toyota is still ahead of the game and will be over most of its growing pains just as the volt is hitting its.

The basic point I'm making is that Detroit miss read the public even with heavily government sponsored programs. Now we're stuck having to help them out so they can just catch up. We need to know what the plans look like for Volt 2.0 or are they going to just fulfill their government obligations and then cut funds once no one is looking?

Volt v1.0 VS Japanese Hybrid 2.0 that look and acts just like your car now, only difference is that it gets better MPG. Who knows what Japan has in the works the Prius has been out for almost an entire dev cycle maybe something is on the verge of being annouced? All of which is great, but still not cutting the ties of oil. Just making room for cheaper consumption by more people.

So are people really going to hassle with plugging their car in and waiting for a charge on something they still have to fill full of gas or are they just going to take the easy road and pick something that gets similar gas millage? Also who
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    great link find!

An electric vehicle that gets 250 miles per charge that charges in less than 2 hrs is all i'm asking for.
  • claydough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vig wrote: »
    I'm saying it uses gas, if that gas goes to generate electricity or torque it doesn't matter it still uses gas even if its better then what I'm getting now it still uses GAS.

also depends on which motor will require less service/maintenance?

they will also use ethanol if delivered as promised?

Toyota , chevy, Dodge, Tesla... whoever.
    I'm gonna jes blindly buy electric no matter how bad they run and no matter how expensive they are. I'll go kit if I have to. Hopefully our grandkids will reap the rewards of murphy's law.

also.. I hear the filling station nozzles for hydro r inserted up yer ass for the full effect.

consumer meat unit idiots
  • claydough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maybe Nvidia should make an electric car and Intel could run Clean Coal plants.
    and then the new Abu Dhabi AMD could go to war with as much.

Wouldn't it be great if being green left the Burning Man festivals
    and became a technology advancement war instead?

I'm sure the oil companies would not conspire to interfere?
    In the light of such positive advances I am sure they would glady roll
    over and die for our future.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My dream national transportation infrastructure;

Electric cars that get at least 250 miles per charge and can be charged in a few hours and hot swappable battery's for long trips.

Under ground vacuum tunnel maglev trains for personal transport and cars. You drive up to the station the car is then put into the train and charged while your on the train then off loaded when you disembark.

Its a pipe dream but its my dream.