Home Technical Talk

Unreal 3 scripting - post process effect

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
I've created a post process effect in the generic browser and I want to load it up with a script, I'm sure it's simple but this code stuff is alien to me. HALP!

Replies

• NeoProfZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Granted I've just created a post-process volume and set it around the given area I wanted to modify, there might be a way to enable the volume under certain circumstances. I'll try to check it out and make sure but if I'm right you might just be able to create the effect and leave it disabled then enable it in script (3d buzz has a lot of decent tutorials for the basics of Kismet if your interested in checking it out. Its kinda like VB in that its not scary lines of code)
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well main reason I want to use a script is because I don't think you can do texture overlays on a post-process volume and I really want to mess around film grain -etc

this is a tutorial that talks about changing pp effect with code
    http://www.moddb.com/games/unreal-tournament-3/tutorials/unreal-learning-6-post-processing

I'm guessing the only line I need is "LocalPlayer.PostProcessSettingsOverride =" and load up the post process effect I created inside unrealEd. Kind of lame that you can create post process effects the only way to use them is to overwrite the default UT3 pp effect or use code.

It's probably never going to happen anyway, coding is so boring that I'll lose interest after doing the first hello world tutorial.
  • Kovac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kovac polycounter lvl 18
    Actually that big ol chunk works the same as editing your worldinfo or creating a post process volume, it won't let you physically switch which post process chain you're using. What it sounds like you want is the ability to completely override your post process settings for a specific level? Or do you want this to be something that's activated somehow inside of the level?
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    it's mainly because this seems to give you more functions:
    Post Process Editor User Guide

I wanted to overlay film grain & scratches using a post processing material

my original intent was to have kismet modify the post process effect during a silent hill-like transition I'm working on but things have turned out so complicated I'm kind of losing steam with that project and I'm moving on to just experimenting with different post processing looks.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KyzDaQEnh8[/ame]
  • Lucas Annunziata
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lucas Annunziata polycounter lvl 13
    So I know this thread is from quite some time ago, but I too am looking for a way to make this happen. I've poked around a bit in kismet, but I'm still pretty new to this stuff. I've got a film grain effect on my scene, so I can't just use the world property settings. I'm just hoping that there is some simple setting that they added in since this was posted.
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    darbeenbo wrote: »
    So I know this thread is from quite some time ago, but I too am looking for a way to make this happen. I've poked around a bit in kismet, but I'm still pretty new to this stuff. I've got a film grain effect on my scene, so I can't just use the world property settings. I'm just hoping that there is some simple setting that they added in since this was posted.

Look into Post process chain. There should be info on UDN and the default should be in FX Hit Effects package as Console something off the top of my head. You can change it to be loaded from a custom pacakge by changing the ini.