Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Environment Art Test

Having a go at Splash Damage's enviro art test. I've got 20,000 tris to play with, I'm at 13,970 at the moment. No info on maps sizes, but I won't go overboard. I have yet to do a damage pass and break things up. Lighting is just a test and very much a WIP. C&C welcomed!

Dock_Wires.jpg
Dock_Mid01.jpg
Dock_Close01.jpg
Dock_Wide01.jpg

Replies

• Microneezia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Microneezia polycounter lvl 10
    looks good! that concept drawing is hilarious, i think you made it out well. I dont know why but I like the dock-post retainer ring things hanging off the very side end of the dock. I think its a Nice touch. Id say if you have polys to throw around do the inside of the tires a bit more?

I bet nobody spends polys on having the water splash up on deck. could be wrong i guess. DO IT!
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    you dont need all the sections in the concrete edge trim, make it one tiling peice and use polys for damage
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    yeah id say uv got a pretty solid translation from that concept :D i would have said optimize the polycount but from the sound of it your well within limits. gonna be interesting to see the normalmap and texture work you do, and maybe render out two different lighting situations, daytime and nighttime ?
  • zerafian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It might just be perspective but the props at the end of the dock seem to be a bit to big. Other then that the composition is appealing.:thumbup:
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    looks like your props might also be blocking your door when it swings open :)
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Looks good, you've added a bunch of interesting items around the place which is what we like to see :)
    The concept art is intentionally very simple.
  • stimpack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stimpack polycounter lvl 10
    kewl man, looks good so far, just lacking a bit in the character department. mayb textures will help sell the story.

im intriqued! i kinda wana do this test for the fun of it
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    It's a cute layout, the clutter is nicely laid out and perhaps some growth when you start texturing will bring it out a notch.
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10
    some cargo netting in there somewhere would look pretty cool along with a small boat tied off. Might have to get rid of a pallet or barrel but the polys saved on those small repeated props would give a nice budget for a cool boat.

keep it up Eric. Good luck!
  • Daaark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daaark polycounter lvl 17
    Reminds me of:
    vlcsnap-41248.png

For some reason.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    hehe wimpy trying to make himself a ham sandwich. :D
  • erik!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments folks!

SHEPEIRO: I'll do that

zerafian: you may be right, I'll double check those

IronHawk: I thought about a boat actually. Maybe, we'll see!

Oh, I plan on having chains connecting the thin posts on the edge of the concrete. I'm planning on doing them with alphas. Any objection to that?
  • erik!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    UPDATE MOSTLY! I think I covered what I said I would. I made a boat! It's ok. Broke things up, not much though. Chains! Almost forgot. 18,966 tris now. Those chains gobbled em up. NOM NOM NOM. I think I'll start textures now..
    wippitywipwip.jpg
    Dock_Wip_Wires.jpg
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    Why not alpha map for the chains so you can put a extrusion boarder on the top of that wall (seems flat to me, even with the stuff on it).

Nice use of detail btw.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    yeah its rare to see modeled chains in games even next gen (current gen is still refered to as next gen.) , unless they are huge
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    yea, ill echo the alpha planes for chain tip, two at 90degree angle should be more than enough chief...shit i remember when they made trees like that :D
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks great!

Yea, ditch the chains, render them down to planes or switch them out for ropes or cable. Modeling them is just way too expensive. All that detail could be put in so many other places.
  • stimpack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stimpack polycounter lvl 10
    Coming along really nice. In addition to the chain comment, it looks like the little steps on the ramp are a waist. That could easily be normal maped and noone would be the wiser. the wall where the tires are leaning up on, as well as the bar across the front of the dock would use a few cuts to uneven those long beams. Especially since the wood planks are all moved around and beat up, but that one is prestine and perfect. Its an area those few tris you save off the chains could be used to help sell it.
  • gamedev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gamedev polycounter lvl 12
    Along the lines of removing unneeded geo and putting in the normal map - remove the bolts on the round windows and put that in your normal map w/ some supporting AO.

Few things:
    - proportions on the wood pallet look a bit off. Its kinda chunky, a little too tall, and maybe a bit to large overall.
    - Lights on the wall are a bit high. They lead the eye up to.... nothing. Maybe bring them down a bit and add some upper wall detail as suggested, or even better, a simple slanted roof w/ a killer normal map to portray corrugated metal!
    - an extra edge ring of geo on the inside of the tires would help break that sharp edge.
    - lastly, watch your smoothing groups. Lots of areas could use some hard edges.

Keep going!!
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    yes, alpha plane chains dude. but if you must have modeled chains [which do look nice] there are much more efficient ways of going about it. interlocking solid rectangles, for instance. you don't need to have the hole in the center for it to read as chain.

take all the extra polies from that and make a giant squid attacking. or a mermans having tea. or something equally awesome.

other than that, it's looking good!
  • Pseudo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pseudo polycounter lvl 18
    Also keep in mind where the player would walk through your level.

Right now you have the dock a little cluttered and it feels blocked off (which you may have done intentionally).
    If you wanted the player to be able to walk on the dock you will want to move the wooden palette off to the side and the oar as well, so that it feels open and the walkway is unobstructed.
  • erik!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    UPDATE!

Got some stuffed textured! Just a viewport grab, no fancy stuff. I've got Crazybutcher's Generic IBL shader in there. Still a lot of stuff to do yet. I need to make the ramp hinges and what not. Gotta make some signage to spice things up a bit. Need to get the chains in there. I'll be taking this all into Unreal at the end so I can project some decals on things and play with the materials more.

I'm not sure about the rust on the metal siding and I'm debating whether or not to give the metal some more color. The pallets are kinda meh to me as well. What do we think about the yellow door?

TexturesWIP01.jpg
    TexturesWIP02.jpg
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rotate some of the tires a little bit. The repetition is obvious.
  • super_villain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    super_villain polycounter lvl 11
    As I am not in the industry I'll probably get smacked down for this, but shouldn't all the "marking numbers" in the scene be exactly the same size? Liking the progress overall.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Hey man - can you get some lighting in this scene? As good as things could be, they're shite w/out some lighting. Get on it!
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    adamBrome wrote: »
    Hey man - can you get some lighting in this scene? As good as things could be, they're shite w/out some lighting. Get on it!

He Speaks the truth!
  • Adam Curtis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Adam Curtis polycounter lvl 16
    caseofchill - No, the different scales just show how much priority has been given to each asset / wall etc. Some things dont need as much texture space so can be smaller on the uv. Looking good btw, look forward to the lighting.
  • zerafian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Overall I think its pleasing to the eye and I like it so far. Theres a few things that stuck out when I looked at it.

Looking at the tires I notice theres no inside to them, I would definetly consider hollowing them out or at least adding some make shading to give them the illusion of being hollow. Im not sure but I think just like the walls, the tires might have some moss growing on them due to the fact their in such a humid area. I would make them all a little lighter in color since they get so much sun exposure as well. Since their textures are all shared I say flip the one in the center so it brakes up the repeat a litte.

I guess I like tires or something...but thats all Iam focusing on atm.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    looks like this is progressing pretty well. I would reccomend some type of trim or baseboard style thinger to break up the hard transition from the wall to floor. it would seem more natural i think and add some minor detail. the barrels look really saturated so maybe tone that down as well. i really like the tires element and like others have said, some roatation and flipping will help a lot. nice work, cant wait to see this finished.
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    I like that Splash Damage lets anyone do an art test for them. I need a new project to keep my mind off resume submitting, I think I'll try my hand at this also. Thanks Erik
    Never know my British citizenship and eligible to work in the UK, might work out for me. :)
  • Em.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Em. polycounter lvl 17
    This could just be because of the lack of lighting (since like everyone else said, it makes a huge difference) but the reds in your scene seem too towards the pinkish side, I'd work those more towards the deep maroon end with faded areas. Like I said though, kinda hard to crit the textures too much without lighting. Keep it up!
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    I'm not too keen on how you've applied the rust to the corrugated metal. googling around, what you've got doesn't look too true-to-life
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    some serious work needed on that door, more grime and rust around the frame
  • erik!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    good stuff folks! MOAR! Here's something with lights as requested. I agree with everything said so far. Light setup is temp for now. Thanks!

TexturesWIP_lights01.jpg
    TexturesWIP_lights02.jpg
  • ImSlightlyBored
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ImSlightlyBored polycounter lvl 13
    looks good so far man
    whats the tri count on this at the moment?
    Just finished this test myself. I really like your direction youve taken this!
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    looking great, keep going.
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    not sure if you've reached your poly limit, but adding some dirt decals to the wall will make it look a little more worn, unless that texture is temp.
  • erik!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Decals are on the list once I get it all into Unreal.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    those wood pallets are usualy moved by one of these http://www.af.mil/shared/media/photodb/photos/050925-F-2907C-018.JPG or by a motorized fork lift. both of which could not be navigated down that small ramp. so unless they are just for unloading stuff off a large boat (by crane then unloaded by hand) they seem to not fit the area
  • acidrain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would reduce the spec on the barrels a little bit. A little too shiny imo. Looking great so far though.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    I wasn't liking the red on the barrels since it seems a bit pink. But I'm liking how the whole scene is coming along. The yellow color on the door seems a bit off as well. Keep it up.
  • erik!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh geez I let this thing slip to page 10! An update is in order! Screen grabs from Unreal. Still need to do that damn boat, though I don't really like its shape/type of boat it is. Got some decals I want to toss around along with some sinage and maybe a little grass where the wall meets the ground. I keep forgetting to make the hinges for the ramp so it properly connects to the dock/curb. Oh and WATER. Colors? Lighting? WHAT SAY YOU?

WIP01.jpg
    WIP03.jpg
    WIP02.jpg

*just noticed the life preserver and pole are practically glowing. Whoops.
  • Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    what are you rendering that with? just changing your render settings to simulate realtime or is it something else?
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    mentalRay with exterior daylight and default settings
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    I second Harry, whats your setup in unreal, because that looks great (lighting etc.)

Also, you're getting some weird shadows just below the roof line (looks like it its 1 sided material maybe? or 1 sided faces).

If anything, I would say (to add a more dramatic mood) is maybe make the scene based during nighttime, you have those awesome over hanging lights that could create some really cool shadows, or if you're set on keeping it during the daytime (some nice base lighting) maybe add some "cooler" colours to balance some of the "white".

Either way I think it looks great man, looking forward to more updates.

renderhjs - mentalRay with exterior daylight and default settings"

In unreal? (sorry for dumb question).

It just kinda reminds me of the Beast lighting system.
  • Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    i think HJS means in max
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "It just kinda reminds me of the Beast lighting system."

A system that cost about 10k and only for companies XD
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    You know what I mean :P
  • pangarang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pangarang polycounter lvl 11
    Really nice, I'm really liking all the nice texture work in this scene. But I'm noticing something I'm surprised nobody else touched on - that would be the windows - the look like subwoofers or something - going by the texture-less model, I sort of expected them to be ... you know ... glass.
  • Pope Adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pope Adam polycounter lvl 11
    Pangarang has as point, they do look strange. You can do some pretty cool stuff in unreal with shaders to make the glass look really kickass too, check out the Eat3d Unreal Materials vid if you get a chance.

Also, i was thinking about scale here... Those windows are at like, crotch height almost - errr, maybe not... they seem a bit low to me t hough for the type of window they are. I could see a square window extending down to the hip-height area, but a port hole type window I think would be located a scoche higher, so the viewer wouldn't have to bend at the waist every time to look out of it.

Things look good here man, The textures really have come together, but I don't think the textures really show that this is a dock sitting in water. Some more grimey buildup, algaes, dock spiders, seagull shit, and other unique types of grunge to super moist-dockey areas would help sell it more. like the following photos

224732254_9d0e813d87.jpg?v=0
    rusty%20dock.jpg
    mw11.jpg

you know,,, textures that show obvious 'near-water'-ness This is only a suggestion, I haven't seen the concept art for this art test, but I think it would help sell the scene more :P

CHEERS! :P