Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

urban environment WIP

Replies

• adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Hey man - what engine, if any, are you using? ATM its lacking lighting beyond ray-traced so a lot of corners & intersections fall pretty flat. This scene would look great with some radiosity, lightmap, etc. etc. Get something nice and calculated in there :P

I also mimic Shep's comment about the lighting. It's nice, but very strong.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    this is turning out dope man. texturework looks nice and crisp. the only thing i would suggest is putting all your pipes/vents onto a texture that tiles instead of having a bunch of wasted/empty space on each map. you could have one texture for the 2 pipe variations and 1 for the vent ducting that both use 100% of the avaliable pixel space.also, you could save yourself a texture sheet that way too.

cant wait to see more :D
  • 00Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam: hes using unreal 3. im 95% sure it currently doesnt have bounce light and radiosity calculations or anything like that. perhaps in the next release. right now you have to pretty much fake it with a bunch of smaller radius lights. '

but then again, you probably already know that. haha sry ;)

theres a trick you can do if you hold a button and also press L and click on a surface it will take the color of the surface and create a low intensity light that will simulate bounce light. i forgot which keys. anybody know what im talking about?
  • vj_box
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ya zero i know that,i have seen that in the tutorial dvd which comes with the collectors edition. that was explained for a bounce effect of the lava on to the walls i guess.
    Vj
  • carlo_c
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome information, I have a question though :) Your using material ID's to texture parts differently, is it advisable to do that rather than detach and group parts that use the same texture sheet?
  • urgaffel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    urgaffel polycounter lvl 17
    Love where this is heading, thread subscribed :)
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    00Zero wrote: »
    adam: hes using unreal 3. im 95% sure it currently doesnt have bounce light and radiosity calculations or anything like that. perhaps in the next release. right now you have to pretty much fake it with a bunch of smaller radius lights. '

but then again, you probably already know that. haha sry ;)

theres a trick you can do if you hold a button and also press L and click on a surface it will take the color of the surface and create a low intensity light that will simulate bounce light. i forgot which keys. anybody know what im talking about?

Correct. But, you can certainly bake lighting which will help.
  • AshleyTayles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AshleyTayles polycounter lvl 9
    Awesome. Inspiration written all over it!
  • Matroskin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matroskin polycounter lvl 11
    thanks for feedbacks :)

--- adamBrome - i actually baked some basic AO into buildings and some props and also added several directional lights to simulate a bit bounced light.
    Some surfaces could be better though ;)

--- carlo_c - Props mostly used single texture sheet, but buildings mostly use tiled textures and sevral IDs. This helps to have smaller textures.

--- PixelMasher - yes, indeed, i could unwrap some of my stuff better. Dam, i was too tired i guess :) Thanks for pointing that out.

--- 00Zero - for the mirror i did not use camera because with camera u get a TV screen effect (it shows what camera sees) and if reflection should be seen by moving player it won't work.
    I used Reflection Actor.
    Honestly, i did not master it well enough yet and it keeps giving me some issues. For example, I cannot cook successfully my scene but i can view it in editor and play within the editor. If u do it just for portfolio it is ok, but for actual UT3 map it wont work. If you will get your scene cooked with this mirror please tell me, Ill be curious how u got it

U need to create SceneCaptureReflectActor form SceneCaptureActor group. In it's properties assign Render to Texture shader.

Basically you can assign any mesh to this reflection actor but the reflection in that mesh looks sort of wierd so i kept hte default plane.

I made my broken mirror mesh with alpha on its glass. Then, I placed reflection actor right under my mirror's glass surface. That's probably cheap but i wanted to have mirror and i did not know how to do it more efficiently. So in fact u don't see mirror with reflective surface but u see non-reflective mirror through which u see reflection actor. Dirt in mirror's alpha adds to the old mirror effect.
    On the image u see my scaled and adjusted reflection actor and actual mirror mesh on the side:

mirrorii0.jpg
  • Matroskin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matroskin polycounter lvl 11
    anyways, I can say that i am finally finished !!!

Of course there r things that i learned can be done better especially mapping and lighting things, but i need to stop at some point :) That was a good reason to learn UT3 editor anyways :P
    Thanks for the great support. Once again i saw that posting on forums may bring bunch of nice hints and tips during the work.

Here is a short vid of in-game walking:

http://www.myfolio.com/view.php?viewkey=9b9f9j4px9

and here r some conclusive shots:

finalmain01jx1.jpg

finalmain02lr6.jpg

finalmain05kj2.jpg

final01vd2.jpg

final02ti7.jpg
  • DInusty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DInusty polycounter lvl 17
    you should do some post process to bring some more darks into your lighting. looks awesome by the way. i frequent this thread :)
  • carlo_c
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks awesome, so much information in the thread and the end result is great. Lots of attention to detail :)

Shame it won't cook the map, would have liked to see a video of it in higher quality I hope you figure it out.
  • vik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vik polycounter lvl 13
    Sweeeet work Matroskin, congrats :)
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    very nice could do with something in the foreground of the park though, bit bare atm, maybe a few plants or a rotting car
  • Smoluck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Smoluck polycounter lvl 7
    A well done Set.. I hope You will add two character's like in a western.....:)

Did you use Xnormal to do you AO baking or just the Max bake system ?