Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Holt House (disgaea 2 concept) W.I.P

Hello guys, I'm new on the forum and kinda new to the videogame art
this is my first attempt in making my first game set
the concept is from the ps2 game disgaea 2.. I'm not trying to follow the concept 100% I just want to be able to do good texturing and modeling
I don't know too much about what are the main rules to follow when making a 3d game set so any help will be appreciated!
it's supposed to be a low poly model (10k -20k tris) and textures are 1024

42527591fx9.jpg

this is the coneptdis2envholt4cp3.jpg

Replies

• Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I'd like to see your colors match the concept more, your stuff is too dark and saturated. I'd like to see your wireframes and texture flats too.
  • machuca
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i agree with what justin said. the 4 towers are too thin, alot of the wood detail in the house could be reproduced by normal maps getting the polycount way down. and maybe some more detail in the texture to get these objects a little more "connected".

but anyway, its turning out really nice, cant wait for updates.
  • Snuggles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snuggles polycounter lvl 17
    Also agreein'. Most of the colors are too saturated, so as it feels like there's no real focal point or balance. They're all kind of standing out simultaneously. The geometry also kind of lacks that design balance. You took some details out between the concept and model but it doesn't look like you made up the visual interest that you took out.

I really hope I'm making sense, hehe.

But it's a Disgaea concept, so I still love you immensely.
  • AlexMGD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the suggestions

I'm trying to follow all the tips provided

here's an update:

testbm3.jpg

I'll post the wireframes and flat textures soon. I had to get rid of the foliage.. since they were a lot of geometry
  • kio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kio polycounter lvl 16
    i guess youre not going for fancy shader stuff - so you should really work on the materials. there are practically no highlights in there, try to increase contrasts. The wooden planks are too uniform - the scale of the brick wall is somewhat off (pretty large for my taste..)

adding some lighting to the texture also helps a great deal - so try to overlay some gradients, fake in some ambient occlusion etc.

and do me the favour and change this .... green of the grass.

wish you good fun with this, texture painting is pretty awsome ;)
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    the basic proportions still look off. Those towers are too small. Cauldron on top is too spherical. window to our left of the door should be centered on that wall. too much orange/saturation in everything.
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    model what you see, not what you think you see
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    OHMMMMMM

rammmmmm

• Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    You gotta show us the flats soon! Since you say you're new at this there's the chance you've gone about texturing your piece completely the wrong way. Most people who are new to environment art unwrap their piece like it's a character instead of using a series of tiling textures that can be reused for many assets.

Also your foliage was awesome, get it back in there.
  • rhoymand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct wrote: »
    model what you see, not what you think you see

ahh I see what you did there.
  • AlexMGD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    time for an update:

test.jpg

wire.jpg

(textures 1024x024)

txt1.jpg

txt2.jpg

I appreciate all the feedback I can get. thanks guys for the help :)
    kio wrote: »
    i guess youre not going for fancy shader stuff - so you should really work on the materials. there are practically no highlights in there, try to increase contrasts. The wooden planks are too uniform - the scale of the brick wall is somewhat off (pretty large for my taste..)

adding some lighting to the texture also helps a great deal - so try to overlay some gradients, fake in some ambient occlusion etc.

and do me the favour and change this .... green of the grass.

wish you good fun with this, texture painting is pretty awsome ;)

what kind of green you suggest? lighter? darker? and yes I agree the wood. I'm going to try a new texture for it
    the grass is temporary, is going to be the last thing to fix, now I'm just focusing first in the house.

I still have to work on the top cauldron textures and overall set.. sigh it takes a lot of time and patience

oh yeah the textures layaout is another thing I should fix.
  • vladino
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vladino polycounter lvl 15
    Sweet! Like the model, the textures needs more polishing tho. Looks to blurry to me and try adding some shadows or ambient occlusion pass to bring the volume out more ;)
  • AlexMGD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A bit of an update (BUMP...)

test4-2.jpg
  • AlexMGD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok it's been a while since I posted here.. been a bit busy and I need to finish this set now! but...
    I'm having a hard time making the grass... any suggestion?
    (the little pots need to be textured though)

test8.jpg
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    its looking good, still a bit oversaturated in places, why not copy the grass/plants in the concept, actually the grass in your previous shot looks a little closer to the concept just too bright green.