Home Technical Talk

How to work with oilpaint?

My great uncle does alot of photorealistic painting, and i thought id give it a shot aswell

Now i bought some black and white oilpaint today, nice pencil, lost quite some money on it.
And now i tried creating something with it, but i cant get this stuff to work and it pisses me off.

I want to be able to work with transparency, create dark layers, but i seem to get 100% thickness.
I tried some paint thinner, but the toxic fumes coming off that aint working.
Guess im using the wrong thinning method here.

I was wondering if someone here has any exp. with oilpainting and can give me some tips and tricks? or even get me started!

thanks!

Replies

• StJoris
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Work in a space with strong ventilation, or work outside.

Use oil to thin the color, linseed oil is one kind.

From what I remember... classic glaze method is to paint a base first, fairly thin but opaque, with warm colors (burnt sienna or burnt umber work great). Then apply oil-thinned glazes in layers, letting each dry for a couple hours. Very slow going, oil.

I have a great book, "The Artist's Handbook" by Ray Smith, worth looking for.
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Eric! :D

i just tried olive oil to test it out, and it does the trick! :D
  • rhoymand
  • Quokimbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good luck on your endeavors! Traditional arts are fun!
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    I once saw a Bob Ross show (about flowers, it was pretty boring, but interesting nonetheless). He first put linseed oil all over his canvas before he started painting, that way he could easily make all the new colors blend etc. good luck!
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, I always used linseed oil as medium and turpentine as thinner. Turpentine is really smelly though, you can get chemical thinners which are odourless, they're much better.
    Keep at it, oil painting is fun, I like it much better than acrylics or watercolour. Drying time is a bitch though :)

This post brought to you by Canada and the iPod Touch.
  • rube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rube polycounter lvl 17
    maybe I'm being a bit silly, but if your uncle does a lot of photorealistc painting, wouldn't it make sense to ask him for tips?

and good luck.. I've always wanted to try painting in oils, never tried yet though.
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys, im going to give it a big go today! :D

It is silly rube, but i hardly see him nowadays
    plus now it can be a surprise :D
  • Mezz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    Awesome!! I love oils painting dearly. I like the look of it best. Acrylics are ok and watercolour makes me want to cry. I can never get that medium to work for me...

Linseed oil is definately a good way to go, but I highly suggest using varsol for paint thinner and cleaning your brushes. It's much less harsh than turpentine but still does the job. You can also keep reusing it for a while, just keep it in a glass jar or something. All the paint sinks to the bottom, so most of the varsol is good to use for quite a while.

Also, I don't know if you've gotten this hint already or it's obvious or whatever, but keep lots of rags on hand. Lots and lots of rags for cleaning your brushes while you work and can be used on the canvas to help too.

Hope some of this helps. Paint away, take a pic, and show us! :D
  • AXiao
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oil is awesome dude! just make sure you wear shirts that you dont care, otherwise it sucks to have paint all over your favorite shirt.

i used to work with linseed oil, but they dont dry too fast (some people like to work, and have their canvas sit for a while and come back to resume). my instructor likes to use paint thinner to start his sketch, it's kind of a weird way to go about.

make sure you bring lots of rags too, you need to be able to dry your brush quickly after you clean it with paint thinner. some people like to hold their palette, but personally, i like to hold onto a piece of rag so i can quickly dry my brush.

i remember back in school, this one guy built a canvas carrier out of lego pieces so he can slide canvas into a box without stacking them. a lot of people like to paint ontop of wood instead of white canvas, it's neat with wood because you already have an earth tone base color, white's just too intimindating :(

take some pics for us! good luck with those happy trees :D