Home Technical Talk

Unreal Ed 3 questions

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
1) Is it possible to create terrain in 3ds max and use this in unreal editor, at the same time using it in the same way as a terrain actor?

2) How do you get the tri count of the terrain actor from unreal ed? I've tried exporting/importing it into 3ds max, but haven't been succesful.

I want to try and get my Unearthly Challenge entry playable as well as nice looking.

Replies

• Jonathan
    (1) It is possible but isn't suggested, as the terrain in UnrealEd will offer better performance than a large static mesh. You can use vertex colors to blend between multiple materials, but it'll be tedious compared to just using the terrain tools.

(2) Unsure of how to get the tri-count of the terrain, as it'd depend on where you are in the scene, as the terrain will be collapsing/LODing based on where you are in the map.
  • Kovac
    Offline / Send Message
    Kovac polycounter lvl 18
    To get a tri count of your terrain you can go to the Primitive Stats in the Generic Browser and sort by type. Also keep in mind you'll get mixed results in the scene based on your viewing angle as the terrain uses a LOD morphing system. I'd suggest setting up a stationary camera of the ideal angle in Kismet/Matinee and then using perfHUD or something similar to capture how many tris are actually being rendered in that frame.

http://developer.nvidia.com/object/nvperfhud_home.html