Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Tentacle Horror

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
Thomas P. polycounter lvl 14
Hey there guys,

New here on this forum :) Thought I'd share a scene/room I did for my portfolio/fun. Comments and critique are of course welcome Thanks for checking it out. You can check out a playable version here:

Tentacle Horror Webplayer

Use A,S,D,W and mouse for navigation. You might have to install the Unity Webplayer plugin in case you haven't already. Only takes a few seconds and doesn't hurt :)

Thomas Pasieka

TentacleHorrorScreenSnapz002.jpg

TentacleHorrorScreenSnapz004.jpg

TentacleHorrorScreenSnapz007.jpg

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool stuff! The Unity web player is pretty awesome.

Crits:
    • The bloom/steam is a bit much.
    • The caution stripe pattern is repeating in a weird way by switching directions.
    • The burst hole is pretty uniform, you should spend some polys making the transition to the floor smoother.
    • I'm not sure whats under the floor but it could be a cool play on the lighting (and highlight the tentacles) if you had a major light source coming from below the hole.
    • The room is slanted the bubbles are aligned to the room not actually up.
  • Thomas P.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey there Vig,

The bloom can be adjusted of course. Thanks for your opinion on that matter :) The caution stripe looks fine on my end. Could be a problem with the webplayer perhaps. I sure could have spend some more attention to the burst hole, you got a point there.

The room is not slanted as a matter of fact Vig. It's the camera itself that is tilted a bit to add to the spooky atmosphere. Thanks for you tips and for checking it out!

Anyone else with thoughts, comments ..anything?

Thomas P.
  • Aldo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's pretty cool...mostly because of the atmosphere it creates. Something that doesn't really come across in the still images.

Personally, I feel like the tentacles should animate..and since they don't, it kinda breaks the illusion. I might consider replacing those tentacles with something bigger that doesn't look like it should be animated. (or change their shape so it kinda 'droops' down like if it's hanging)
  • seankaremaker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It says Getty images on the small round window, this must have been intentional? it would be funny if you managed to miss that somehow
  • Thomas P.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It says Getty images on the small round window, this must have been intentional? it would be funny if you managed to miss that somehow

It is indeed intentional. Thanks for checking it out :)
  • Slash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slash polycounter lvl 19
    Cool, reminds me of a concept by Björn Hurri.
  • Thomas P.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slash wrote: »
    Cool, reminds me of a concept by Björn Hurri.

It reminds you of Bjorn Hurri because I asked him to do a paintover for me ;) Bjorn is just awesome..very nice guy with crazy talent.

Thomas
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    nice, is it easy to author for that player?
  • ptoing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice stuff there.

I agree it would be nicer if the tentacles animated a bit.
    Vig wrote: »
    [*]The caution stripe pattern is repeating in a weird way by switching directions.

I agree here as well. I think Vig meant that atm the caution stripe goes //\\//\\//\\ when normally caution stripes go /////// or \\\\\\\.

It still works, just not as readily says CAUTION STRIPE.
  • Thomas P.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO wrote: »
    nice, is it easy to author for that player?

I am using the "Unity" engine which you can find here:

http://unity3d.com/

Basically, the engine allows for you to deploy for:

• Standalone builds for Mac OS X (Universal Binary, or specific, smaller Intel/PPC-only builds) and Windows 2000/XP/Vista.

• Webplayer builds (works with most modern browsers)

• OSX Widgets

You can get all the details from their site. I have been working with Unity since the very early days and it's growing rapidly in all areas.

Thomas