Home Technical Talk

White seems aroud diffuse map with alpha??

Baz
Hey people, first post here.

I am making some low poly tree texture for 3dsmax using a diffuse and an alpha.
Its a simple tree picture with alpha applied on a plane.
The problem is that in Max, the alpha works but there's a white seems that suround the edges of my diffuse; just like if my tree was glowing with a white light.

I'm quite sure there is a simple way to correct this, either in photoshop or Max, but I just cant remember how...

Any help would be much appreciated
Thx

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Generally the cause of this is having a white background in your actual texture, you want to make sure there is some sort of padding in your diffuse texture. If you have xnormal installed, you have a photoshop plugin specifically for this purpose already

Another thing you can do is simply paint in the background behind your image, some neutral colors, so say around leaves you paint a green that closesly matches your leaves, and brown around the branches, etc. You get white because its bleeding off to that "unused" part of your texture.

If none of that works, try flaying with your alpha settings in max, try turning on pre-multiplied alpha or whatever other settings it has.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    add a similiar color of the tree to the background of the image it's probably bleeding the background color from the alpha a bit.
  • AnimeAngel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It would be helpful if you posted pics of the texture and the result. But it sounds like the alpha is not made correctly, Or it is not being multiplied correctly.
    What color is the background on the image with the alpha?
  • Baz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baz
    Damn, that was simple; it was only a matter of similar background color.
    Thank you all.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    another guess would be how your material in max is setuped, if you have the texture in the diffuse and the opacity slot, make sure that you have no alpha activated in the diffuse slot