Home General Discussion

A Question about Online Portfolios

So, I've been building my portfolio web site the past week, and pouring over my notes from resume classes and workshops. I'm feeling pretty confident about the content of my resume and work gallery. I've got a winning portfolio (read: I'm talking in theoretics as far as the content goes, here).

Now, one thing my resume classes have talked about are cover letters, having a customized personal statement/objective for each job I apply for, and having a good knowledge of the companies I submit resumes to. The latter I know will always hold up, but if my resume/portfolio are all online, should I not bother with sending cover letters or demo reels via snail mail? Has this become obsolete?

Replies

• Snowfly
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    Cover letters to game studios are usually a source of entertainment unfortunately.

A short unpretentious one in the email body should do the trick, unless the studio specifically asks for a separate cover letter (like Blizzard, if you're applying cold)
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    And having 'objectives' on resume's old school, had a professional resume writer for our classes and the objective 'is to get the job' so it's not needed any longer and saves room for more experience, most places (afaik) hire via an online portfolio and art tests. It's just easier to go to a website rather then shuffle through a bunch of CDs.
  • Mark Dygert
    Yep, your email is your cover letter with a link to your demo reel/portfolio. I don't think I need to tell you not to be generic and pretentious. Drop the "Dear Sir and or Madam" Business formality. I personally zone out and am left wondering "ok so whats this guy reeally like?" but don't unleash all of your personality disorders all at once.

Also... post you're killer portfolio here, and then fix whatever is wrong with it =P
  • Wells
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    I don't mind the sir or madam business... but then I don't really read the cover letter. I scan for links to portfolios. After checking that out, and their resume, I might go back and read what they say...

They do stand out if they're done poorly, though. You notice that immediately. One person forgot to check the font when they typed in my company name at the head of their generic cover letter. har har.

You had better not have a splash page on your website.