Home General Discussion

Toronto?

Considering a move up there. Any polycounters there, and what do you like/dislike about the town?

Replies

• MikeF
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    its got everything you could want, but at the same time i start to feel claustrophobic after spending a fair amount of time on the streets during the day, just too crowded for my tastes.

i don't live there or anything, but from my experience, its great to visit, but i found after about 3-4 weeks I'd had enough. And its not to say i don't like large cities, Montreal is paradise as far as I'm concerned.
  • adam
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Eric, I spent the first 22 years of my life there. Whaddya want to know specifically?

Also, why do you want to move up to Toronto?
  • Saidin311
    Offline / Send Message
    Saidin311 polycounter lvl 11
    I've lived in the t-dot my entire life. I love it here, even though it gets a bad rap from the rest of the country!

Some of the people are a bit snotty, but no more than you'd get in any other major city.
  • Mezz
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    I love T.O. too :) It's a lot of what you'd get from big cities like NY, but smaller and therefore less uh... crazy and overpopulated. Lots to do and see, tons of great restuarants/bars/etc.
    People aren't as open and friendly as some places, but we're a cool lot once you get to know us :P And yes, the rest of Canada will hate you... lol but no worries. They're clearly just jealous ;) (Kidding!)

Other cons... not the greatest Transit system. Could be much better, but I guess it could also be worse.

Toronto may not be for everyone, but if you like it, then it's a great place!

I'm curious too, though, why TO? As for as places for the gaming industry, Toronto is far from being a hot spot, so far. Not that I'm asking to deter you :p
  • soulstice
    Offline / Send Message
    soulstice polycounter lvl 9
    I love Toronto too, lived here almost all my life. I love the diversity of the city(tons of different food, restaurants, places to see), it can get a little too crowded on occasion, especially the public transits. Also the gaming industry is slim to none here. gl =)
  • Eric Chadwick
    A friend recommended me to a game developer up there, he knows the principals well, and they're looking for a tech-minded AD.

Sounds like the dev community is pretty scarce though, a sobering thought.

Thanks for the insights.
  • Mezz
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    It seems like a bunch of places WANT to develop in Toronto, but Ontario doesn't receive Goverment funding for the gaming industry. Therefore, it's a lot more expensive so not as many people want to set places up here, unlike other Canadian provinces like Quebec and BC.
    Seeing as this is such a growing industry and could bring in lots of revenue for the province, some people are trying to convince the Gov't to start funding us here in Ontario. It will hopefully happen, but who knows when.

This is from what I've heard from a few people, so sorry if I'm misinformed on any points. :)
  • Eric Chadwick
    More informed than I. Interesting, thanks Mezz.
  • sir-knight
    Offline / Send Message
    sir-knight polycounter lvl 10
    We do get ontario and federal tax credits, not any specific to gaming, but there is money for any canadian produced content whether it be broadcast or games, it draws from the same pool of grant money.

I know cause I had to sign documents stating I was a citizen so we could get the credits -_-.

Toronto should have a fair number of 3d jobs though, and it can only change for the better, I'm hearing rumblings of more grants opening up for our kind of work.
  • Uly
    Offline / Send Message
    Uly polycounter lvl 17
    A few cool companies, but not enough devs in the end. Moving over to Toronto might have long term issues associated with it. When it comes to Canada, the best options are pretty much BC and Quebec.
  • bluekangaroo
    Offline / Send Message
    bluekangaroo polycounter lvl 13
    Mezz wrote: »
    It seems like a bunch of places WANT to develop in Toronto, but Ontario doesn't receive Goverment funding for the gaming industry. Therefore, it's a lot more expensive so not as many people want to set places up here, unlike other Canadian provinces like Quebec and BC.
    Seeing as this is such a growing industry and could bring in lots of revenue for the province, some people are trying to convince the Gov't to start funding us here in Ontario. It will hopefully happen, but who knows when.

This is from what I've heard from a few people, so sorry if I'm misinformed on any points. :)

Ive read actually that WE DO receive funding like in Quebec and that it is BC developers that are fighting for the same from their provinces gov't.
  • Mezz
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    Really? That seems pretty odd to me, considering that BC has TONS of studios and we... really don't. Unless it's not funding, but some other financial aid to companies that we don't recieve here but Quebec and BC do? Perhaps I'm confusing what I've heard...
  • JacqueChoi
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Their hockey team sucks.

Cool place though.