Class Assignment

PolyCountUser1234
polycounter lvl 11

Replies

• Kawe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kawe polycounter lvl 8
    hey hey, can you post your textures? cause it looks really suspicious to me. a very wet building indeed.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    yes, wires and texture sheet would help us critique it..
  • PolyCountUser1234
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyCountUser1234 polycounter lvl 11
  • Jet_Pilot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jet_Pilot polycounter lvl 10
    the normal on the building is WAY to big... tile it a few times
  • ChrisG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ChrisG polycounter lvl 14
    never never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever *breath*...ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever create a normal map from a "raw" texture, always use high poly geometry and bake it onto a low poly, its like a cardinal sin or sumfink!
    Well its ok for minor things to add minor details but not for an entire model.

there is a tut showing you how to create a normal map for a texture, showing you how not to do it (straight throough crazy bump) and showing you how to do it, creating height information in photoshop but I cant find it, anyone any ideas?
    chris
  • karera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    karera polygon
    ... And i see no reason rounding up the edges like that on that wooden crate with so many extra polygons..
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    crazy bump is best for one thing IMO, creating brushes for zbrush, this it does very well
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    chrizz1 wrote: »
    there is a tut showing you how to create a normal map for a texture, showing you how not to do it (straight throough crazy bump) and showing you how to do it, creating height information in photoshop but I cant find it, anyone any ideas?
    chris

Possibly Talons?

http://www.hull-breach.com/Talon/temp/normalMapMiniTut.jpg
  • ChrisG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ChrisG polycounter lvl 14
    DING DING DING!! We have a winner, free e-cookie winging its way to you:)

Saoribaby, I would suggest having a read through that.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dekard hit the nail on the head with the normal/spec maps.

The crate boards are glued to one another? A search for ref shows most of the wooden crates are slotted and slats fit inside the end caps with added nails to reinforce. Most also have handles of some kind.
  • Jackd Up
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    overall I think you have a good start on the crate. I agree with the edges of the crate don't have those loops. The front boards should vary this will add to the realism, nice grunge work on the board with the head stamp, that works well. I would suggest d-saturating the whole wood texture a bit it looks like atomic redwood. good work so far
    J
  • frubes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i think what you need to do is go right back to the modelling stage on your building. Forget about the textures for the moment and observe buildings from life. Most buildings are far more than just a box and have far more interesting silhouettes than yours.

The difference between a good building and a bad one is in the small details. Think about what can be done in texture and what has to be modelling to add to the silhouette.

Think about adding extras such as:

- Bent drain pipes to break up the straight lines on the corner of your building
    - Shutters, both open and closed over your windows. Maybe some boards as you have.
    - Currently everything is very flat. Think of how you can incorporate things which project away from your buildings.
    - adding wiring and transformer boxes to accept power cables.
    - Electrical meters on the exterior
    - signage etc

Take a look at this old house, i dont know if you where going for a specific style but these kind of old buildings are a good place to start.

http://www.cgtextures.com/texview.php?id=12074&PHPSESSID=578012b999a3d61fc39a495b8a024dd1

see how it has all those interesting little details which allow you to know instantly its a building. Currently yours is lacking these key elements. The overhang on the top of the building is great for casting shadows and breaking up the facade of a building.

Just observe buildings from life and work on recreating that. 1024 is a massive texture and you can cram a lot of detail into it before it starts to break down.
  • PolyCountUser1234
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    On a side note, the tri count for this assignment was 10k tri's, hence why it has 9660 amount of tri's.

Other wise it would have been much smaller

RIGHT miss *stern glare*

I would do another render for a close up too. A bit to far away for someserious comments. From the looks of it though, that copper piping turned out great!
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    Guitar looks good. I have seen tons of people model that guitar, what school is assigning that guitar?
  • Reich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice lighting set up and spec work >.> *cough*

agreed on putting up a close up shot. and once you get the high poly bake on there with the gears and bolts is should be looking ace!

but on the spec side id paint in some places you want high lights, lighten up the edges that would be used the most ect. keep it up.
  • PolyCountUser1234
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    SaoriBaby wrote: »
    Hi everyone! I have two new props that need some critiques! :] if you would be so kind to drop your two cents, I'd appreciate it!

Da images not showing.
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    I didn't know tape could shine like that... they most be washing them weapons pretty good after slicing someones head off :P

Taking your diffuse and cranking the levels up on them doesn't make it a spec man... are you sure that wood should be that shiny? I don't think so...

Look at real world reference for a second and see how objects react to light, then hammer out a couple of simple models focusing more on making a spec map that actually works.

You're getting there man but take a step back for a bit and focus more on the basics first, rushing into the cool techy shit before understanding how and why that techy shit works will hurt you in the end.