Home General Discussion

Google buying Valve?

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13772_3-10044032-52.html

Google being involved in the games industry... hmm...

Replies

• adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Valve already came out and said, neigh.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    i understand that. but i was a little urked it wasn't a thread on my forum.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
  • diminished_Self
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    diminished_Self polycounter lvl 12
    i believe google wasnt so much interested in the production side of things, i get the feeling they were more after the digital delivery juggernaut that is steam. fits more with their style then the day to day shit that goes with actually making games.

and adam: i say neigh to you sir. neigh most hard.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Oh god, I was like NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO IT CAN'T BE TRUE NOT VALVE!!!!..... Yeah first Ensemble then this... I'm glad Valve said no. What, is google the next microsoft?
  • Flynny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flynny polycounter lvl 9
    Damn, that would be a bad thing to happen.
    I'd imagine that if google had Valve under there belt, with all that extra cash they would definately be making the most perfec, perfect games ever!
    (course they would be released once a decade, but the point stands! ;p )

Anyways Google isnt the next Microsoft, there their competition ;)
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    Valve doesn't need the google bucks, they're already rolling in extra cash courtesy of revenue from Steam.

Rumor or not, props to them for moving themselves up the food chain and succesfully building up the defacto for digital distribution.
  • RazorBladder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RazorBladder polycounter lvl 18
    Can you imagine that?

You buy Half-Life 4 and the intro video says "Developed by Google."

Somehow I think that'd seriously shred a large chunk of the awesome factor out of the product :P
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    I am still waiting for the Google OS.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You guys do realise that Doug Lombardi's mentioned that Valve is 'open for acquisition', right? Since someone already mentioned Microsoft, let's imagine they buy up Valve... or that EA does. Personally, I was somewhat relievedfor it to be google. Ofcourse, Valve being entirely independent is preferable by far, but it doesn't seem like that'll be an option forever.

I'm curious what the Inquirer (the original source of this rumour, with their 'trustworthy sources') has to say now. I'd love to see a system being put into place that rates media outlets (papers, websites, the whole lote) based on how many cockups they produce, especially of the "this is totally true guys, believe us"-variety, since if it turns out not to be true, that really does say a lot about how trustworthy they are.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang: really? It would most likely be something much like gOS (http://www.thinkgos.com), and since I suspect you're not using Linux right now, what would it being 'officially google' do that'd make a difference? A Google OS wouldn't be much OS, would it? It'd be a vehicle for online services, using things like Adobe Air and Mozilla Prism to integrate the applications with the desktop, which is already possible. And it might feature Wine in some capacity, seeing as how Google recently submitted patches to make Photoshop cs2 run better under Wine, and their photo-software Picasa runs on Wine.
    Still, I refuse to see how anything Google does would suddenly make Linux a viable option. Check out gOS, you might like it. Or Ubuntu, on which it's based.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If they really want Valve (steam), there's little valve can do about. Think back to the yahoo MS buyout that almost happened, only this time the boa will actually kill its prey before tying to swallow it. It's sad when "no" means "hurt me more snake!"
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't think Google has aquired any unwilling companies, so far. It'd be a sign of desperation. Like Microsoft's desperation at being a relatively minor player in the online field, despite repeatedly throwing money at it. Which they tried to solve by buying up a slightly less irrelevant company.