http://kelvintam.org

I'm looking for critique for the site. thanks

Replies

• PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    Hey man,
    I like the background color, feels nice a chill. the multicolored text is a bit much, maybe go with something a bit more subtle that compliments the grey, such as an off white or something. right now its kinda crazy, purple visited links, green and teal...kinda mishmashed, but an easy fix. also, find an interesting but readable font to give it some attitude and personality! when i see the default font It is usually the sign of someone new.

I would perhaps add a gradient to the background from the grey you have now to a darker one, it could add some pop and depth to the site. also, everything is currently all to the left, it feels kinda unbalanced. i would center it and maybe put the content in something that takes it away from the background, like what polycount has here, the content in the center, with borders on either side. just some thoughts. also, i would ditch the cloudsbehind your name etc and find some way to give it a nice header that integrates better with the site.

The work itself is pretty decent, the floating market thinger looks nice, i would maybe add some contrast to the wood, maybe some weathering and maybe do something better with the lighting, IE more extreme, it has an overall same level of light, get some nice shadows in there alsong with some highlights.

hope this all helps man!
  • onionhead_o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    onionhead_o polycounter lvl 16
    i have revamp the whole website now. check it out.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    A portfolio has two main features, portfolio and resume/CV.

Having your portfolio as the first thing is a great start.

Other 3D art section is empty, remove it.

2d art, not sure I see the value of this section.

Demo reel is empty, remove it.

Why are Resume and Contact info separate? They are unified on your downloadable version. Not having this info on a resume seems like one of the bigger resume mistakes to make.

An old pet peeve of mine is people labeling things as game art and presenting it in max, maya or whatever they can think of that isn't a game. Your resume says your have skills in Unreal, so why don't you present some of these scenes in Unreal?

Take your dungeon scene for example. This is clearly meant to be game art, but the presentation is just awful due to it being rendering is god-know-what with bad lighting. Had you simply popped this in unreal and learned a little bit about setting up the scene it'd look hundred times better. Additionally, Unreal engine would work nicely with your disco dungeon style lighting.

The moral of the story is, less clutter more realtime.
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd consider losing the 'sections' and just display larger images on the main page, leaving the single props toward the end of the images.

Your strongest work is the dungeon and market which are both pretty good, yet they take up just as much initial space as the smaller props on your home page.
  • onionhead_o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally I have been able to come around with the changes. this time around I have added some VFX work and also updating some of the props with better textures. I have tried to incorporate all the critiques that was commented in this thread.

site is still work in progress

http://kelvintam.org
  • jeremiah_bigley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jeremiah_bigley polycounter lvl 12
    Just some first thoughts...

not a big fan of the home page. It looks incomplete, almost like an empty template. There are no pictures, and it has this giant "work goes here" kind of text.

Would be nice to have something on the Game Art thumbnail and VFX Thumbnail to kind of indicate that there is something inside.

Not a big fan of the way you did your name... It sort of screams photoshop layer styles a bit too much. I would go simple, or spend time really designing something because everyone can go into photoshop and do drop shadows, glows, and strokes. They are okay in moderation... but it looks cheap when it screams layer styles.

As you said it is WIP so... keep up the work and changes man :)
  • EVIL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    I took a look and I have no idea what kind of work you are looking for.. VFX, or game development. I'd say, make a choice.
  • Blaisoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaisoid polycounter lvl 7
    if you want to show other people's concepts, show them below your pics not above them. they aren't what you want to showcase so showing them on top makes them steal attention.

also, what's the connection between stop sign and a spear? those objects come in pairs but it's hard to tell why.
    also:
    -church altar - no need to show 3 untextured low poly screens for such simple object
    -stop sign - dirt shouldn't carve the metal. bolts could use stains below them.
    -shotgun - i'd use a white main light instead of some purplish color
  • onionhead_o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jeremiah_bigley: thanks. I should definitely add some images on the thumbnails. maybe something like a rollover image. As for the Banner, Im getting mixed opinions so I really dono wut to do with it.

EVIL: I would love to get a job in game development, but i dont have the time to make 2 seperate websites for Games and VFX. I am actually looking for work in both fields. So therefore I am combining both into one website.

Blastoid: I couldnt believe i didnt see that thanks.my intial idea was to show the concept i was basing the model off of. For the shotgun ill go back and redo the lighting. As for the stop sign i will tone down the bump on the rust stains. Wut happens is that the player has the power to Transform normal objects like the stop into the Spear, how the transformation look like i duno to be honest. These weapons is for a Egyptian theme based 3rd person shooter/action game.