Home General Discussion

Need industry help or guidance...or any at all

Hey guys, like the title says, I need like guidance or advice on the industry. I meant to put advice from anyone else as well, just wanted some advice from someone at a studio already.

So heres my deal, I have a dream and drive to want to work at Bungie studios. It may be shooting high but I have had this dream to go and work there since I was fifteen or so.

I want to work there for the experience and dream, not just cause they made Halo. Ever since I touched video games I knew I wanted to make games, and when I played Halo:CE I knew I really want to get into the gaming industry.

Now, I have gone to school and gotten a degree in Computer Animation. So I also have done contract 3D work and now currently work at a 3D Animation studio. At the studio I am at now I am the main environment artist and hardsurface modeler.

What i need advice on or guidance is I am curious on my modeling. I can model low-poly and high-res so I have diversity. I want to know what is something that have to be done to be considered game modeling.

I just want to know whats some main thing I need to know about game modeling besides staying in the count. If you can please tell me anything in game modeling that you can.. technique, preferences, specs, conditions, etc...

Now for the demo reel and resume stuff... I have been in the industry for right at a year. If I were to apply to Bungie, what are some thing I need to show to show im good at game modeling? Also to show im a good artist and have what it takes.

Sorry for typing so long, and thanks for reading so far... I just wanna know from anyone industry or not... what should I know and what should I do.. I am in the works to finish my website and getting resume done up, and recutting my student reel until I get my new reel done. I know I have what it takes to work there and the drive. I just wanna make sure im on par with modeling needs by the studio.

Sorry if it bounced all over the place haha just trying to put it all together what I wanan know and ask. If you guys could please help me and give me feedback I would greatly appreciate it..:thumbup:

Replies

• Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    go ahead and enter the unearthy challenge. If done right you will have a great environment piece conducive to the game industry, and all your questions will be answered.
  • e-freak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Show your portfolio, you get some feedback.

You may also try to do something that could fit into the next Bungie Game, and put that into your portfolio - from first concept sketch to final game model (e.g. the Master Chief with some new extras).
  • Heathmeister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aye I am in the Unearthly Challenge and competing. What im saying is on the model side of things is what I post in my portfolio may look good, but say if I did get the job would my modeling skills there be right. Like im worried that if being there I dont do it right off the bat. I turn on backface culling or one sided normals and such.

This may sound confusing to some of you who read lol, but I am trying to say it clear as I can. Im just nervous is if i got the job that I wouldnt be modeling the way they need models to be.

Im doing some stuff for my website that shows I took concept directly and modeled it.

Keep the comments coming guys....
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    You'll have leads letting you know exactly how the models need to be for whatever proejct you work on, just show you are a competent model and texture artist. It's understandable when the new guy takes a short while to learn the pipeline.

You do plan on talking to your teammates don't you?
  • Heathmeister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly wrote: »
    You'll have leads letting you know exactly how the models need to be for whatever proejct you work on, just show you are a competent model and texture artist. It's understandable when the new guy takes a short while to learn the pipeline.

You do plan on talking to your teammates don't you?

Oh yes most definately lol

I am a very people person and a team player, I always have to communicate anyways or ill bore byself to death if i dont have interaction with others..

Plus my teammates are my roomates... we all work at the same studio right now.
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    Cheers man, did you get my PM?

Thought this might of interest to you-
    http://derelict.ichian.org/models/Bungie.html
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh wrote: »
    go ahead and enter the unearthy challenge. If done right you will have a great environment piece conducive to the game industry, and all your questions will be answered.

Worst case scenario, you learn a ton and you're one step closer to putting an amazing portfolio piece together. Even if you don't make anything you want show off you still will learn a TON. At the bare min it would be a really good idea to browse other peoples threads and learn from their headaches.
  • salman_fas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly wrote: »
    Cheers man, did you get my PM?

Thought this might of interest to you-
    http://derelict.ichian.org/models/Bungie.html

And this too
    http://www.salman3d.com/thumb/image9.html
  • Heathmeister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vig wrote: »
    Worst case scenario, you learn a ton and you're one step closer to putting an amazing portfolio piece together. Even if you don't make anything you want show off you still will learn a TON. At the bare min it would be a really good idea to browse other peoples threads and learn from their headaches.

Aye... I am following peoples entries and postings in the challenge, so I can read anything that may help me somehow.

True also on getting time to learn a studios pipeline... I guess im just nervous to apply to my dream job and such and get in and not be what they expected, however I would try my hardest never to have to leave if I was there.

I am just trying to make sure I get the game modeling down right and the proper way of doing it.. I am a perfectionists so i always panic or worry about if am doing anything the right way.

Also snowfly I did get your PM.... Thanks Much

:poly124:
  • e-freak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you fear you don't know what to do over there - most studios i know do PLAN in ~3 weeks of tools/pipeline learning for every newcomer. No worries you don't get the hang in that timespan. And if you do something wrong you can always just ask the person next to you for advise.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I guess im just nervous to apply to my dream job and such and get in and not be what they expected, however I would try my hardest never to have to leave if I was there.

I am just trying to make sure I get the game modeling down right and the proper way of doing it.. I am a perfectionists so i always panic or worry about if am doing anything the right way.
    I wouldn't worry about getting in and not being able to do the job, if that happens its the fault of the people who hired you. =P

If you get in some place, they are pretty confident you can do the job.