Beauty Shot #1

WaywardMachine_BeautyShot1.jpg

Beauty Shot #2

Concept Sheet

Construction Sheet

Texture Sheet

Original Post :
Logo_toctoctoc.gif

Hey, Team TocTocToc (yeah we voted for the stupidest team name possible), composed of Funshark, GoSsS and myself, have started working on this concept:

thumb88.jpg

Vague Backstory :

Our general idea is to keep the city atmosphere and setting, but transform the machine into some kind of evil alien machinery that crashed down into the city, and that is slowly consuming it, by expanding cables and pipes and random tech-stuff all over the city.

Good luck everyone!

Replies

• GoSsS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GoSsS polycounter lvl 14
    Quick sketch to give a vague idea of what we want.

rough1.jpg

Cables, pipes and other stuff are not visible on this sketch because I created the machinery in its closed state.
  • wim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wim
    nice concept so far
  • garagarape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garagarape polycounter lvl 9
    Congratulations Toc! How are Toc and Toc doing? :)
    I've been checking Polycount site a hundred time today to have a look at you work. Good luck to the three of you. I'm sure you'll do something great. See you soon.
  • M-Grafx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pretty awesome work dude :)
    keep up the good work

• GoSsS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GoSsS polycounter lvl 14
    Et zou !

First prop of the scene.
    I just placed it in two UT3's maps to see it in 2 different atmospheres.

Lampost.jpg
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    fix those smoothing groups!
  • garagarape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah nice! The street names are just killing it's mother :)
    I'm looking forward to go back home (to see the lamposts that are on the way home of course). Keep lam-posting man!
  • petrol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice work on most of that lamp post there - only problem for me apart from what killingpeople said, is that the opaque texture where the glass should be spoils it completely for me. You should really just give it some alpha lovin' and model a bulb or whatever inside it and work with dynamic lights+emissive maps to get the right effect. Concept is nice tho :)
  • Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    Thanks for the comments people! =)

Messed around trying to find some machine design, we want it to be unearthly, but not fall into the clich
  • garagarape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh! It's beautiful. erh... I mean terrific! I was just wondering if the sphere was big enough to contain all the tentacules and stuff the machine is filled with before crashing (landing?). well forget it, I'm just a little jaleous because I wouldn't be abble to draw like that. See you.
  • funshark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    funshark polycounter lvl 16
    Hi there,

Here some early concepts I've done before moving to another direction.

For the main focus of the scene, we are still trying to find the right shape with the proper explanation for it.

GGZ_concept01.jpg
    GGZ_concept02.jpg
    GGZ_concept03.jpg
  • Peris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Peris polycounter lvl 17
    very cool concepts!
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bluekangaroo polycounter lvl 13
    sweet...nice work so far
  • garagarape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, nice! I like the sphere with paterns printed on (the drawing on the middle of your last post).
    The old style machinery that follows is great too.But wouldn't a mix with Bal's last drawing work better? That's not an easy question but I'm sure you'll find a better design by mixing both drawing.
  • pikmin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great concepts!
    Is that un umbrella on the last machine ? Cute :D
  • GoSsS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GoSsS polycounter lvl 14
    Here is some news :

BuildingA.jpg

This building using a 1024x1024 diffuse, normal and spec maps.

For the moment, Bal works on the crashed vessel, Funshark ... just takes vacation (grrr :p) and I work on a fountain.
  • M-Grafx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great stuff
    it rock's :thumbup:
  • Mangled Poly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mangled Poly polycounter lvl 18
    very cool update!

A few crits:
    Those columns on the bottom level are they suppose to only go halfway up the walls? The ones on all the other levels go all the way up.

The building to sidewalk transition is a bit harsh to me for some reason maybe some more grime buildup on the edge of the sidewalk?

Lastly where is this going to be in your scene? if it is one of the main buildings up close I would add some more unique detail to it. Right now it is very modular so you see a lot of repeating elements. Using items like window air conditioners, balconies with vegetation, front doors, and unique wear may help break it up.

Again I am sure you have a lot of those planned out but I thought I would suggest some in case you did not!
  • GoSsS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GoSsS polycounter lvl 14
    Those columns on the bottom level are they suppose to only go halfway up the walls? The ones on all the other levels go all the way up.

I just use this image as a reference and as you can see there is some columns that only go halfway up the wall. Probably 'cause of the arch.

http://flickr.com/photos/deanmelbourne/849946370/sizes/o/
    The building to sidewalk transition is a bit harsh to me for some reason maybe some more grime buildup on the edge of the sidewalk?

Yup I'll do that because as you say, the transition between the sidewalk and the building is a little bit to harsh.
    Lastly where is this going to be in your scene? if it is one of the main buildings up close I would add some more unique detail to it. Right now it is very modular so you see a lot of repeating elements. Using items like window air conditioners, balconies with vegetation, front doors, and unique wear may help break it up.

This structure will not be really close in the final image but I will add some props as you say to add more details.
    But air conditioners is not possible 'cause the scene takes place in the 1900's. So probably, vegetation, front doors (as you suggested), fire stairs, blinds, rails and probably decals to add some random dirt.
  • Mangled Poly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mangled Poly polycounter lvl 18
    Cool it is looking great...

One last comment looking at your ref I would extend those half columns on the bottom floor the full length of your wsll like the ref. Its a small nitpick I know :p

Keep rocking!
  • Orb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Orb polycounter lvl 13
    hehehe, great stuff, it is increasingly nice. I'm getting so impatient to see that all finished.
  • Box
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Box
    Looking good. I hope that building is broken into modular pieces :P Looking forward to seeing more.
  • fei-rukawa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the logo ;)
    keep up the good work
  • garagarape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice! I like the slight gradation from blue to orange on your building. Don't make us wait to much for the next post :)
  • GoSsS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GoSsS polycounter lvl 14
    And here is an update ... Many more stuff to show.
    Lighting is still in progress but the atmosphere is roughly the one we want.
    I'll finish the second type building tomorrow and add some skyscrapers all around.
    The 2 weeks extension time will give us time to do some other props (benches, trashes ...)

Beginning.jpg

It's still very empty but as you can see we've only placed 2 buildings ;).
    And as you can imagine, the crashed vessel is just put in the crate but totally unfinished (Bal needs to do some more tweaks on it and begin the texture work ;) let's go mate; use your color pencils ;))

By the way, we have a problem with the vertex color bake into the unreal engine. As you can see on the screen under, the vertex color is very harsh between 2 different meshes.

VC_Pb.jpg

Do you know a trick to get rid of this thing ? or an idea of where this could come from.
  • garagarape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not sure but... Try this:
    You probably have to do two things.
    1) Regulate the range of your point lights. Actually it may be too much wide and could have a slight influence on low-vertexed ground parts that are too far appart from your light source.
    2) Split more the planes wich are located close to your light source.
    By the way, do you have normal map on your ground? Iff so, try to take it off and generate your vertex lighting once more. I had a strange problem with it when I tried to build a non-bsp ground once.
  • Peris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Peris polycounter lvl 17
    i got that error as well, drives me nuts. I just ended up making lightmaps which seems to smooth out everything nicely.
    You spend more time in unreal3 fixing lighting bugs than making the actual lighting :(
  • Thefirston
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thefirston polycounter lvl 9
    this is looking great so far guys. its obvious your going to be adding more stuff so i'll hold back on critiques a little. though i will say that the spikey ball thing should be lit a little brighter to see all the cool in it. im assuming this is the main focal point so you'll need to show that off the most and slightly dim the lights of everything else
  • Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    Yeah, we aren't showing it yet cause I need to get off my lazy ass and actually finish unwrapping it and baking the normal map for it, should have a few renders this weekend!

Been a bit disorganised when it comes to the general composition of the scene, we're kind of improvising where to put what as we go, and changing our minds alot (probably due to being so tired of having stupidly annoying specs to follow at work, it's good to be able to do things however you want!). But I think once we've tightened up the graphics a bit (heh), it should work out ok.
  • Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    Ok, bit late but here's some quick renders of the sphere-machine-thingy-(of-doom) high poly.
    Obviously the extruded cylinder bits will be attached to big evil pipes, and there will be alot more grit, and less shine.

machinehipoly.jpg

Low poly with normal maps soon hopefully.
  • GoSsS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GoSsS polycounter lvl 14
    Pretty nice mate ... :p .... pretty prettttyyy prettty good :D
    Can't wait to see it in Low poly.

Tomorrow we'll post an update of the scene with more stuff in it.
  • Graff Pirate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nice little orb of doom!
  • misterboogie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    misterboogie polycounter lvl 11
    Cool! The highpoly looks great!

What are you using to generate your normal maps? I've been using Xnormal.

(Forrest Gump like voice) "I like it alot."
  • EzMeow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EzMeow polycounter lvl 10
    Yay, pretty nice!! \o.O/
  • Orb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Orb polycounter lvl 13
    yeah, very nice Orb (huhu), cant wait to see it with nice textures, and tubes!
  • GoSsS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GoSsS polycounter lvl 14
    Update on the overall scene.
    We will create some other props (benches, trash, Fire hydrant ...) to add some more details.

Shot2.jpg

The closer building from the vessel will be destroyed.
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
  • funshark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    funshark polycounter lvl 16
    Here the final \o/

WaywardMachine_ConceptSheet.jpg

WaywardMachine_ConstructionSheet.jpg

WaywardMachine_TextureSheet.jpg

WaywardMachine_BeautyShot1.jpg

WaywardMachine_BeautyShot2.jpg

Enjoy!:)
  • M-Grafx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    great work guys
    CONGRATS :D
  • Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    Woot, so yeah we finished on time yesterday night, had to rush a few things, but I'm quite happy we made the deadline. =)
    Thanks to GoSsS and Funshark for their hard work, especially GoSsS without whom this entry would most likely have never seen completion on time!

Here's a quick shot I made showing in more detail the machine and pipes, high poly and low poly, I finished up yesterday :

machinenpipes.jpg

Congrats to all those who finished!
  • Martin Henriksson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Martin Henriksson polycounter lvl 9
    Looks great :) Nice touch with the meteor in the background.