Home Contests & Challenges Archives

Unearthly Challenge | RJHALVORSON | Glory in the Highest

Hey everyone,

I hate to have my first post here an entry for a competition. I wish I knew about this website sooner, I've only just discovered it this week from a buddy of mine. In the final year of school I've been looking to take on extra projects to help my portfolio out and I saw this and got really excited.

Anyways, there is a lot of talent in the field here and it's got me jacked up and nervous at the same time. So I look forward to this and without further ado, I give you the concept piece that I will be working with for this competition.

I have a pretty solid idea that I will share with all of you as soon as I get some work done, but I wanted to get my thread in because now I have a sense of urgency. Starting behind, so it's time to do work!

-Russ

20_broken_church.jpg

Replies

• rjhalvorson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    unearthlyintial.jpg

Well, I'm not much of a concept guy, but I wanted to just throw a quick paint over/throw down my idea so I have something to look at when blocking. I saw the initial image and felt like it post apocalyptic but yet peaceful. A Church in a pile of rubble brings WWII to mind and I wanted to capture that feeling of irony. With the hole in the roof, my imagination thought of perhaps a small infantry unit perhaps defending the town, taking another town, saw the hole in the wall as well and decided to put in a Howitzer using the freestanding structure as cover from snipers, ect.

Now I am no military expert, and have no idea if you'd be able to accurately fire a 105mm gun inside a church out of a limited window with any degree of accuracy or purpose. However, since this is a competition, I'm going to go with awesome over practicality because I'd buy it if it was in a game.

The idea for the piece is to have extreme lighting enshrining the weapon and warm colors to bring the image forward, while using darker cooler areas to have the other areas of the final piece recede of away from the focal point. I'm hoping to achieve a comical irony of good and evil.
  • rjhalvorson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just an updated. I want to fully block out everything before I start putting in detail. Little concerned about the curvature of the wall with an archway through it but I think I have a solution ironed out that should look good.

Since the church is symmetrical, I'm going to basically model the good side and then mirror over and destroy the other side. I'm hoping to knock out the rest of the blocking and initial detail by tomorrow.

WIP3.jpg
  • rjhalvorson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just a little update. I finished most of the blocking, started detailing modeling specific areas and then start texturing as I go. Since the building was symmetrical before it was caved in by carpet bombing, my strategy is going to be to model the good side and texture it, and then using the already laid out UV's, break up the geometry and add detail where I see fit.

The light isn't finalized, just wanted to start to get a sense of what the shot was going to look like. The hdri image that I have isn't really the sky I want for the scene, I want some ominous blue clouds, with the very yellowish flat light that you get with the cloud filter like I have in the concept art.

wip4.jpg
  • rjhalvorson
  • PixelGoat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelGoat polycounter lvl 12
    Love the idea of the cannon :)
  • rjhalvorson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelGoat wrote: »
    Love the idea of the cannon :)

Thanks, was hoping I would get some feedback sooner or later, it's hit or miss in these forums, I'm going to start moving more finished pieces to the top it draws more interest.

I'm pretty excited about the canon idea. The altar piece is nearly finished and I've got a really good idea for how the lighting will end up on this one so I look forward to sharing more soon :)