Offline / Send Message
Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
Team: Super Happy Umbrella

Members:
Jackablade
Dmoz
BMB

79_bio_trainyard.jpg
We're looking at doing some kind of shanty town built from scrap under ground beside the train lines. An evil shanty town housing mole people. Evil mole people.

That's about as far as we've got so far. Poorly drawn concept art soon.

Replies

• Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ...and with much grinding of gears and a little kangaroo hopping, the Super Happy Umbrella warmachine moves into action.

The original concept 79 is a shot of a train station from the perspective of a hole in a station wall (that was my interpretation, at least). I thought building what was on the inside of that hole might be interesting.
    Basically, what we're looking at is that there's been a family group of homeless people who've turned to cannibalism living here and preying on the train passengers. The items found around the home are all materials found around the station or taken from victims. I'm hoping to get plenty of personality into this home area with the family's personal affects, along with an interesting contrast between the well lit and spacious station area and the cramped, dark and smokey side area.

unearthlyscribblers3.th.jpg
    A scribble I knocked together at the laundromat.

CannibalLairsketchlayoutcopyLarge.jpg
    An early translation of said scribble into something vaguely usable by our concept artist BMB, shot from the other side of the hole in the wall.

There's still a fair bit of noodling about to do with concepts, but we should have something 3d up by Monday.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some more nifty refinement. Spikey bits are pending change.
    CannibalLairConceptKitchenSideLarge.jpg
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Left half of the room - the sleeping quarters, camera rotated 180 degrees from the base concept.
    CannbalLairSleepingSidecopyLarge.jpg

Crits, comments and suggestions are welcome.
  • Dmoz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dmoz polycounter lvl 17
    Finally got a chance to do some work, not much but a start.

tracksfc8.jpg
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The idea continues to evolve:
    LairfacingOriginalConceptLarge.jpg
    The idea we're currently looking at is that this is an old train station that was condemned and then walled up to keep out the urban explorers (not that that ever seems to stop them). Jump forward to present day, the station has been refurbished with new platforms and such but some of the old rooms remain unused and blocked off. At some stage canibal mole people (or CHUDS, I guess) have drifted in through the train tunnels and now reside in an old decrepit departure lounge. They've knocked a hole in one of the blocked doors to allow access to the station and are now feeding on passengers who happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. Their lair is festooned with items looted from the stations old and new and the passengers that they prey on.
    We want to emphasise the fact that this is a home to these people with makeshift and scavengened furniture arranged in a fashion that would be comfortable for a family (albiet a family who kills and eats people on a regular basis), personal effects and decorations. Stuff you'd see in a regular family home or as close as they can get to it.
    In order to accentuate this, one of the Mole People is a young child. At this stage this is just represented by a few looted toys and smaller bedding, but I think we'll want to push this more as we get further into the project.

I think that covers everything. The idea seems to evolve with each new concept, so it might be something different next time.

Say hi if you drop by the thread, guys. It'd nice to know that someone is looking.
  • kat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kat polycounter lvl 17
    "Hi". Also, most of the images don't show for me.. *shrugs*
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It looks like Imageshack is down. I'll change the host.

EDIT: Can't do much about DMoz' progress shot. I imagine it'll reappear eventually.
  • BMB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BMB
    Hello, BMB here, thought I'd also say high and stop hiding being Jackablade and Dmoz. :D

Here is the latest concept, we've tweaked the entrance to show that it used to allow the end of a train carriage access to the room. Plus a couple more details to show it was a place where waiting happened.

And a gif! Gifs are fun.

ChangedentranceLarge.jpg

Entrancevariantdemogif.gif
  • Dmoz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dmoz polycounter lvl 17
    Started on the architecture. Working out the general look and size.

newlayoutol2.jpg
  • felixthepuerto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    felixthepuerto polycounter lvl 10
    Very cool idea man, cant wait to see how it turns out...
  • BMB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BMB
    Some of the items now:

TablecopyLarge.jpg

ItemsLarge.jpg
  • BMB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BMB
    A few more items:

itemspart2Large.jpg
  • Dmoz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dmoz polycounter lvl 17
  • spetch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spetch polycounter lvl 11
    I really like what you guys have done so far and I love the stylized concepts you have. Maybe the 3d art should reflect that too. I have a few quick suggestions for you guys. These cannibilizing people have been down there for a while. They may have adapted some sort of torching device to inflict pain amongst their victims before they mutilate them and dine. I'm picturing a large metal table device with shackles. I understand that you're trying to make this space comfortable for a mole family but it may be even more effective if it was a smaller and more confined space to live. It may be cool to rip up some of those walls later to show that the area has fallen apart. That may be another way to present the train- though damaged wall and debri. Just my .02. Really lookin forward to see you guys rock this. -S
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You and me both, Spetch.

The torture device is an interesting idea, but it doesn't really fit in with the overall concept. Think of the humans that are being consumed like cattle. Apart from anything else, stressing them out before death would result in tough meat.

We will have the room torn up a bit and full of junk and debris. We could have some collapsed roof/walls in the room to make things feel a bit more enclosed, perhaps.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Y'all thought we'd given up, din't ya?

hangingguywq2.th.jpgthpix.gif
    More to come shortly.