Home General Discussion

Ensemble Studios... defunct ?

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    While its sad to see publishers saw their own legs off trying to stop the bleeding, the more I read it starts to sound more like a studio reboot and a chance to get out of a bad relationship? It's a bad thing sure, but at least they're able to pick up and carry on.

It's awesome that something like this hasn't entirely crushed the studio.

It would be nice if MS was going to let them go, let their name go also so they aren't starting over from scratch. "If you love something let it go" and who doesn't love AoE?
  • doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
    It also sounds like maybe the owners wanted to be independent again but didn't have the cash to pull a Bungie.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    Here's another update email, pretty much same thing that's been said just from Microsoft.

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/54657
  • b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    Shitttt, Sorry to hear that.

Be sure to contact me incase you want to do some freelance until you find a spot. I always need extra hand from time to time.

Goodluck !

ben
  • Jet_Pilot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jet_Pilot polycounter lvl 10
    It seems like TX has been laying people off the most... hopefully the market isn't supersaturated there and everyone can get a job. But i guess its good to know now and not the day after... it gives you guys some time to work on your demo and/or website and start talking to other companies
  • Kevin Albers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Albers polycounter lvl 18
    Things have been pretty bad here in Texas recently...plenty of layoffs. Hopefully a new crop of studios will emerge from the ashes soon!
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Depends if the credit markets start to open up. Not too many start ups make it very far without some venture capitol and a healthy line of credit. Yeah Titans of industry made obscene amounts of cash and as they bathe in it, we are left picking up the pieces!

(I'm not talking about this case, just about the general state of affairs of the US economy)

Given how crappy the markets are right now, its speaks volumes about the studio if they can even begin to scratch out a new existence. It's funny so many publishers beat themselves up gobbling up companies now, they're trying to go back to the way things where. Too bad they have to be so brutal about it...
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    Sucks about Ensemble

Here at Netdevil we are in need of Concept Artists and Animators.. Anybody interested can PM me or email me @ [email]ahunt@netdevil.com [/email] ...good luck to everyone
  • Foehammer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Foehammer polycounter lvl 18
    yeah this really stinks, I've only been at Ensemble for a few months after being laid off in February at THQ/Paradigm, thought this would be different here being backed by MGS, really makes me second guess the industry as a career path, though i know I wouldnt be as happy doing anything else. I'll keep trying though! thanks for all the encouragement, thats what i love about this industry and Polycount, seems we all look out for one another.
  • Bronco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bronco polycounter lvl 18
    wow,this is really sad news, good luck to you guys still there. very sad indeed :(

John