Home Contests & Challenges Archives

Unearthly Challenge | The Pigeon Punchers | Unholy Pit

GuyBrave
polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
GuyBrave polycounter lvl 11
Got a team of 3, (myself (guybrave), aniceto, and skeep)

going to attempt this concept

58_unholy_pit.jpg

nothing to post yet, but stay tuned

and of course, no team is complete without an official team logo...

pope-vs-pigeon2.jpg

Replies

• GuyBrave
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okee dokee, last night I bashed out a bit of a block map in max. The plan is to export this thing into UT3 as a playable DM level when all is said and done, so there are a couple of little areas that probably wont be visible in the beauty shots.... but oh well....

anyway, here's a pic

block-out-001.jpg

there is no surrounding cave yet, but there will be, I just focussed on the gameplay space to start with
  • GuyBrave
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    so, after a bit of discussion, we have decided that the above block map is a bit too similar to the original concept. To avoid running into potentially sticky territory where we get marked down for copying it exactly we have decided to redesign it a bit.

Now, Im no concept artist, but hopefully the following image gets the idea across enough.

we have decided to seperate the man made from the natural, pulling the central column structure out of the lava and suspending it from the five points of the pentagram by massive bundles of chains. This column will be all stone and wood structure, without the natural rocky outcroppings.

The rocky out cropping below will remain, but is not physically connected to the demonic structure.

One other change not visible in this sketch; rather than being housed in a completely enclosed cavern, the scene will be situated in an open topped chasm, with a full moon night sky above.

concept-redesign-002.jpg?t=1221119836
  • Reich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like it. One thing i was concerned with, with your block out was the 3 dead ends on the pentagram. always keep in mind player flow and think in circles. If the player has to stop and turn around to get out of an area then you have done something wrong.

Really liking the new concept, having it suspended like that adds a little more fear to the level.
  • GuyBrave
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah, thanks for the comments man. I get your point about the dead ends. That was something that concerned me too. In the back of my mind I was kind of thinking that after the challenge was over, I would go back and extend the level so that those huge archways were actually entrances to a bit of a tunnel network, but I much prefer where the new concept is headed. With all that crap at the end of each point, it will be easier to avoid the dead end problem.... hopefully