Home Technical Talk

modeling blindness

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
this is a thread dedicated to modeling quality blindness(for lack of a better word), e.g the problem where you spend hours working on a model, and essentially go blind on which changes are good or bad, and the best way of avoiding it.
many of my previous works looks hideous compared to what i'm doing currently,
an example:

newbramsrear.jpg

so my question is basically, how the hell could i think the below model has a perfectly realistic texture? especially when you compare my newer one at the top.
i've even compared this loathful tripe to much better models and thought it looked satisfactory..
i'm ashamed.

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf wrote: »
    how the hell could i think the above model has a perfectly realistic texture? especially when you compare my newer one at the bottom.

I have to say I prefer the top one. Are you saying the bottom one is newer?
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    The top one looks better, imo. The bottom one looks unfinished. Did you accidentally switch them?
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah accidentally switched them, hah. of course meant the top one is better.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Nah I think it's pretty hard to pin down. I recently did a bunch of texturing work and thought it looked pretty good, then came back to it a couple of weeks later and went "damn!" ... did some more work and saw pics of before/after, and it was a pretty drastic change in quality.

I think it's just something you have to give time to.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also helps to have co-workers (or a forum) give tips, help you see outside of the box.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It helps me to have several projects I can bounce between. If after a few hours I come back to the first project and I find myself making more innocuous changes then its time to call it finished. Because the time I'll waste tweaking it to death for that last little bit of detail, is time better spent on something else.
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also helps to have co-workers (or a forum) give tips, help you see outside of the box.

yeah, thats helped me out a lot, and is basically the reason why the upper one looks better than the lower one.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Then again it's kinda cool to keep old versions around, just so you can do comparisons like this ... then you can see, not only how much you have improved your work, but also it should help isolate exactly what it was that made it look better.

And then in future you will know from the outset exactly what you need to do in order to reach that same quality :)
  • Marcan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marcan polycounter lvl 12
    Revisiting old stuff is always funny... Especially when you've worked on the same project for 3 years. Coming back after all this time to polish assets really makes you wonder what was smoked back in the day when came time to make the asset.

On this I can definitely see you've made huge improvements, it's looking good.