Home Technical Talk

ShaderFX issues.

ngon master
Offline / Send Message
almighty_gir ngon master
this is a pretty annoying issue, wondering if anyone has a solution.

i had set ShaderFX to use 3 lights in my scene, and it niftily realised that those 3 lights were the ones i put in the scene myself, and in the right order too, huzzah!

but.

when i deleted one of the lights, it then went super apeshit and everything now glows as if it only has 1 light, and it's a stupid strong light. clicking undo, doesn't help.

Replies

• Rob Galanakis
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    oh the whit... it kills me...

seriously though, THIS is my art community. sending people to other communities is just a stupid idea.
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    Did you try re applying the material to the mesh after you deleted the light? Thats how I fixed a similar problem with lights
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    yeah i just tried that.

i love this plugin, but there seems to be a couple of hickups. like it seems to crash quite often if i try to enable shadows with 3.0 shaders.
  • Rob Galanakis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh the whit... it kills me...

It wasn't meant to be witty. You have a problem with the software, and if you want technical support, you should go to the website.
    seriously though, THIS is my art community. sending people to other communities is just a stupid idea.
    It isn't a community. It is a site to get help with lumonix problems. Or you can continue to post here and get random answers, and hope that Ben Cloward sees the post and gives you a real answer, who as the co-author of SFX is at the Lumonix board much more frequently than he is here.

You can also find some answers about other issues you may have with the software if you'd actually go to the forum.

EDIT: The problem may be that you are set up for 3 lights but only have 1 light, so it is using the same light 3 times (like having 3 lights in the same spot or a light with x3 intensity). If you show a screenshot it'd help.
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Hello, I ran into the same problem and couldn't figure it out.
    My solution was to simply not save it when the lights go crazy and reload previous saved version. Had to go into autoback a few times as well. Not really the solution you are looking for, but a work around I guess.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    quickest workaround i've found is to change your materials lights to however many are in your scene, and then reapply the material to the mesh.

till annoying though...

@professor: does that mean that all these threads for help with 3dsmax should be directed over to the autodesk forums?

get a grip.
  • Rob Galanakis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @professor: does that mean that all these threads for help with 3dsmax should be directed over to the autodesk forums?

get a grip.

If Autodesk were known to respond to bugs within hours or a day, provide a workaround or repro steps, and then provide a fix immediately or in a future release if no workaround can be found temporarily, yes, you should go to Autodesk. However, Autodesk does none of this, so we do what we have to. You have a very specific question and I am pointing you exactly where to go to get the quickest and most concise answer. You can also solve the problem for other users by reporting it so it can be fixed. I have no idea why this concept is so difficult for you to understand or accept. But you are free to pursue whatever fruitless avenues you'd like for help on this very simple problem, and I hope you won't stay away from Lumonix out of spite that you appear quite foolish with your hostility to the idea.

You're welcome, and good luck.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I second that. Searching/posting in the source forum is often the best way to go, and nothing wrong with also asking in your other fav forum if you like. But Kees and Ben are totally on top of it over there.
  • Ben Cloward
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ben Cloward polycounter lvl 18
    Hi Gir!

You can come over to the Lumonix forum and ask us stuff. We won't bite. I promise. :) I can't make the same promises for the crowd here at polycount though. ;)

-Ben
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    lol, it's not that i didn't want to ask over there... it's just that this is my little arty haven. and i knew a few users here either use the software, or worked on it like yourself.

awesome stuff btw :P

as such it's like... i felt a little affronted by someone just popping up and saying "go somewhere else with your questions plox".
  • Ben Cloward
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah, Rob didn't mean it that way. I think he was just trying to be helpful and you took it wrong.

Anyway - to address your issue - in the case where you make a shader that calls for 3 lights, but there are only 2 lights in the scene, what do you think the system should do? Right now ShaderFX will automatically assign lights to your shader in the order that they were created in the scene - so the first light you created goes in slot 1, second one in slot 2, etc. If you delete one that's being used, what shoud happen?

As a work around to the issue, you can manage what lights go into which slots. Select the model that you applied the shader to. Then bring up the material editor. Choose an available render ball and hit the "Get Material" button. It's the blue ball icon with the arrow pointing to it. That will pull your shader material into the material editor. Now you can adjust your shader's material parameters from here - including which lights to use in which slots.

Funny you should bring up the topic of lights. Kees and I are hard at work on the new version of ShaderFX and better light support is one of our major new features. I think you'll be pretty happy with what we've got coming.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Ben you have no idea how happy i am with the current edition!

i've found a few work arounds for the current situation. though they all call for re-applying the material in some form or other.

maybe the simplest way of doing it would have shaderFX recognise when a light is deleted, and adjust the number of lights it uses accordingly? i'm no programmer though. so i doubt it's as easy as that, or it would be done already!!!

i'll go sign up to your forum =]
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    Thought for Ben:
    Could it be adjusted so that on some form of scene update, like adding or deleting things, if a previously assigned light is no longer found, or if there are fewer lights in the scene than the shader is expecting, that the now orphaned light could be set to some dummy values for rendering purposes? like set its color intensity and position to zero, so as far as the shader is concerned the light is still "there" it just has no effect on the scene.
  • Ben Cloward
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for a suggestion! Our new version that we're currently working on handles these cases better. It allows you to explicitly select which lights in the scene you want to use in the shader - and if one that you've already chosen is missing, it remakes the shader with one less light - so kinda like what you were saying.
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Wow, that sounds great! And Thanks for the info, the way the lighting was affecting the shader with shaderfx was always a mystery to me until now. Now I have two software apps I'm dying for, mudbox2009 and the new shaderfx. heh.