Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Futuristic Soldier

Hey guys, ive been working on a model and texture but i've got to the stage where im struggling with what I could do next (regarding texture detail).

On the first image is two models, one with just the smoothing group applied and the second with the normal map applied.

On the left of the second image is the self illuminated diffuse model and on the right is the same model but with the normal map from the sculpt (at the moment I havnt run any of the diffuse map through nv filter yet for extra normal detail and the specular map is just the normal map so its not a representation of the final product).

normalmapoe5.jpg

render1qs8.jpg

render2ud8.jpg

Replies

• NiGHTS2o06
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Right, I think ive got to the point where im finished so any opinions would be great. Thanks guys and for me, its been a good learning process.

Final tri count - 5450.

Programs used: 3D Max 9, Photoshop CS3, Mudbox, NVfilter.

finalwk6.jpg

final2wf5.jpg
  • NiGHTS2o06
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    K guys, ive finished with this project for now. Its been a rough 2 months but a great learning process and im happy its now complete biggrin.gif.

finalbeautyaq3.jpg

finalsmall2zv4.jpg

texturesheetcharacterwn3.jpg

texturesheetweaponey1.jpg
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    Hey man, not much of a character artist, but I'll try to give you some constructive crits.

first off, the texturing is very good, but I think the spec may be a bit high in places, ie- the highlights seem strong on the shoulders, could be the lighting. the spec for the red and black parts are different colors, but the grayscale values are too close, I think you should make one darker, so they pop a bit more, and seem like different materials. The uv layout of the character seems a bit loose, but it looks good, so just try to tighten it up more next time, and i think the eyes have WAY too much texture space.

what i really think needs improvement is the head. i think the proportions are off, and the texture could use a lot if work. you should look around at other's work and try to learn from them. some links for head proportions-
    http://underdog.dreamcomics.com/images/faces.jpg
    http://www.learning-to-see.co.uk/images/head-proportions-half.jpg
    character ref-
    http://www.t3h-v.com/folio/corum.html

the body is grade A awesome, fit for any game IMO, and if you can get the head to that level you are in business. hope i helped, keep at it!
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    Now that I look again the arms seem a bit short...not sure though could be the angle. Hopefully some bonified character artists can chime in.
  • Aldo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think the arms are indeed too short. I also think that the detail you have on the shoulders and feet are really good, but when you compare the other parts to those, the other parts seem bare and unfinished. Basically from his ribcage to his knees, there's very little detail or anything of interest.

I think his cheekbones might be a bit low and his head my be a bit too round. This is totally a personal preference, but heroic people tend to have chiseled features, not round ones.

I don't think the gloves match the rest of the character very well. His wrists also seem a bit on the thin side.

I like from the knees down and his shoulders/chest area a lot. Good Job
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey man the texture painting looks quite good and you managed execute the build well, id love to see some concept. Some minor nitpicking your proportions are i bit off, the arms are a tad short, and his legs are extremely bulky concidering the scale of the arms. this might be what you were going for, but the musculature on the legs could be worked on as well. also the characters forehead is a bit too rounded i think. males typically have a bit of a shelf where the eyebrows are that juts out a bit. also since the character is a bit bulky( at least in the core and legs, it would be fitting if his neck was a bit thicker, again, all of this can be resolved with some style sketches or concept. overall tho nice build, and i like the detalil work especially in the boots!

-Woog
  • dbreak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dbreak polycounter lvl 10
  • pangarang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pangarang polycounter lvl 11
    Textures are great! but as mentioned before I think some anatomy practice is in order. Meshflow doesn't compliment the bone structure resulting in a bubbly baby-face as opposed to the battle-hardened face of a soldier.

The hands look kinda tacked on because the forearm muscles end abruptly. they should flow into the hand. the shape of the arm in the regular T pose is quite off - they look unnaturally bent backwards. I'm thinking this is because of the reference you used, the model might not have been in an ideal pose - just a guess of course.

the ass is looking quite bulbous at this point - again I think it's because of the meshflow. to better capture the form, as with any protrusion on the body, the loops should flow around to capture the shape with polys efficiently.

Overall, very nicely done. There's no question you have the technical skills to pull off a rad looking character. Just need to practice anatomy abit more. Great stuff! Thanks for sharing!
  • NiGHTS2o06
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is the original concept image that my model is based on. I have made several changes due to personal preference however I have decided to leave this model alone and have been advised at work that I should sit down with an anatomy book and create a nude model from scratch (with the sole focus on anatomy and proportions). Hopefully this will be the best way to dig down and retain some information for further use.

The book that im after currently is:

Anatomy for the Artist by Sarah Simblat.

If anyone has any other recommendations, im all ears.

Thanks again for all your feedback.

severityconcept.jpg
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey man dunno if your a max or maya user, but there is a great rescource book called Character modeling in maya and Zbrush that has a terriffic anatomy section, and also some realy interesting tips on techniques that make building a human character much easeir. hope you get it down i think the comment about you technically being there is 100% right, just need better panels imo.

cool concept too

-Woog