Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

wip steve correl

hey, comin close to finishing up my picture of steve correl
un-finishedstevecorrel.jpg

this is waht i worked from, imbd seems to haev it locked so i cant copy and paste it sorry
http://www.imdb.com/media/rm1166971392/nm0136797

Replies

• Deathead
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think you mean Steve Carrell not Correl.;)
  • cycrasx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol ty for ur critque, not exactly.... what i was hoping for.. but.... k
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] polycounter lvl 18
    The eyes are looking pretty huge. Check out their relative size to his other features in the ref.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    it has this stencil effect, like it was painted with a mouse besides that eye's are to big
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Nice painting so far, but if you really want it to look like the picture you need to get some of the porportions more correct.

As you can see, very few of the lines from your painting actually meet up with the photo.

SteveCPainting.jpg

keep at it!
  • cycrasx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thnx yeah i noticed that the eyes are freakin huge, and yeah i did use a mouse i dun got no fancy drawin pad :/ (wish i did though), and especialy thnx for that liny thing : ) when i get photoshop wokin ill fix em up, cos gimp dun got liquify for moving thigns around with ease
  • ChrisG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ChrisG polycounter lvl 14
    ok I maybe new but please please please try and use proper grammer and spelling in your posts, everyone will just take you that bit more seriously.

My advice would be to go and buy a cheap tablet (if you have the money a small wacom one, these are the best make) it will make the world of difference, good luck!:)

chris
  • root
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    root polycounter lvl 18
    it's spelled 'grammar,' duder.
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
  • ChrisG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    *FACEPALM* arghhh irony at its best.
  • cycrasx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rofl!, omg that was 1 of the most ironic things ive ever seen, (ps i dont think ill ever spell corectly sry:poly136:... unless its for a job or sumfin) ne hoo... jsut wondering how much would 1 of thoes things cost, for a cheapy, arround aboots?
    also today i did another (well actualy 2 pics but other 1 need alot fo work) this 1 was just me practicing a style i saw but i didnt have no refrencace when i did it sorry but ill c if i can rememebr were i saw the style, also for some reason to me it jsut doesnt seem like a real face, or a drawing of a real face, tips? also opinions plz, i dunno, jsut to me somthing seems off
    non-genderspecificface.jpg
  • ChrisG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I got mine for about £36 (a small bamboo fun) at a student discount so about $80-90?

also have you tried using a pencil and paper instead of a mouse? it might help.
    It seems you started with the eyes and worked your way down and got less interested in the peice. Try just adding more detail and spend more time on it.
    It is also quite important to use a reference to get the scale correct.

just my two pennies

chris
  • Quokimbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cycrasx wrote: »
    especialy thnx for that liny thing : ) when i get photoshop wokin ill fix em up, cos gimp dun got liquify for moving thigns around with ease

it could be made in paint also...
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrizz does have a good point though, would be nice if you could at least spell "one" in stead of 1 and use some normal words :P. QUIT YOUR JIBBER JABBER! FOOL! :P.

i wouldn't go into that much detail without first laying down the entire sketch, i like to
    work in layers of detail. if you draw one piece; detail it, then draw another piece it's quite hard to fit it all together nicely with good proportions and all. (some artists like Rens know how to do it though).
    oh, and in both sketches the nose is very long and thin.
    keep it up!
  • cycrasx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    k i tryed to take every 1s advice on board (besides spellin) and i personaly feel its alot better, espealy after i shortend the nose and cheak bones, because in the middle section looks like he was made out of taffy and was drooping, tryed to add as much detail as posible (pobably needs a bit more but i dont no wat) and finaly, i tryed to make it less fuzzy
    non-genderspecificface-1.jpg
  • Mezz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    Ok, so I normally try not to be a grammar nazi, but I'm hurt. Not just by cycrasx's butchering of the language, but by chrizz1's comments to him. Thanks for defending the language, but please try to do it correctly next time. :)

"ok I maybe new but please please please try and use proper grammer and spelling in your posts, everyone will just take you that bit more seriously."

So to help you for the future, here's what you need to remember when telling people to fix their grammar and spelling:
    -As mentioned, grammar has got that second 'a', not 'e'.

-Sentences start with capital letters

-'May' and 'be' should be two seperate words.

-The comma after 'posts' is ill used; there should either be the word 'and' after the comment (though then it would be a run-on sentence) or make it a new sentence.

Thank you for suggesting this to him, though.

Now cycrasx, the fact that you think spelling with these things called 'words' rather than letters is useless is not the best way to think. Yes, something of your ideas still gets across, but not nearly as sufficiently and accurately. (Stop me if the words are getting too big.)

"(ps i dont think ill ever spell corectly sry:poly136:... unless its for a job or sumfin)"
    Ok you don't seem to understand the problem here. While yes, if you are indeed trying for a job, writing properly is IMPERATIVE, but it is still very important regardless. Writing the way that I am writing versus wrtng knda lke ths so ppl huv to try hard to get at wut lnagugae this is, isn't the best way to be taken seriously, or as previously mentioned, even understood.

Furthermore, you say 'unless its for a job or sumfin'. Well, if you're serious about getting in this industry or something close, you're posting to a loooot of potential employers/co-workers. If you apply for a job, especially through Polycount, somehow managing to scrape together passable English, they will remember your posts. And unprofessionalism is NEVER a quality to help you get hired.

So please, please try to give English a chance. It may take you a whole extra minute to write out what you want to say, but I think the benefits are worth it. I understand you may not be able to spell all words properly, and I won't criticize you on that, but every single word? And '1'? 'One' takes me less time to write anyway since my fingers don't have to move as far.

I apologize greatly for monopolizing this thread to turn it into a grammar rant. This was not my intentions when clicking on this thread, but I'm in too much of a ranting mood to let it go. Please, let's move on now.

/end rant
  • cycrasx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    k, every 1 who is a grama nazi, get the hell out right now, this is a place to critique art/drawings, not spellin, ur lak of maturity has not turned this into a thread about english skills, please all come back when ur gunna talk about what needs to be improved, not have 4 coments on the way he spelt the word grama, its starting to anoy me now,

ps. im lazy, get over it
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    please all come back when ur gunna talk about what needs to be improved

no, i can't be bothered
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] polycounter lvl 18
    Dude, seriously. The grammar stuff isn't being brought up just to bust on you. People are genuinely trying to help you. I know it's not what you asked for help on, and that's probably frustrating, but the advice they've given you about spelling and grammar is important stuff.

It's obvious to me that English is your first language (or at least that you know it well enough to use the same kinds of shortcuts and/or make the same mistakes that a native English-speaker would), and you're not an idiot who's completely oblivious to how words are supposed to work. I don't think you're having any trouble understanding what anyone else is posting. That's why I'm taking the time to tell you this, and I want to get it in before the bullshit flamewar that's likely to ensue if things keep up the way they are.

Generally speaking, no one's going to give you a hard time about hardcore grammar rules or spelling errors here. Personally, I write run-on sentences and use commas and semicolons improperly left and right. Beyond the basics, I sometimes don't even pay that much extra attention to verb-noun agreement. And I've got sentence fragments and things like that all over the place. Don't even get me started on my perpetual overuse of parenthesis. And it's not a big deal. Like you, I'd worry about it if it was for a job or something (like back in school-- I used to whip out the MLA handbook all the time on research papers to correct all kinds of little things- even stuff I didn't expect anyone to really notice), but otherwise, I don't bother. And no one here has given me flak about it.

But what's happening here is that you're intentionally writing in a certain way, then taking someone's criticism of your casual writing style personally, and rather than making the very slight effort required to clean it up just a little bit, you're going out of your way to make it even worse. Like saying, "Yeah? Who are YOU to tell ME how to write? I do what I want. You don't know me. Here's what I think of your grammar crits! How do you like that?". (Whether that's how you meant it or not, that's how it comes off.) That's not cool.

And at this point, you've actually gone so far as to lose your composure about the whole deal by telling people to get the hell out. Remember grade-school? I remember grade-school. And whenever stuff like this went down back then, as soon as someone lost his composure when he felt like people were ganging up on him about something he thought was trivial and he just wanted it to stop but it was clear he was getting angry... That's when the shitstorms started. Instantly it all went to name-calling and people making fun, just for the sake of doing so. Then it wasn't about whatever the initial issue was (english skills in this case), much less whatever was going on before that was even brought up (critiques of your work in this case). Then it's all about cracking jokes and getting a laugh out of the angry kid and seeing if he starts hilariously freaking out or how funny and for how long the whole thing will go on before a teacher comes by and stops it, or until everyone gets bored. The unfortunate truth is that human nature doesn't change between grade school and adulthood, especially on the inturnets.

And that's what will happen here. Whether you like it or not, the only way to really get back on track is for you to take the criticism of your writing and at least make a slight effort to make it readable for the rest of us. Even if we can work out what you're meaning to say, typing out mispronunciations phonetically and deliberately mispelling words or abbreviating them too much is distracting if nothing else. Espealy? Spelt? Sumfin? Pobably? You know what you're doing. You're not being lazy, you're being stubborn. And it's not going to benefit you in any way. You're selling yourself short and making yourself look immature.

You're serious about improving your art skills, or you wouldn't be here asking for help and incorporating people's advice. But if you really want people to help you improve, and if you really want to be taken seriously so that people feel it's worth their time to help you, then you need to accept that part of what goes into that effort is how you present yourself and how you communicate. One of my favorite art teachers told me once, "You've got a solid work ethic and your skills show promise. But no matter how good you get to be, you can't succeed from inside a box. You can't work from your closet. You need to mix it up with other people". I'm saying the same thing to you. Take your communcation skills as seriously as your artwork and you'll find you get a lot less resistance. Things will go easier for you.

That's all I have to say about that.

--

The second iteration on the black and white drawing is looking better. For using a mouse, you're doing great with keeping the fuzziness down while using the smudge tool. However, I'd also suggest not using the smudge tool as much (not in this piece, since it's already done that way, but you know, for later). With a mouse, this may be more difficult, since you're probably sticking more to short lines or small shapes and then blending them; but if you can lay in the values flat without blending and still convey the same volume, you'll be able to spend less time worrying about refining the surface because all the major forms will already be in place and read the way they should. (If that's already what you're doing before blending, then nevermind. Neat.) That's the process I find helpful anyway. I guess it's all personal preference really. Anyway, looking pretty good, keep it up.

Also check out the conceptart.org forums if you haven't already. 2d is like their life over there.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    fuck i wish i had the free time some people on this thread have.
  • Kawe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kawe polycounter lvl 8
    Johny wrote: »
    fuck i wish i had the free time some people on this thread have.

my free time suddenly feels well-spen :)
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
  • ChrisG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ARGH WHAT HAVE I CREATED!

Mezz,
    I was just pointing out a problem because I felt it could hinder his progress, it wasnt a major attack on him.
    I made a simple spelling mistake its not like I spelt it terribly (and was already noted) and the rest you pointed out were really tiny mistakes. So Im not sure why you bothered to post it.

Cycrasx,
    I hope you take the crits and move on from this, because its clear you are progressing

chris
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Next up: cycrasy and cycrasz.
  • Mezz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    chrizz1 wrote: »
    Mezz,
    I was just pointing out a problem because I felt it could hinder his progress, it wasnt a major attack on him.
    I made a simple spelling mistake its not like I spelt it terribly (and was already noted) and the rest you pointed out were really tiny mistakes. So Im not sure why you bothered to post it.

Sorry, I do apologize for doing that, I was in a weird mood last night... Not that that's really an excuse, but I am sorry that I let my exhasperation get the better of me. I've made the mistake of writing 'grammer' in a similar situation in the past, so I really should have just kept my mouth shut :p
  • ChrisG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz wrote: »
    Sorry, I do apologize for doing that, I was in a weird mood last night... Not that that's really an excuse, but I am sorry that I let my exhasperation get the better of me. I've made the mistake of writing 'grammer' in a similar situation in the past, so I really should have just kept my mouth shut :p

Ahh no problem man, bestest friends:)
  • cycrasx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    it ok, well lets jsut forget about all that and move on, and for the sake of keepin it on track ill try my best to not use shortened internet english (but i never was any good at english), well i went on concept art, and ive done a fair bit soo far ive moved it on to this stage, still have no idea how to draw ears so any posible tutorials or any thing would be greatly apreaciated, but the neck and the head still need some more touching up
    face2-1.jpg
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    good to see that's all cleared up ;). oh and mezz: you where being so nitpicky: check out: "This was not my intentions" in your own post ;). but whatever, let's just stop the nitpickery :P. (i don't use capitals 'n stuff myself ^^)

good and short eartutorial by poopinmymouth:
    http://www.poopinmymouth.com/process/tips/ears.jpg

for ears it's important that you just look at the real deal all the time, and you can feel your own ears as well to get a sense of depth. (i suck at that, all of my ears turn out really flat).
    keep it up! can't believe you did this with a mouse! buy a tablet NOW!
  • cycrasx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir wrote: »
    keep it up! can't believe you did this with a mouse!
    *crys* that is the nicest thing any one has ever said, lol, still, got a long ways to go to be as good as all of you (being pro's alot of you, and actualy make money as consept artist and 3d modelers), well best way to improve is to get advice from the top; well that and actual practice
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't know if it's 'nice' as much as him likely just never having done anything with a mouse himself. Some nice artwork has been done with a mouse, and I know a lot of guys on here started out using only a mouse (back then even entry-level wacoms were a lot more expensive) --including me--, and I'm not lying if I say that getting a tablet is absolutely necessary, unless you want to develop a style that takes advantage of selections a lot. And even then I'd suggest getting a tablet. Look into the Wacom bamboo fun, which is (I think) their cheapest model, and really magnificent value for the money.

It'll take a while before you've gotten used to working with a tablet, but then you'll improve tenfold in one go. It won't magically improve your understanding of lighting and colour theory, but at least you're no longer handicapped.
  • skidu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    still have no idea how to draw ears so any posible tutorials or any thing would be greatly apreaciated

Go grab a pencil, sheet of paper and a mirror :thumbup:

Seriously, learning the traditional way would be far more beneficial then fiddling around with a mouse all day.