Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Guitar

hey folks, im working on my portfolio piece and thought i'd post some WIP

it's a guitar modeled in max, im taking the sort of "world of warcraft" + photo source approach, majority of the decos are painted in photoshop and im prolly gonna crazy bump it later, the model's 967tris (my limit was 1k)

and here's the WIP:)
guitarwip.jpg
(i havent fixed the normal map from the highpoly to reflect the painting so there might be some weird things showing up)
guitarwip2.jpg
the closeup of the front

Replies

• Crumplecakes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    texture looks ace so far, the head at the base of the guitar looks like it would make palm muting less than appealing though :)

I really like the color scheme, I don't see the WoW reference though.
    the base coat of RED in the guitar looks cool, but I wonder how much more the other red and gold pieces would pop if it was black :D

now all you need is a guitar strap made out of human skulls... shrunken of course :D

anywhoo keep at it, it's looking beautiful so far. (although I think it would smoke in black red and gold)

also do you intend on adding strings?
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    i dunno. I'd like it more if you stuck closely to a source. some of the shapes don't look accurate for any guitar I've seen. the paint looks slapped on. the UV map looks to be a huge mess. I can't tell what goes to what, aside from the body paint. and those spikes will stab a guitarist's arm.
  • mikezoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mikezoo polycounter lvl 14
    I agree with the spikes. Very staby. But so darn cool. Sometimes I think functionality over design is a hard thing to balance. I wanna see the update!!
  • itsover3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks sweet but I think Tuning it would suck and the headstock looks a bit funny to me also It wouldnt really work if you wanted to put a strap on it the way a regular guitar does and I agree with the design which would make it hard to play but other than that it looks BA cant wait to see more!