Home Contests & Challenges Archives

Unearthly Challenge | Team Awesomepants | Cathedral of the Damned

polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
I've never really done any environment art before, so I figured I'm going to jump in with both feet and see where this takes me. I have my doubts that I'll actually be able to finish since I'm going to France in early October, but even if I don't get everything done I'm sure this'll be a lot of fun and a huge learning experience.

Anyway. Here's the original concept:

20_broken_church.jpg

And here's where I'm planning to take it:

cathedral001.jpg

I want to make something that looks like it would fit into Diablo 3 because I simply love the art style. I have have no idea if I'll be able to do it very well, but I don't care. I haven't yet decided if I'm going to do the inside and outside of the cathedral, but I'll probably do both since I have the polygon and texture budget to throw around.

I've started working on a few different props already, but I don't know if I'll actually keep any of them. I'd like to keep to the fairly low-poly nature of Diablo 3 as well as the art style, but I may make things more detailed. One thing's for sure: If I do go fairly low-poly with everything, I'll be able to cram all kinds of crap into the scene while staying under budget.

cathedral002.jpg

Replies

• TheSplash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's a cool style to go for, are you going to do high poly versions of your props and bake them down? I strongly advise it.

Good luck!
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    TheSplash wrote: »
    That's a cool style to go for, are you going to do high poly versions of your props and bake them down? I strongly advise it.

Good luck!

I haven't decided whether or not I'm going to use normal maps. If I actually them, I want them to be fairly subtle and only give a little more detail than I'd get were I to simply paint on some diffuse.

I realize that this isn't exactly the best way to win prizes and whatnot, but I'm not concerned with that. I'm more interested in just learning how environment creation works right now and participating in contests is a good way to learn.
  • Serith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Serith polycounter lvl 9
    Our team is looking at doing this concept as well, and no joke, one of our team members voted for the team name to be Team Awesome.