Home Technical Talk

More photoshop woes...

Some of these may just be bugs I'll have to live with but I figured I'd post up and see if anyone has any solutions:

1- Photoshop CS3 And 3ds Max 9 Selection Tool Lag,

Alright basically whenever I use the selection marquee tool, I have a 50/50 chance of experiencing what i can only call lag. The edge I'm dragging from will twitch, like the computer can't process the request fast enough.

The same thing occationally happens in 3ds Max9, with again the selection tool.

Heres my specs, and why i find it unlikely its computer related, possibly vista related though.

2.4Ghz Intel Dual Core OC'ed to 3.14Ghz

Zalman 115mm CPU cooling block w/ fan

2x 320gb Seagate Barricuda HD's using 3gb/s sata
4Gbs Patriot 800Mhz Ram (2.8Gbs effective using 32bt vista home premium)

8800GTX -Evga

680i Sli Mobo -Evga

Now I've tried all the fixes I could find, Upping the memory cache in photoshop, disabling norton, excerta, and that helped, but its still not gone completely which irks me.

Any ideas?

My second problem is related to the Nvidia .DDS filter.
I'm curious If any you have this problem

When ever I save normal map through it, My entire Photoshop GUI disappears? lol.

I have to min/maximize it to get it back....

Thanks so much for reading this long post! :)

Replies

• Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    When using the selection tool, are you doing it with a tablet?
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update your graphics driver lately? If so, revert. If not, then do.

About the DDS filter, that's really weird, though I know they updated the code base to work with Vista in the last year or so. I'd log that one with Nvidia, here...
    http://code.google.com/p/nvidia-texture-tools/issues/detail?id=33
    I think you need a Google account to post.
  • Stronin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not using a tablet, however i am using a somewhat unusual mouse.

I don't know if any of you use the Razor Copperhead gaming mouse, but it comes with its own control drivers/software. I might try using a normal mouse thats just usb plug and play to test...

I'm also going to check out new nvidia drivers, as well as seeing if they put out a newer version of the .dds filter. I will admit its an older version, so maybe it might be a pre vista version.

Thanks for the assists :)
  • BoilingOil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BoilingOil polycounter lvl 16
    I have a Razer DeathAdder, which is similar to the Copperhead. I used to have the Habu which uses the same drivers, but different firmware. I think they all use the same software (although I don't use the software). I haven't noticed this lag with either one, or my tablet, in PSCS3 or 3DSM9, on Vista32 or XP32.

What size files are you working with in Photoshop?
  • Stronin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The file size typically makes no diffference. The lag occurs at random.

Be it a 512x512 with one layer or a 4096x4096 with 20 layers. It just intermittently decides when it wants to have a fit.

I'm planning on doing a reformatt soon anyway becuase my rig has started hanging on shutdown a lot and I can't find the program causing it. *sighs and shakes his head*

Sometimes I wish i had the money for a dedicated game system and a dedicated design system. I have too much stuff on this thing.
  • Ott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ott polycounter lvl 13
    The exact same issue happens with me. Im using Vista64, and I've surmised it's a Vista issue. I get the same lag sputtering with brushes, moving layers, drag selection...you name it. If I have Max open, it simply cannot allow me to have PS open and function 100% of the time accurately.

http://www.evrim-sen.com/html/photoshop-lag-vista.htm

Either of these fixes seem to work if you are having the issues JUST in PS, (The ruler or the Aero fix) but I still can't get Max to not default to Windows Basic, rendering both of these programs open at the same time to have issues.