Home Contests & Challenges Archives

Unearthly challenge : Question and Answer

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
UC_logo.png

[img2=left]http://boards.polycount.net/images/features/uc_announcement.jpg[/img2]
-September 4th 2008 to October 27 2008-
Anything and everything you'll need to begin your entry can be read here.

Some highlights of the specs & rules include:

:icon_arrow: Each entry will begin from a choice out of 89 concepts provided by some of this industries top studios & artists

:icon_arrow: Broad technical restrictions

:icon_arrow: Post a link to your intended concept or embed it into your posts so we know which one you are basing this off.

:icon_arrow: Render in any 3D application or video game engine of your choice

:icon_arrow: Teams of up to 3 people maximum! Name your team and make a logo if you wish

:icon_arrow: Priceless exposure: Have your entry seen by all of our sponsors & judges

:icon_arrow: Please create your wip threads with the following format.

Unearthly Challenge | Team Name | Name of Environment

More info to come....

Replies

• Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Copying over from adams earlier post.

:icon_arrow:Lightmap resolution doesn't count towards your final texture resolution and should likely be half of your texture resolution, 2048x2048, for this competition. Fred will update the rules with actual specifics.

:icon_arrow:Standard texture passes apply: diffuse, spec, normal, bump, height, detail, emissive, parallax, opacity and so on. Fred will update the rules with actual specifics.

:icon_arrow:You're encouraged to alter and break from the concept as much as you can while still maintaining some of its elements. The judges should be able to look at the concept, then look at your beauty renders, and see the connection. There's some hellacious* looking environments in there... imagine what the GA guys will have to do to make it look 'Good'. They're require a HUGE overhaul in lighting, props, look, wear, all of that.

:icon_arrow:You can draw over concepts if it makes planning your work that much better, no ones feelings will get hurt

:icon_arrow:If you have a concept artist on your team thats awesome, part of me wishes I did for my team. You're encouraged to add, remove, edit, or update your concepts environment. Don't forget you need a center of focus, it has to look evil, and it shouldn't be a direct copy of your concept. Lots of stuff to get creative with!

:icon_arrow:1x4096x4096 texture space is huge. To put it in perspective, here's an image showing a 4096x4096 @ half-resolution. The smallest squares are 512x512 textures. TONS OF SPACE!

:icon_arrow:It's only up to 250,000. If you can make an amazing scene for this competition in, say, 60,000 triangles then by all means. We just wanted the free to be there for people who wanted to do sprawling environments like a forest, lava worlds, huge landscapes, etc.

:icon_arrow:As for mixing 2 environments together, you cannot do that. However, because you can update a concept as you need it to be for your idea you're welcome to bring over elements from another in to your chosen concept. So long as 'the concept can be seen in your environment' I would think you are fine to do with it what you will.

:icon_arrow:Threads @ Polycount for this should be titled as such: UNEARTHLY CHALLENGE | Team Name | Name of your environment*
    *If you don't have a name for your environment yet you can always edit your title later to update it.

I just updated the original post with this information, but I thought I'd do it again in a reply so its get the proper attention.

Additional rules / answers to some questions about what is or is not allowed:

:icon_arrow:Simple skyboxes are acceptable. The texture resolution for your skybox must not exceed a resolution of 1024x1024 per side, so 1024x1024x6. The resolution of your skybox will not count towards the allocated 4096x4096 of texture space for this contest. Additionally, the triangle count of your skybox, if it should have a need for such a thing, will not count towards your final triangle count.

:icon_arrow:Skyportals / 'advanced skyboxes' are not acceptable. Any additional geometry/textures you'd like to be used for your scenes background or sky should be considered a part of your allocated texture resolution or triangle count and will be developed as such.
    E.g. If you decide to have floating clouds in your scene as separate geometry and not apart of your 'simple skybox' (see above) they will be counted towards both your texture resolution(s) and final triangle count and will NOT be considered to be a part of your 'simple skybox'.

:icon_arrow:Water/liquid is acceptable. The texture resolution for your water/liquid will be counted towards the allocated 4096x4096 texture space for this competition. Additionally, the triangles for the mesh used for your water will count towards your final triangle count.

NOTE: Using the existing water texture/shaders from an engine is fine, but you must count its resolution towards your 4096x4096 texture budget. It is up to you to find these resolutions out and show them being used in your final entry submission.

NOTE: If you use BSP for your environment, you must factor those triangles into your final triangle count.

:icon_arrow:FX / Particle emitters are acceptable.The texture resolution for the effects you use will count towards your allocated 4096x4096 texture space for this contest. Additionally, the triangle count used for your FX will count towards your final triangle count.

:icon_arrow:Environment/cube maps & masks are acceptable.The combined resolution of your environment maps will not count towards your allocated 4096x4096 texture resolution for this contest. However, the combined texture resolution of your environment/cube masks will count towards your allocated 4096x4096 texture space for this contest.
    NOTE: Environment/cube masks are considered an acceptable material layer along side diffuse, normal, spec, gloss, glow, opacity, and height maps.

:icon_arrow:The use of constant RGB material nodes to alter your texture is acceptable. We're not going to force you to use a new texture just to get a new texture with its colour tinted.

NOTE: While it is encouraged that you use up as much of your allocated 4096x4096 for some texture passes like diffuse, spec and normal maps it isn't an issue if other 'secondary' texture passes are not completely utilize the 4096x4096 texture

:icon_arrow:Texturing blending & multiple UV's are acceptable. Just be sure to show the textures/masks you use being counted for in your allocated 4096x4096 texture for each pass.
  • felixthepuerto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    felixthepuerto polycounter lvl 10
    Cool just registered to Polycount, its going to be my first competition and Im stoked!!!!!
  • Kawe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kawe polycounter lvl 8
    Man, this makes me wish I had tried to put together a team just for the experience :) Whew, looks fun. Good luck to anyone participating :)
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    So no rules about putting greentooth in there somewhere? I'm mean, I'm going to do it anyway, but....
  • Pat Jones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello all. I think I am going to give this a shot. I know many of you guys but I just now registered and no longer am a lurker.

Can you still pick a concept that someone else has already said they are using?

Looking forward to the challenge.

Pat
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    You are allowed to pick a concept that someone else is using. Something tells me there will be more than 89 total entrants for this comp ;)
    And welcome to the boards.

-caseyjones
  • Microneezia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Microneezia polycounter lvl 10
    if no creature or robots are aloud, concept 31 looks like a lot of trouble for whomever chooses that one... ?
  • Serith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Serith polycounter lvl 9
    if no creature or robots are aloud, concept 31 looks like a lot of trouble for whomever chooses that one... ?

I believe the big chickens are more vehicle/structure like than characters. But at the same time, if someone does choose it, they can alter it quite a bit to create their environment
  • EVIL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    What are the rules for the 2D Conceptart guys?
    Do I need to add a "2d" in my title or what.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL wrote: »
    What are the rules for the 2D Conceptart guys?
    Do I need to add a "2d" in my title or what.

Nah... no worries for that. Just put it in your first post some where or something.
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    Can we use water in the UT3 engine for our entry?
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    I'll look in to using water & skyboxes, I'd like to know as well.
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    "Lighting and rendering can be created within any 3D software application or Game Engine."
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    Ya, but that doesn't necessarily mean sky boxes and engine created water is free game.
  • xensun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    what are the rules on particle effects didn't see anything on that? Also what about using unreals material editor to alter a texture in some way to give more variations like a color change ect, is that allowed or would that count as a new texture?
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    I'm not quite clear on the rules for the 2d entrys... are we too supposed to base our ideas from an existing concept or are we given free roaming over it.

Also, are we aiming to essentially have a "beauty" shot and then a completely seperate sheet for the modeling sheet? - Im a bit new to environment modeling sheets so I was wondering if any references/resources as to how we should approach these could be put up.

Would a model sheet be something more akin to; http://www.gameartisans.org/contests/events/4/concepts/images/concept_23.html - with a breakdown on the seperate components?

- Im so fucking stoked for this, its gunna rock. \o/
  • Mangled Poly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mangled Poly polycounter lvl 18
    xensun wrote: »
    what are the rules on particle effects didn't see anything on that? Also what about using unreals material editor to alter a texture in some way to give more variations like a color change ect, is that allowed or would that count as a new texture?

I assume it would be fine long as you do not use any constant rgb colors. Instead you would use small color swatches that pull from your total texture resolution. Or if you decide to use cubic reflection maps they are part of your total 4096 resolution.

Any other operations are can be replicated in max or any 3d software that supports directx.
  • g0th
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    g0th triangle
    Probably a stupid question but I'm a bit uncertain how I can use the texture space.

Can I use a tiling 1024 texture just for my rocks as a standalone texture, or do I need to put the 1024 texture inside the big 4096 texture (making it harder to tile it)?

Thanks in advance
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    i believe you can break it up into various textures.
  • Mangled Poly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    g0th wrote: »
    Probably a stupid question but I'm a bit uncertain how I can use the texture space.

Can I use a tiling 1024 texture just for my rocks as a standalone texture, or do I need to put the 1024 texture inside the big 4096 texture (making it harder to tile it)?

Thanks in advance

You can break it up anyway you need to but all the combined foot print for one pass can not be over 4096.... or so I was told
  • g0th
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    g0th triangle
    ahh cool. Thanks Tinman and Mangled Poly
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Break it up however you'd like so long as 4096x4096 worth of texture space isn't exceeded.

Here's a break down of what that resolution gets you, if you consider the smallest square to be 512x512 pixels:

4096x4096

EDIT: Sidenote, Fred and I are going over skybox, water, and FX details to iron out what we'll go with for the final rules, but my above statements still stand at this point. Whatever we come up with won't stray far from what I had written.
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10
    can we use particle effects?
  • Mangled Poly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk wrote: »
    can we use particle effects?

I think adam answered this in another thread.... I believe he said you can but of course the poly count and textures you use go towards your final budget
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    No Characters, animals, aliens, or robots, can be shown in your scene. No monsters, no elves, no robots, no smurfs, etc. Statues made of stone and metal are allowed, but they must possess extremely minimal details.

Can we put in skeletons? Do these count as characters?
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt wrote: »
    Can we put in skeletons? Do these count as characters?

skeletons count as a statue is what Fred said over on Game Artisans. So yes but they have to be like dead skeletons. Not the re-animated, walking around, Evil Dead types...
  • TeacupBandit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If we use unreal and create our own collision, will the collision box's polys count towards the limit?
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If we use unreal and create our own collision, will the collision box's polys count towards the limit?

No. If you create collision for any reason it will not be counted towards your limits.
  • Addi_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi, I have a question regarding the final renders,
    Beauty Shot #1 Beauty Shot #1: Your best angle of your environment. (no Photoshop touchups!)
    - Up to 1100 x 1100 pixels and 350k file size.

Beauty Shot #2 Beauty Shot #2: A second beauty shot of your environment but from a different angle. (no photoshop touchups!)
    - Up to 1100 x 1100 pixels and 350k file size.

Is that like.. each sheet can only have 1 camera angle, or could we render one sheet with a 1100*1100 full size render of everything and a second sheet with say... 4 x 275*275 different close up shots?
  • SinisteR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can i use matte-painting techniques in 2d concept challenge? Not 3d, but some «upgraded» photos, some trees etc?
  • TeacupBandit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In the entries area, they put my Username as the Team name, as well as "teacupBandit" is a link to my gameartisans page. It is supposed to say AirButterCups, and be a link to the team page.

http://www.gameartisans.org/contests/events/4/team2/view_entries.html

Who do I speak to about getting that fixed?
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Addi_ wrote: »
    Hi, I have a question regarding the final renders,

Is that like.. each sheet can only have 1 camera angle, or could we render one sheet with a 1100*1100 full size render of everything and a second sheet with say... 4 x 275*275 different close up shots?

You get 2 images, 2 final frames, 2 final compositions, etc.

2x renders that can't exceed 1100x1000 pixels in any direction. You cannot split that resolution amongst multiple renders.
  • Peris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Peris polycounter lvl 17
    I'm really surprised noone has turned any of the concepts into an evil nazi thing!
  • fr0gg1e
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fr0gg1e polycounter lvl 17
    Peris wrote: »
    I'm really surprised noone has turned any of the concepts into an evil nazi thing!

Just when I wanted to post my entry =(
  • katzeimsack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katzeimsack polycounter lvl 17
    ok, we are allowed to have corpses, but

am i allowed to build a whole city out of them?
    They wouldn't be a focal point, they would more be like brinks in walls..
  • osman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    osman polycounter lvl 18
    Peris wrote: »

Mines goin to be like a nazi thing. With flags and stuff, like in those hitler parades.
  • SinisteR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How can i rename my thread?

Unearthly Challenge | Good-natured | Name of Environment
    to
    Unearthly Challenge | Good-natured | Holy Place
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    You should be able to just double-click the background of the thread in the main forum view to change the title. I've changed it for you.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    I just updated the original post with this information, but I thought I'd do it again in a reply so its get the proper attention.

Additional rules / answers to some questions about what is or is not allowed:

:icon_arrow:Simple skyboxes are acceptable.The texture resolution for your skybox must not exceed a resolution of 1024x1024 per side, so 1024x1024x6. The resolution of your skybox will not count towards the allocated 4096x4096 of texture space for this contest. Additionally, the triangle count of your skybox, if it should have a need for such a thing, will not count towards your final triangle count.

:icon_arrow:Skyportals / 'advanced skyboxes' are not acceptable. Any additional geometry/textures you'd like to be used for your scenes background or sky should be considered a part of your allocated texture resolution or triangle count and will be developed as such.
    E.g. If you decide to have floating clouds in your scene as separate geometry and not apart of your 'simple skybox' (see above) they will be counted towards both your texture resolution(s) and final triangle count and will NOT be considered to be a part of your 'simple skybox'.

:icon_arrow:Water/liquid is acceptable. The texture resolution for your water/liquid will be counted towards the allocated 4096x4096 texture space for this competition. Additionally, the triangles for the mesh* used for your water will count towards your final triangle count.

NOTE: If you use BSP for your environment, you must factor those triangles into your final triangle count.
    NOTE: Using the existing water texture/shaders from an engine is fine, but you must count its resolution towards your 4096x4096 texture budget. It is up to you to find these resolutions out and show them being used in your final entry submission.

:icon_arrow:FX / Particle emitters are acceptable.The texture resolution for the effects you use will count towards your allocated 4096x4096 texture space for this contest. Additionally, the triangle count used for your FX will count towards your final triangle count.

:icon_arrow:Environment/cube maps & masks are acceptable.The combined resolution of your environment maps will not count towards your allocated 4096x4096 texture resolution for this contest. However, the combined texture resolution of your environment/cube masks will count towards your allocated 4096x4096 texture space for this contest.
    NOTE: Environment/cube masks are considered an acceptable material layer along side diffuse, normal, spec, gloss, glow, opacity, and height maps.

:icon_arrow:The use of constant RGB material nodes to alter your texture is acceptable. We're not going to force you to use a new texture just to get a new texture with its colour tinted.

NOTE: While it is encouraged that you use up as much of your allocated 4096x4096 for some texture passes like diffuse, spec and normal maps it isn't an issue if other 'secondary' texture passes are not completely utilize the 4096x4096 texture

:icon_arrow:Texturing blending & multiple UV's are acceptable. Just be sure to show the textures/masks you use being counted for in your allocated 4096x4096 texture for each pass.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome, thanks for that, Adam.

-caseyjones
  • EVIL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    Jackwhat wrote: »
    I'm not quite clear on the rules for the 2d entrys... are we too supposed to base our ideas from an existing concept or are we given free roaming over it.

Also, are we aiming to essentially have a "beauty" shot and then a completely seperate sheet for the modeling sheet? - Im a bit new to environment modeling sheets so I was wondering if any references/resources as to how we should approach these could be put up.

Would a model sheet be something more akin to; http://www.gameartisans.org/contests/events/4/concepts/images/concept_23.html - with a breakdown on the seperate components?

- Im so fucking stoked for this, its gunna rock. o/

I saw that noone answered this so I'l have a go. If I am mistaken in this please correct me. But what I understand from the rules is that you can start from scratch and you have the abillity to create up to 3 environment concepts and each concept can win a place in the prize ranks. so you can win up to 3 prizes.

You will aim for: "1 beautishot; final rendering/painting of the environment, 1 model sheet; which should display additional details you might not see from that 1 shot, so if you have an eyecatcher of a building then you need to clearify visually how it will look from an other perspective. and 1 sketch sheet with thumbnails etc." per entry
  • Peris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Peris polycounter lvl 17
    is it possible to participate in both the 2d and 3d competition?
  • Funky Bunnies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Funky Bunnies polycounter lvl 17
    Each artist can join one 3d team (or do 3d alone) and create one 2d entry, however, both entries must be completely different. Example, if you create a water bucket in your 2d entry, you better not have a similar bucket design in your 3d entry.

yeah, looks like it. As long as it's different
  • Peris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Peris polycounter lvl 17
    ah thanks =). I should read the rules a bit more thorough i guess :D.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    adamBrome wrote: »
    *Under no circumstances is the use of BSP allowed for this competition!

Why not? It becomes a triangulated mesh at compile time, and you can count the triangles of that mesh.

You can also export the BSP-optimised mesh to a 3d package to get an exact triangle count (well, you can with ETQW's EditWorld anyway).

It's all triangles in the end, I see no reason why BSP should be disallowed as a starting point or filler for a scene.

Currently all my stuff is brushwork and patch work. I could export it all to models, but it would make no sense - the resulting mesh would be exactly the same number of triangles, with exactly the same amount of texture coordinates.

This sounds like a pointless restriction to me, unless there is a really good reason for it? I can't think of any.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Some engines cut up and render their BSP differently. It was a point I thought a while about before going with 'no BSP'. However, if people can figure out the additional triangles from that BSP and count it in their finals, it shouldn't be a problem. I changed that area.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL wrote: »
    I saw that noone answered this so I'l have a go. If I am mistaken in this please correct me. But what I understand from the rules is that you can start from scratch and you have the abillity to create up to 3 environment concepts and each concept can win a place in the prize ranks. so you can win up to 3 prizes.

You will aim for: "1 beautishot; final rendering/painting of the environment, 1 model sheet; which should display additional details you might not see from that 1 shot, so if you have an eyecatcher of a building then you need to clearify visually how it will look from an other perspective. and 1 sketch sheet with thumbnails etc." per entry
    This is correct, there was a bit of discussion at work between me and another dude about this. I initially thought you had to choose an existing concept and re-work it. But after reading through the rules a few times, I saw no mention of having to choose one of the 89 concepts. Whether or not you are allowed to use one of the 89 concepts as a base for your 2D entry, I'm not entirely sure. But I do know you can create up 3 entirely original concepts.

-caseyjones
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    2D = concept your own.
  • Saidin311
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saidin311 polycounter lvl 11
    Is there anything in the rules against using BSP?

Not that any of my visual elements will be BSP, but theres a couple secondary background things (like some floors) that would just make it easier if I could create some shapes with BSP and drop down a tiling texture.