Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP Ship (sailing, not space) C&C

Been working on a galleon:

galleoncx6.jpg

It currently consists of five different texture files, mostly 256x256 and 512x512 but the main one for the deck and body of the ship is 2048x1024 (probably will get downsized to 1024x512). I'm estimating somewhere between 20 and 25 thousand tris for the finished product (hopefully closer to 20).

I've got a couple of more ropes to add, and then I can duplicate the main mast, and replace my stand-in front mast with it, and edit it down to where it will fit in. The other main thing is adding supports so that the rail isn't floating in mid-air.

On the texturing side of things, I've got a lot more to do. The helm for the ship looks absolutely terrible, and I have no clue what I'm going to do to make the hull/deck look snazzy other than make the dirt marks and the door to the area underneath the ship I have in there stand out more. Although for the door, I'm thinking of just adding a box on top of the deck, and texturing that because I don't think that bump mapping is going to make it work.

As you can see, I'm starting to get in over my head, and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    so anyway, why are the rope ladders up to the crows nest attached to the bottom of it where no one could possibly get in?

you're also missing a lot of other rigging for the main and forward masts.

victory1.jpg

HMS victory, is one of my favorite ships of its class, next to the Agamemnon (Nelsons original flagship). and is a fantastic reference for you
  • ElysiumGX
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    Jeez, gir. Go easy on a guy. The Victory is an enormous ship.

David: one good piece of advice, is you should closely follow reference for something like this. and use better lighting when displaying the final result. you should use flat planes and an alpha channel for the ropes to cut down on the polycount.
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    sorry... the ex-military bug in me jumped out a bit =[

it does look good so far, but there's some wasted polies in the sails and on the hull of the ship.

if you really are going for accuracy though, try building it the same way as a real ship is built, start with the keel, then build the internal skeleton of the ship, put in some thwarts (beams that cut accross under the deck, going "athwart ship").

as with all 3d models, reference is key, and building from anatomy is important if you're going for realism. ships have anatomy too.

HalifaxDraught1c.jpg
    46540940.MORmenbuildingshipskeleton.jpg
    p24718b.JPG

When you texture the hull as well, remember that wooden ships had overlapping panels. and they always overlapped DOWNWARD so that water couldn't seep through.

hopefully this post has been a bit more helpful and less aggressive. sorry bro.
  • DavidC
    Wow, I've got about five pictures showing the anatomy of a ship, and yours is better than any of them. I was planning on adding a separate rope ladder apart from the shrouds for going up to the crows nest and had just completely forgotten about it until you pointed it out. For the hull and the sails, I'll try and merge a few verts together.

Elysium, as far as using flat planes for the ropes, I think that might be a little too low poly for this piece. I need to be able to view the ropes from any angle I want. I tried using rectangles with normal maps instead of cylinders, but the lighting was contrasting too much that way, and I didn't think the 200 or so tri reduction was worth the loss of quality.
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    you could always normalmap the rope ladders onto a flat poly, and then alpha out the transparrency?
  • DavidC
    So anyways, I've gotten some more stuff out of the way:

wiplb1.jpg

Here's my main concern: the door. Okay, forgetting the fact that it's a bit too wide, and that there's no knob or hinges on it yet, I'm wondering what's going on with the bump map. I've circled the area of my main ship's bump map where the problem is occurring. As you can see, I've just got the two halfs of the mesh overlaying on top of each other, but for some reason, the bump map is inverting on itself across the line. I thought it might be the normals, but they're all pointing the direction they're supposed to. Also, suggestions on things other than my main problem are greatly appreciated. Oh, and everything together is currently about 23,000 tris.
  • DavidC
    Well, I've got more rigging out of the way. Now my main concern, in addition to not having solved my door problem, is to attach lines to the horizontal sails for steering purposes.

shipdu6.jpg