Home Technical Talk

UT3 Terrain and shadows

I'm new to the whole terrain thing and I'm testing things out to get used to it, but I can't seem get my deco layer to cast any shadows (static or dynamic). That's not entirely true, actually. I see what looks like dynamic shadows pop only when I get close to the objects. Any help on terrain stuff in general will be appreciated!

Oh here's an image:
Terrain_Woes.jpg

Replies

• Jonathan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This should help,
    Unlike Unreal Engine 2, Terrain is lightmapped now. However, if the quality of the lightmap is not satisfactory enough it is possible to bump up its quality. To do so open up the properties of the terrain and expand the Lighting section. Enable bIsOverridingLightResolution, and enter a higher value under StaticLightingResolution. Note that this can have quite a performance impact, so again, use it wisely.
    The rest of it here,
    http://book.hourences.com/tutorialsue3terrain.htm
    :)

Be sure to "build all" so the lighting is "baked" as right now your trees are just casting dynamic shadows.
  • erik!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shit. My sky dome was casting shadows. I've been referring to Hourences regularly actually, big help.
    Now that that's cleared up. I'm creating a jungle/rainforest type environment with lots of foliage.

What would be the best way to light it?