Home Technical Talk

modelling shirt collars

Ruz
polycount lvl 666
Offline / Send Message
Ruz polycount lvl 666
whats your workflow for doing this?. Its driviing me a bit nuts.

I figured sculpting straight from the low poly in zbrush would be pretty easy, but I want a sharp collar, not a kludgey mess:)

my other method is to model the bloody thing , then subdivide, but the collar comes out too angular and needs a lot of smoothing off to make it look right.

suppose the last way is to take the low poly mesh in to zbrush and then use an alpha map as a displacement

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Modelling it should be easy, I would have thought. Flat plane, cut and angle in a V shape over on itself, Bend modifier around the neck, Shell modifier to give it some depth, Turbosmooth to make it look organic.

Then if it looks too sharp and angular, remove some polys from the control mesh until it's more organic. If it's too blobby, cut/divide some more detail in to sharpen it out.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    ahh i should have explained a bit more. I have built it in to the body, not how it is in real life.

so you would favour having the flaps as seperate from the main body, though attached at the neck , like in real life?

I am asking from the point of view that sometimes you are asked to work from a base mesh that cannot be altered, so you have limited choices
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The low-poly in-game mesh might be un-alterable (so it doesn't break a rig, or stays morphable), but the base mesh for sculpting should never be a limiting factor... that's used just for baking so there's no valid reason (IMHO) for keeping to a specific mesh.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    True Eric, but you would be surprised how particular about doing stuff some people can be:)

here is my current effort. works ok and perhaps just posting led me me to quickly improve it.

damn that always happens, as if the very act of posting a request somehow galvanizes me to solve it.

collar.jpg

But preferably I would like not to have to skew the mesh flow of the chest to fit in to the collar topology, so i might give MoP's suggestion

a try also
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz wrote: »
    True Eric, but you would be surprised how particular about doing stuff some people can be:)

People like that should be shot.