Home Technical Talk

HandWraps

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
seforin polycounter lvl 17
I recently posted this and was given a answer that it would be best to use the zbrush built in feature to project out the wraps but it only had gave it the effect of floating cylinders that where gaggy instead of a wraps effect I wanted on this characters glove, so Im in 3d's max 9 trying to build wraps and Ive tried doing it manually (which is a pain) and then tried illusion catalyst to make the wraps appear as there overlaying one another heres a example or 2 of what im trying to accomplish

this is what im trying to work on (his glove part )
dud3.jpg

and this is what im trying to do.those wraps near the feet of this character how were they achieved ?
Naruto_007.jpg

Replies

• gavku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gavku polycounter lvl 18
    They just look like sculpted cylinders to me....I would just strip model them, apply a shell modifier, then sculpt.
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    just put a plane ontop of his hand and start edgeextruding arround his arm. use shell modifier. or you could use zbrush and extract a piece of the arm and make masks for the wraps one by one.
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea I tried that but I didnt really have much luck it started to become very difficult to align to the face whil keep the wrap look I was just curious if there was a easier technique people who have done before have done?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] polycounter lvl 18
    I do this for these:
    wrapsam1.jpg
    it's a really sloppy example I did just now, but you get the idea
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Yep, fly_soup has done it exactly how I would.
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks fly_soup and mop, I appreciate the help :)...this may sound kinda nobish but where is the mesh extract/ shell modifier in z-brush Ive never tried to extract meshes before?

Also just for the sake of asking lets say in the future I wanted to do something like how the guys at vigil games made for darksiders (That big blob monster featured on z-brushes forum top page, and I think its in pimping and previews here, noticed how they really had a wrap look to them and conformed to that shape well) Im right now using illusion catalyst plugin for max (which rocks) And theres a feature in there I Was using to conform flat planes and snap them to a mesh while I draw it on...the down side is it dosent overlay it continues to keep being on the same vertex plane, which makes it a hassel when you wrap around 3-4 times on a character. I'll post a screen shot if that will help make better sense of what im asking?

but yea Im definetly for THIS character doing the z-brush method once someone can explain to me that simple step :)
  • Jonathan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Check out this tutorial from Gnomonology, it might help. You're making some great progress. :)
    http://gnomonology.com/tutorial/216
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] polycounter lvl 18
    The extract button is under Tool>Subtools, right below the list of subtools. The tooltip will say "extract visible", but it actually extracts whatever is masked off, not the parts that are unmasked. There are sliders for adjusting the surface smoothness, edge smoothness, and skin thickness. It's not undoable, but the extraction is non-destructive to the original mesh. So if the extraction comes out too thick you'll have to select the new subtool it made, delete it (using the delete subtool button down near the extract button), adjust the skin thickness setting and try again. In the example I posted, I think I had it set to around .0003, or something like that. The same goes for the smoothness settings if it's too jagged at the edges or if the surface isn't smooth enough. Also, the more crisp the mask is, the cleaner the edges of the extraction will generally be.
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thank you very much for the help :) The technique you showed and explained helped alot, its rather tough to follow the roudness while keeping the wrap look but after a bit of trial and error I got it to a point I feel satisfied with it, heres a screen shot :) Thank you!

dud_sept.jpg
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i would expect the wraps to be wider. right now that looks like scotch tape