Home General Discussion

Do you play the Lottery?

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
flaagan polycounter lvl 18
Whether local / state / country-wide, scratch-em's or tickets, do you play a lottery, and why / why not?

I personally get a few 'quick-pick' state lottery and mega-millions (country-wide lotto) every few weeks. Most I've ever won was maybe $20 back. I do it mainly for the fun (albeit small) chance of suddenly ending up with enough money to do all the things I've wanted to; also, I'd be able to give back to the people who've helped me along in life on a scale grander than I normally could.

Replies

• Kawe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kawe polycounter lvl 8
    it happens like once a year and I don't even know why.. cause I feel lucky?
  • carlo_c
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol Kawe I'm the same, once in a blue moon I'll think "today feels good, I'm going to play the lottery"

Then I eagerly await the results feeling like I'm already a millionaire and planning my spending accordingly... then the results are announced and I look at my ticket and think "well, if I didn't play I wouldn't have had a chance at all right?"

In fact, I am feeling lucky right now... :)
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10
    yeah about 5 times a year i'll buy a powerball ticket. when its over 100mil of course.
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    Every wonze-ina-whi-L I will pick one up if the jackpot is higher than usual.
  • Target_Renegade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
    I dont usually play, but same as above really, its always a case of if its going to happen it might as well be when I least expect it. Stupid logic really, but its persuaded me to buy one now.
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    I don't because it is such a colossal waste of money in my view. The odds just don't seem like they're worth it to me, seems to be more or less just tossing money away.

But that's just me. :P
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10
    Tulkamir wrote: »
    I don't because it is such a colossal waste of money in my view. The odds just don't seem like they're worth it to me, seems to be more or less just tossing money away.

But that's just me. :P

Never tell me the odds.
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    I'll play is the lottery if it's at some ridiculous amount. Once, my buddy and I went "halfsies" on a powerball ticket, and won $100 from it. We split the cash, and spent half of our cut on more tickets. Didn't win anything after that.

Another time, I picked up a $1 scratch off, and won $5, went back in and got two more, I kept on winning small amounts and buying 1 more ticket each time until I didn't win one. Came out $40 ahead.

All in all, I've been lucky with my lottery experiences, but I rarely play. Whenever I go back home, to visit The Mom, she takes me to the slots...and we always win. It's a fun time. :D
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    if you do; just DONT be one of those fucking people who buys it, waits at the counter in line to scratch it off, buys 2 more, does it again, and asks for your winnings right there while a line of 15 people build up behind you.

only times in life i wished i had a roll of quarters in my pocket to give someone an unhappy knock on the back of their head.
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    I always laugh when I hear someone say they buy lottery tickets every once in a while, but only when the jackpot is $100million and not just $50million... like $50,000,000 wouldn't really change their life at all, but $100,000,000 would... for some reason.
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    I play when I feel like I am infected with the luck virus :D
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    I don't think it is a waste of money at all. It raises money for schools and such.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I keep feeling like I'd win if I did play the lottery, but I really can't justify it to myself. I expect the vast majority of the time it'd just be throwing money away.

Still, it's just as likely to be me than anyone else I guess. Just very very very unlikely to be anyone.
  • TheWinterLord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheWinterLord polycounter lvl 17
    U guys you havent won when you are feeling lucky, but the day it rains and someone on the street punches you in the face for no reason, thats when you should buy a ticket! :P
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    U guys you havent won when you are feeling lucky, but the day it rains and someone on the street punches you in the face for no reason, thats when you should buy a ticket! :P

Hahahaha.

That's the usual comment over on the vette forum after someone's gotten pulled over and didn't get a ticket or managed to avoid a major accident. :poly142:
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    once a while, like yesterday, i felt lucky,
    i road 15km on my bicycle, gotten a flat tire, walked home, while the rain was poring down.

i see it like this, i drink a beer less every week, and that is enough to buy a ticket, either way, the next morning you wasted the money by drinking it or feeling lucky for just 5 minutes