here's the max scanline, the whole scene's around 4k poly
sewerdemo1.jpgsewerdemo1.jpg
editor view:
sewerdemo4.jpgsewerdemo4.jpg
some ingame views:
sewerdemo5.jpg
sewerdemo6.jpg
sewerdemo7.jpg

havent worked on lighting much and there are still a lot to be done, c&c are most welcome, thanks guys! :poly121:

Replies

• Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    reference looks really good, are you going to build that walkway that the reference photo is taken from? that would be really cool and really show off the environment. It looks like its going well in my opinion. The textures look a bit bumpy and metallic when the reference looks a more like solid concrete in my opinion but I guess that may just be your direction. When the lights are in this could really shine :)
  • Paul Pepera
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul Pepera polycounter lvl 9
    Watch the scale of the textures, they seem too large. You may also want to put some detail maps on the materials so that they hold up better close-up.

Try to put some kind of trim around the circular opening of the hallway, like in the reference photo, so that it's not just a hole cut out of bricks.

Looks cool so far. :)
  • AXiao
    Hey guys thanks for the awesome feedback, I worked on the scene some more and now I'm getting close to wrap things up for my portfolio. Eraserhead, i took some advice and now the scene's lit better and more assets were modeled and textured in the scene! I am still trying to get a lot more decals in to cover up bad seams and large textures. anyhow, here's some more shots

i didnt model the awesome marcus and his weapons *next time baby...*. i extracted the water material from one of gear's map because i am still trying to figure out how what's the best method to make instructional water materials in the editor. other than that, the rests are modeled in max and textured in ps.

sewerDemo8.jpg
    top down view of the area, some more assets such as barrels and pipes were modeled and added (with physics)
    sewerDemo9.jpg
    top down view from another angle
    sewerDemo10.jpg
    added scaffolding in the water
    sewerDemo11.jpg
    added a big ass fan on top, and it actually spins!
    sewerDemo12.jpg
    the entrance, now capped

those of you who have gears and wanna give this a go in the game, you can download the map at
    http://www.artofandyxiao.com/fun/SP-Sewer.zip
  • alexk
    Offline / Send Message
    alexk polycounter lvl 12
  • Cody
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    Looking pretty cool! No crits from me, this looks professional. Great job.
  • Crumplecakes
    looking ace, I don't know if it is, but it looks a lot like (or reminds me of) the sewer scene from Judgment Night (the movie)
  • |Buddy|
    Offline / Send Message
    |Buddy| polycounter lvl 11
    I like it! The colour scheme is pretty interesting as its a lot diferent than the usual grey gow/ut3 :). I think that You could improve it a lot by trying some more contrasty lighting, maybe put one or two high intesity spotlights somewhere?
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    it reminds me of the oil stratum from FF8 (underneath Balamb Garden).

looks ace =]
  • osman
    Offline / Send Message
    osman polycounter lvl 18
    Looks cool, first thing that comes in mind is, this is Unreal Engine 3, so dont be affraid to use more polygons. Now im not saying, be reckless, but..just dont be affraid to make stuff look better by using more polygons. For example, the tunnel, I probably would have used more segments to make it smoother.
    Also, try to find spots for bigger,weirder lightsources, so that you can create a nice contrast in lighting.
    What you could do is(unless you want to keep it as much as the reference pic is), tone the yellow light down, and make those 2 spotlights have a bigger impact.
  • Davidskiwan
    Offline / Send Message
    Davidskiwan polycounter lvl 18
    Very nice stuff, I like it. I must say though i agree with Oz, if you played with the lightsources a bit and upped the contrast of the lighting it'd have a bit more umphf to it
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    confuses me why there are cables underneath the big metal plates seems they'd be too heavy and cause shorts in the wires?

Why not above the metal slabs?
  • AXiao
    hey thanks for the cnc guys!
    OZ: on it! gonna tweak the light a little bit further tonight, gonna post more shots later. and i have to agree i was a little bit too conservative on polycount, next time baby, next time.:poly127: i'll go nuts!

dekard: you know, that's interesting, i think i'll make a quick change, afterall, they are on separate layers.:poly121:
  • DInusty
    Offline / Send Message
    DInusty polycounter lvl 17
    looks cool. i think if u toned down the radius of your lights u can get a much more dynamic and interesting scene. right now it looks like a lot of noise and my eyes dont know what to focus on. example is the big ass fan ur talking about is hard to see. maybe have a back light behind it so u see the silhouette of it spinning.
  • mikezoo
    Offline / Send Message
    mikezoo polycounter lvl 14
    Looking better than the version I played mr. xiao. looking good. looking sexy!
    You should focus some time on the upper areas so you have some more places to go once you climb up the rafters! And post your props when you get done!
  • glottis8
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    You should look more into polishing the materials. So far it looks solid but it doesn't feel next gen like Unreal 3 or GoW. A lot of it comes down to how you use your spec and a combination of subtle normals with hardcore grunge. Unreal material editor is very powerful and you can make the simplest of textures look freaking amazing with the help of the right lights. Which brings me to the next point. The lighting is very mellow and it could be more dramatic. I like the washed look that the reference photo has but that has a really bright light source. Your scene has no such thing and those lights look like working lights. It would be nice to see some of your txtures layouts so we can look more into what you can do with it. This is a very interesting scene that has a lot of potential, it just needs plenty of polishing and tweaking to get it to be something impressive.
  • Reich
    Looking good. I'd say your spec needs some work. you have lot of metal in there and none of it is reading like metal. although rust doesn't have much spec all the scratched metal showing through will along with your barrels ect. Metal is tough to pull off. Play with your Spec and spec color. Otherwise looking good keep it up.

Oh and a small nit pick. The great on the roof seems a little big...like it wouldn't be really stoping anything getting through..inless that's not it's cause.
  • Incomitatum
    Offline / Send Message
    Incomitatum polycounter lvl 17
    I am new and getting into UE3 myself.

Is your fan a mesh that is part of the scene, and key framed? Or is it tied to a motor-like entity and told to spin?

Thank you for lending me your wisdom,

-Andrew
  • AXiao
    I am new and getting into UE3 myself.

Is your fan a mesh that is part of the scene, and key framed? Or is it tied to a motor-like entity and told to spin?

Thank you for lending me your wisdom,

-Andrew

hey andrew, the fan is modeled in max, and it's actually a separate scene, so i made a scene with just the fan in it. i skinned it to a bone, and made sure the heirarchy is right, then use ACTORX to export it as a psk and import it in unrealed as an animated mesh. while the bone in max is keyframed to spin 360 degree, so all you have to do is use actorx to digest your animation, it's gonna give you a psa file, then you can use the ANIMeditor in unreal to import your animation, then the rest is just using kismet and matinee to make sure it spins in the game. :)

animated static meshes are a little bit complex to get a hang of, but matinee sure opens up so many possibilities! especially when a physic mesh can now have an idle animation!:\

also, thanks for the cnc guys! it appears the biggest thing i need to address is the spec, and the lighting, i'll work on it!
  • Incomitatum
    Offline / Send Message
    Incomitatum polycounter lvl 17
    Great! I am glad to hear that it was keyframed. I have done a lot of rigid, machine like, animation in the past.

Do you know of any tutorials off-hand that explain the process you listed? Another Polycounter has told me about this too. I am at work, and it's all hard to digest till I can get back to my rig, but I would love to read more in the meantime.

I guess I will do a search as well.
  • AXiao
    Great! I am glad to hear that it was keyframed. I have done a lot of rigid, machine like, animation in the past.

Do you know of any tutorials off-hand that explain the process you listed? Another Polycounter has told me about this too. I am at work, and it's all hard to digest till I can get back to my rig, but I would love to read more in the meantime.

I guess I will do a search as well.

hmm, im at work too :poly136: so i'll have to go dig up some tutorials when i have the time, though it was a trial and error process for me, a quick search on the gears user mod forum at epic did come up with some great results. i think the whole animation exporting process is exactly the same as unreal2, except in 3 you have more control over it.