Home Technical Talk

Out of memory pt. 2

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
joe gracey polycounter lvl 11
I saw there was another "out of memory" thread, but I didn't want to jack alexk's thread.

When I open my maya scene, after about 10 minutes, a little window pops up that reads "out of memory", and I'm forced to close my scene without saving it. My scene is 8000 tris so it's nothing huge. This just started to happen a couple days ago, and I can't figure out what is sucking all my memory away.

I've had this computer for about 2 years now, so its relatively old for a computer. Should I buy more RAM or could it be something else? I currently have 2 gigs, which for the past two years has been enough, but maybe I need more because my comp is getting old.

Should I replace the current RAM I have with brand new sticks?

I removed all the games and programs I haven't used for a while thinking that would help, but it didn't.

Anyone know what is going on?

Replies

• ironbearxl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ironbearxl polycounter lvl 18
    did you try re-installing maya?
  • joe gracey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I haven't tried that yet. The only problem (and its lame) is that I don't know how to install Maya. There is a step or two that is missing with the directions to install, and I'm not sure what to do for those steps. It's really noobish I know. I had a friend who is much more computer savvy than me, install it for me a while back. I don't suppose anyone can post all the steps to installing Maya? I'm pretty sure I have the latest version.

On a side note, I just checked the inside of my computer and holy crap batman, it's DUSTY! Two years and not one cleaning... not good. I need to buy an air spray can and clean it out tomorrow.
  • benclark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    a couple of things you could try before a reinstall...

run an optimise scene, on the scene the keeps crashing
    delete all your prefs and settings folders (should be in your My Documents)
    reset to defaults settings on everything

I had this same problem before with a scene and it was my maya prefs folder that caused the trouble
  • joe gracey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you Ben, I am going to try that as soon as I get home.