Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Crocodingus in Cube Island : the game

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
madPXL polycounter lvl 10
hello all

finally I made a new game with a french coder named Birslip
It's a reflection/platform game for the Nintendo DS. This game is full 3D and it runs at 60fps. It includes 10 levels with differents features.
You must collect all the bananas of each levels in order to finish them.

screenshot_1.pngscreenshot_2.png

Enjoy here

Update : [ame]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=OgvniIsnmuI[/ame]

[edit] a new version is out !

Replies

• BrodyB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah, so THAT'S what you've been up to all this time. :D
  • edwardE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really awesome style with this. I'm going to have to check it out.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    very nice style- love the colors and the simplicity of shape
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    First of all I love the style and simplicity. Your pixel work is great. I gave this a try. My R4 had started collecting dust.

This game is a lot of fun. I'm impressed to find this level of refinement and enjoyment in a homebrew title. One of the best I've seen. The controls are simple, and the visuals are perfect. I have lots of friends that are involved in DS homebrew, and I'll share this with them for inspiration.

I have some advice to improve it.

On one of the intro screens, the underpants are coving your name, sometimes.

You must fix all the artifacts that are showing between seams. They are too distracting.

It's too easy to fall into the water. The stylus controls took some getting use to, and can sometimes be clumsy. Combine that with the ease at which you can fall into the water before reaching the edge when taking corners, and you can have some frustrating game play, and one less life. There were a couple times when I thought "no way, i was on the ground".

There needs to be some indication that you've found all bananas, before looking for the exit. Or perhaps a counter for how many remain in the level. One reason is for assurance. The other for the fact I walked towards an exit before finding all the bananas, and so walked through the exit and fell in the water again. I didn't expect to walk through it.

Some of the menu screens, such as GameOver, I could not interact with the stylus. I wasn't sure what to do. It gave me a choice between Level Select and Try Again, but I couldn't choose. I tried all the buttons. Pressing Start put me back in the level, where I could then press Start again, and Exit.

All this aside, with more levels, and perhaps a few different gameplay types...this could easily compare with and perhaps top most current DS titles in terms of overall quality and entertainment. Great work.
  • madPXL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks to all for your nice comments !

ElysiumGX : big thanks for yours remarks, I'm happy that you love it ;)
    the next release will get several changes.
  • hobodactyl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hobodactyl polycounter lvl 18
    This is so cool, I need to get my DS back from a friend but I'll definitely try it this weekend!
  • Generalvivi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Generalvivi polycounter lvl 14
    This is awesome! How do you get it onto the ds tho? ( I just purchased a ds lite )
  • jerry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think it looks great and the controls are pretty good for homebrew 3d. It just isn't that much fun. I must say i only played the first two levels but it didnt feel like a puzzle or anything else that was asked of me to keep me involved and make it fun. This is a basis for what could be a great game but needs some thought on gameplay, or maybe i should just play more levels.

GJ.
  • madPXL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jerry : the firsts levels are the basics.
    I recommend you to play more levels ;)
  • 3devo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3devo polycounter lvl 12
    fun title. little to easy to fall into the water but otherwise a nice little game to kill some time with.
    Good job!
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    jerry: Play more levels, noob.

The first 2 levels are only an introduction to the game's controls and objectives, with the subsequent levels increasing in challenge, and introducing more puzzle elements. Great game design.

Speaking of Level 3, my girlfriend found a major blocker you guys should look into. (credit given because she reads my posts ^_^)

I'll try to describe it to you.
    She moved a block in a position so that, it was surrounded on three sides by raised land, a tree, and water. So, stuck out of play. She accidently moved against the block and fell into the water beside it. She was respawned beside the block standing above the water. Attempting to move back on land would cause her to fall into water repeatedly until out of lives. At which point, due the menu screen error i mentioned in my last post, pressing start would put her in a death loop. Requiring rebooting of the DS to exit. It's Level 3, on the 3rd island, with the 3 blocks, and the tree in the corner. I've found that in any situation when a block is next to water, you can almost walk around the edge.
  • madPXL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks again :)

A new version is out !!

go here crocodingus.madpxl.com
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    Hey guys.
    Congrats on the 3rd place win in the Homebrew Bounty!!