Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP- Van Halfling

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Puck polycounter lvl 10
Well, finally after much deliberation and distraction i've found my way into a course (Cert @ AIE in Aus), meaning i've finally got some sweet lovin' time in with 3D Max.

So please, for the love of god help me get better.

Oh and *waves to Jackablade*, the man always speaks so highly of the place and the denizens that inhabit it that I could stay away no longer.

Well this is pretty much my first character ever, he looked simple enough and as good a place as any to start. (Based on zzz Warhammer Miniature)

1pvn2.jpg

52973139ji1.jpg

50989645gv7.jpg

Continual Rotation of 45 degrees below.

http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/4434/41197396il1.jpg

http://img391.imageshack.us/img391/5861/54688666xz4.jpg

http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/8807/50681087cm3.jpg

http://img385.imageshack.us/img385/119/38218802ou2.jpg

http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/4526/36865506lc9.jpg

Firstly, rendering him out repeatedly has led me to realise I could simplify his sword, hands, head and shoes pretty drastically without losing any overall form, but I do have some somewhat specific questions.

(Still unsure as to how detailed the head should be given the hat, I've defined the nose and brow line somewhat but that's about it, no ears, eye sockets etc)

So firstly, Crotch Cam, how would I better handle such an area? The way it works really irks me for some unknown reason, but does it really matter given his unmentionables go unseen 99% of the time?

crotchld2.jpg

Aside from that my questions mostly pertain to that of UV mapping, from a technical point of view I know *how* to UV map, but i'd like advice as to how best cut this little guy up.

As I understand (correct me by all means) the best place for a seam in regards to the torso is up both sides under the armpits or a single slice down the back, I figure a slice down the back would work well in this case given it'll be mostly obstructed anyhow. Y/N/have I gone full retard?

Much Love in Advance,

Puck

Replies

• Randommonkies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You could always just delete the crotch/ whatever goes unseen behind the jacket.

crits would be the strap for the sword on his chest seems a bit too high, you could probably reduce that.

Also maybe break up the silhouette of the arms a bit, for example model in some oversized cuffs on the sleeve, Also the side profile could be a bit more to it, maybe give him a bit of a gut or exaggerate the belt .. all depending on the reference i guess. Could you post the ref pic?

also want to post the back of the char? wanna see the sword!

keep it up!
  • innervision961
    Quick question, is a slice down the back really that good of an idea? Especially if the character is the avatar in a third person game where the back of the character is what the player will see 90% of the time?
  • Kawe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kawe polycounter lvl 8
    Welcome to Polycount. You need to take the name of this forum more seriously and provide us with a... poly count! :)

I agree with the post above. The strap for the sword looks like it is using a lot of polygons.. and like you said the head, hands and sword can be reduced significantly.

The character itself is good though I think.
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    its all quads, and then you have the hat xD
  • Puck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Puck polycounter lvl 10
    You could always just delete the crotch/ whatever goes unseen behind the jacket.

crits would be the strap for the sword on his chest seems a bit too high, you could probably reduce that.

Also maybe break up the silhouette of the arms a bit, for example model in some oversized cuffs on the sleeve, Also the side profile could be a bit more to it, maybe give him a bit of a gut or exaggerate the belt .. all depending on the reference i guess. Could you post the ref pic?

also want to post the back of the char? wanna see the sword!

keep it up!

The cuffs sound like an excellent idea, in fact the reference has them. =/

The sword was there, just didn't throw image tags on it for the sake of bandwidth, so here ya go!

54688666xz4.jpg

...and as for the reference...

hh016vanhalflingconversxi8.jpg

I'm still tossing up whether or not to model some of the coat details, additional flap at the front, tails at the back or to leave that for the texture.

Oh and the strap itself might indeed be a little bit too high poly, I took a plane, folded it like a "V" as to at the very least give it some depth and pretty much just followed the basic contours of his shoulder. What would be a better way to do it?

Quick question, is a slice down the back really that good of an idea? Especially if the character is the avatar in a third person game where the back of the character is what the player will see 90% of the time?

Not sure to be honest, i'd wager that it's generally not a good idea, but I figure I can hide most of the seem behind the sword and the tails of the coat won't show it up too much.
    Kawe wrote: »
    Welcome to Polycount. You need to take the name of this forum more seriously and provide us with a... poly count! :)

I agree with the post above. The strap for the sword looks like it is using a lot of polygons.. and like you said the head, hands and sword can be reduced significantly.

The character itself is good though I think.

Polycount is 1442...a lovely err....round...no, random number!

Rens wrote: »
    its all quads, and then you have the hat xD

This is bad, yes? O_o

Also, thanks for all the tips so far....after i've finished being drilled in the fine art of stacking primitives i'll give him another work over.
  • Randommonkies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the hat is an easy fix, instead of having all the lines going into a pole, just have them cross over to connect with the vert on the opposite side of the circle.

ya cuffs would look sweet. I think getting some of the arch of the characters back(as in the ref), even though hes not posed yet would be cool. Also the cut in the back of the jacket would be cool too.

going to model the gun? :)