Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Cement Cover Block

Cyph3r
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Cyph3r polycounter lvl 9
Hmm, I think im going to have to make a model dump thread. Anyway, here's more texture practise from me. A cement cover block, thing. Inspired by Gears of War. 1482 Tri's. 1024 Diffuse/Normal/Spec:

ConcreteBlock1.jpg
ConcreteBlock1_Wire.jpg

Diffuse:
ConcreteBlock_Diffuse.jpg

Normal:
ConcreteBlock_Normals.jpg

Specular:
ConcreteBlock_Specular.jpg

Replies

• Havok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Havok polycounter lvl 14
    Nice job, it looks good. But it doesn't seem like the normal map is doing much. Duplicate the normal map to a different layer and set the blending mode to overlay. That should do the trick. Play with the opacity on the duplicate layer to your liking if it is too intense. You may also want to erase the parts that are way too strong, like the bits toward the outside of the map may come out too intense.
  • TheSplash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good idea, this will be good practice even though you are keeping the scope small.

The ambient occlusion is way to strong, there's no way that much shadow is getting in there.
    I'm not totally sold on the diffuse either, the moss and dirt seems kinda randomly placed.
    Think about where the moss would grow and where the dirt would build up.
    You have some small cracks in your texture, maybe you could make them more apparent and translate them into your normal map as well.
    Your spec map has some colour from your diffuse in it, concrete doesn't have a coloured specular.
    Also it does seem rather high poly for a cover block.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    You've got the basic idea down, now where it needs to be improved

I reckon you started baked from a high poly, but that (the high) doesn't have much big shapes detail. No cracks, big shapes, etc, just the few chunks cut out.

The low looks like multires from the high poly. This makes a pretty sloppy low. You could have built this from hand much cleaner.

AO does get dark in the chunks you knocked out.

Spec doesn't seem too effective, but I don't seem much lighting in your presentation. Better lighting will help it a lot.

Is it really inspired by GoW or is it just my tutorial? ;)
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This seems really messy, it looks more like a rock than a man-made structure because of the extremely wavy shape it has. The normal map is really blurry and sketchy, nothing really reads as recognizable shapes, just totally random brush strokes.