Home General Discussion

Activision Blizzard Lets 100 go

Replies

• MattW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattW polycounter lvl 10
    Seems to be a lot of these stories these days. I can't read the article at work, did they give a reason?
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    Read about this earlier. Sad...as usual :/

Any black n green affected?

Here's the info from the Vancouver Sun, for those that can't reach the link:
    Marke Andrews and Fiona Anderson , Vancouver Sun
    Published: Wednesday, August 13, 2008

VANCOUVER -- Vancouver video game company Radical Entertainment will be laying off about 100 employees, almost half of its staff, the company confirmed Wednesday.

The cut-backs stem from a decision by the company's owner -- Activision Blizzard -- to reduce the number of titles Radical produces by half.

"Activision Blizzard is committed to making the best games possible and has elected at this time to reduce the number of titles that Radical is developing from four games to two," Leah Rubin, Radical's vice-president of human resources, said in an email. "Therefore, we will be proportionately reducing the size of our studio."

The reductions come in the wake of an ownership change last month that saw France-based Vivendi, which owns Radical, and American video software company Activision, join forces as Activision Blizzard.

At the time of the merger, Activision Blizzard CEO Bobby Kotick told a Variety reporter that if projects didn't meet the company's requirements for return to shareholders and profitability they wouldn't be retained.

Two weeks ago, Activision Blizzard released a statement saying it would "realign staffing" at Radical Entertainment as well as at High Moon Studios, which is located in San Diego, spurring rumours that layoffs were imminent.

Radical was founded in 2001 and bought by Vivendi in 2005 for an undisclosed price. In 2007 the company hired almost 100 people, only half of whom came from British Columbia. Twelve were from other provinces and the rest came from outside Canada. The hiring spree brought the number of employees to more than 200.

Last month, Activision Blizzard said it would go ahead with five games or franchises including Radical's Crash Bandicoot, and Prototype, a new game created by Radical that will debut in 2009. Radical's hit title Scarface: The World is Yours was not listed. Rubin said Radical would be offering laid-off employees a number of tools and resources to help them find new employment.
  • Murdoc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Murdoc polycounter lvl 11
    The worst thing was the employees knew like 3 weeks before; we've been interviewing a ton of people from there ever since, so yay for us; but sad that 100(I heard 160) are now out on the street.

A few months ago Radical seemed like on the up swing, they had 4 projects going and we're hiring like nuts so it seemed like their business was pretty viable; but I'm a little confused at Activisions process in this, they seem to be killing their core gamer studios which means the only core games they'll have left are the blizzard quality ones and then they'll have abunch of waggle ware to make profits.

But agian, they were making profits anyway, so I don't see the point.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    man that totally stinks :(
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    lame
    'if projects didn't meet the company's requirements for return to shareholders and profitability they wouldn't be retained.'
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    more Activision studio job losses :(
    http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/54178

High Moon studios also in the layoffs
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    it's all fucking collapsing! make a run for the banks! run to the hills! create a small farm and defend it with guns!
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    Yea, heard about this a while back, pretty goddamn terrible. Especially given the many other layoffs and studios closing in the Vancouver area lately. Not a good time for the industry.

Activision is fucking a lot of people over. Getting to the point where I really can't stand the company.
  • MattW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattW polycounter lvl 10
    Thanks for posting the article Geezus. That is sad, I feel for those that are affected.
  • TWilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TWilson polycounter lvl 18
    I heard 159 people from Radical. They handled this very poorly. Most developers in Vancouver knew about this weeks ago.

I wish the best of luck to everyone who's parted ways with Radical and High Moon.

I hope that those remaining are allowed to finish your games well and proper still.
  • Armanguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Armanguy polycounter lvl 17
    didn't you use to work there Tyler?
  • JDinges
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JDinges polycounter lvl 18
    That really sucks. always sad to hear about layoffs.

Activision has been pretty awesome to Raven, can't complain.

I guess these layoffs were just merger fatalities. Ultimately I'd imagine it's best for their business plan.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    yup this affects swordfish studios where I used to work.

'Massive Entertainment and Swordfish Studios are both under consideration for sale or closure'

sucks really
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bluekangaroo polycounter lvl 13
    thats shitty news...sorry to hear that to all who got laid off
  • Target_Renegade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
    whoa, i just applied to Massive - the Swedish company, does this spell an era of no go with regards to the games industry?. Is this the credit crunch syndrome or coincedence?
  • CrazyMatt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I havn't started working yet and am trying to get over my "Modding Fever" symptoms and apply for some jobs...but all these layoff's are making me feel less optimistic about applying for a job that will let me settle for a good while, or almost makes me feel like companies are tired of trying new people & want to keep only veterans around for a certain # of years before they feel they can hire again to a studio population of what it was once at.:(
  • I_luv_Pixels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I_luv_Pixels polycounter lvl 17
    probably all QA
  • JDinges
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JDinges polycounter lvl 18
    CrazyMatt wrote: »
    I havn't started working yet and am trying to get over my "Modding Fever" symptoms and apply for some jobs...but all these layoff's are making me feel less optimistic about applying for a job that will let me settle for a good while, or almost makes me feel like companies are tired of trying new people & want to keep only veterans around for a certain # of years before they feel they can hire again to a studio population of what it was once at.:(

Honeslty, those are just misconceptions. Yes the industry can be volatile, but ultimately there are a lot of good jobs out there that will allow you to settle down. And people new to the scene are still being hired, it's all about your attitude and portfolio.
  • CrazyMatt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JDinges wrote: »
    Honeslty, those are just misconceptions. Yes the industry can be volatile, but ultimately there are a lot of good jobs out there that will allow you to settle down. And people new to the scene are still being hired, it's all about your attitude and portfolio.

Ah, never doubting in my mind about new hires & believe me i'm not judging the industry to a whole percentage, but given i'm a west-coaster i'm just under the impression that I should avoid more west-coast jobs due to the state of how our economy is in/at.
    But I know it's just me thinking poorly over this situation, maybe my modding fever kicking in again :P
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    I don't think it has anything to do with 'where the industry is headed' or any of that nonsense. Businesses close, and businesses open. Yeah, layoffs suck.. But for every studio that shuts down, there are 100 more that are working just fine.