Home General Discussion

NZ Conceptart.org/Massive Black workshop - Nov 13-16

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Asmuel polycounter lvl 17
Who's going?

http://www.conceptart.org/workshop/
http://www.conceptart.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=73

Can anyone tell me what their experiences were like at past events? I know a few of you went to the Seattle one. You get a 75 dollar discount if you book before midnight on the 15th of this month, so I'll probably make the decision within the next 24 hours. Details are a little sparse right now as far as instructors and such, I hope to see some of the same guys that came to Seattle :)

Replies

• achmedthesnake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    achmedthesnake polycounter lvl 17
    damn, the spots are all taken by sheep :) lol errr.....
    have they done any in auz?
  • TheSplash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm thinking about going. Expensive...
  • Asmuel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    have they done any in auz?

why would they? heh
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    If there are spots left, I'll be booking tonight!

-caseyjones
  • spyrewolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aw great... I choose to move to the states at the wrong time ...

If only i held off a few months bah!

Asmuel i just noticed from NZ, welly represent.
  • Asmuel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spyrewolf wrote: »
    Aw great... I choose to move to the states at the wrong time ...

Its karma yankee. I DO NOT SUPPORT YOUR WAR OF TERROR!

hehe ;)
  • FunkaDelicDass
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FunkaDelicDass polycounter lvl 18
    I went to the San Francisco workshop a few years ago. Back then it was a bit disorganized, certain speakers being late or unable to show up, equipment issues, etc. But it was a very inspiring few days. You'll meet lots of cool people. Since they've had many more since then, the event probably runs smoother.
  • stimpack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stimpack polycounter lvl 10
    I went to the seattle one. It was actually a realy great experience. Lots of ton notch artist walking around, just doin there thang. On the flip side, there was a ton of hopefull students trying to spark up convos with pro's just for a shot at saying "so will you look at my folio and higher me". I dont believe they were there to learn, which I "thought" was the whole reason for it. They worked in a good bit of 3d modeling, but the presenters didnt have the charisma that the 2d guys had. Kinda hard to follow up a coro demo....He makes great work, and cracks jokes the whole time. The poor 3d fella just kinda stood there and sculpted....not much talking.

all in all. great fun was had and a ton of inspiration. If there was another state side one, or canada, Id go in a heart beat.

Edit: just remembered.....Some artist (i forgot his name but i cant forget his face) came in sat down. He had a pissed look on his face, like he just got mugged or something. He proceeded to put on his ipod, and just paint....no talking, no interacting with people that were curious about what he was doing, nothing. He just sat pissed off and did a photo manip of some kid at the event.... by far worst presenter..... really wish i could remember his name.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just booked my workshop ticket! WOOP WOOP! Now to organise airfare and such.
    Should do a Polycount meetup for those of you who are turning up.

-caseyjones
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    I'm sorely tempted...never been to one of these workshop things. My biggest fear is there'll be too much to absorb and no duplicates of me to take it all in.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    I went to the Seattle one with 5 other fellas from work. 4 of them were concept junkies and myself and the other fella were not.

So I suppose this review (of sorts) if for those who're thinking of going but don't exactly 'do' a lot of concepting or drawing in their spare time.

To me, the event as a whole was a let down. So many people who did demonstrations really shouldn't have, simply because they're poor public speakers and even worse demonstrators. One of the Massive Black guys, who's name I've forgotten, was actually one of the worst. I also couldn't help but feel that some people were there waving their dicks around having a size contest rather than there to help & network.

It was also a disorganized mess. I felt like a sucker waiting and waiting and waiting for someone to finally come on the stage and speak, only to find out that their tongues were too big for their mouths and they had no clue how to articulate their processes. It was often nothing more than verbal diarrhea.

The keynote was the best part, Lorne Lanning could likely talk forever and keep people entertained. It was really nice to see Kolby & Brett do their thing, then go for dinner afterwards. And the part in the Space Needle was a lot of fun, but overall I didn't enjoy it. I'd say that unless your main goal is to become a concept artist/illustrator you can skip this.
  • doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
    I haven't been to one of these, but I would argue that the Gnomon workshops are a better value (at $125) with better speakers. Of course, at a Gnomon workshop you won't get to witness Android feel the pain of the earth as he spray paints some chick's boobs.
  • kolbyjukes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kolbyjukes polycounter lvl 18
    stimpack wrote: »
    the poor 3d fella just kinda stood there and sculpted....not much talking.

I was the poor 3d fella. Yeah, my presentation completely sucked. There's a lot of reasons why it sucked, but I won't go into those here. But yeah, really sorry about that.

Was fun to hang out with Brome, Kenneth Scott, Ian Joyner, Spark, Brutikong and Rawkstar. The 3d folks were definitely the minority though.
  • Asmuel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ticket bought :). The reviews seem to be mixed, but I thought fuck it. It's in my home town.

See you there Casey, I guess you'll be the one with the mask and hockey stick.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    kolby - ah shit man, didn't even cross my mind! V, Kenneth, Corrine, I had some fun with @ the needle and the others were at the dinner! Feeeck, horrible memory I have.

Really enjoyed putting faces to names and finally meeting some people.
  • tacit math
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tacit math polycounter lvl 17
    got my ticket. see you at the bottom
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asmuel wrote: »
    See you there Casey, I guess you'll be the one with the mask and hockey stick.
    Only if I manage to get it through customs ;)

-caseyjones
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Tossing up whether I want to head over to check this thing out. I'm not generally a 2D kinda guy, but on the other hand it sounds like it might be a good experience nonetheless. Any other opinions about these workshops?
  • achmedthesnake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah, the nz customs might stop you for having turtle carcasses in your luggage lol

boom boom tish!

nah, just make sure you don't get mauled by the giant European wasps there.....and sheep
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Or Hobbits!

-caseyjones
  • Asmuel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Getting the shirts dealio together before this goes down might be a good target for mr Brome. So we can spot eachother. But thats no guarantee of mature social behavior between a bunch of computer nerds.

I'll be the one in the corner refusing to talk to anyone.
  • stimpack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stimpack polycounter lvl 10
    kolbyjukes wrote: »
    I was the poor 3d fella. Yeah, my presentation completely sucked. There's a lot of reasons why it sucked, but I won't go into those here. But yeah, really sorry about that.

Was fun to hang out with Brome, Kenneth Scott, Ian Joyner, Spark, Brutikong and Rawkstar. The 3d folks were definitely the minority though.

Nothing to appologize about. I still got a good bit outa watching you work. Just wanted to hear what you were thinking while u sculpted. Mayb how you made the decision to do certain things ect ect. Ur piece still rocked.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asmuel wrote: »
    Getting the shirts dealio together before this goes down might be a good target for mr Brome. So we can spot eachother. But thats no guarantee of mature social behavior between a bunch of computer nerds.
    They're coming, be patient :P

Either way, I'm sorted because I have a bright red tee with the words "CASEY JONES" printed on the front with bold black letters. So I'll be easy to spot :P
    Or look for the kid with sweet kicks.

-caseyjones
  • gavku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gavku polycounter lvl 18
    Just booked the flights for myself Eagle an another mate so were down for sure. Plus there is another 6 from our studio going over ( Jackablade ), and I think about 8 from WhiteEagles studio so looks like there will be a decent crew kicking around...
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    I might have to knock off some animators if I want to go =(
  • gavku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gavku polycounter lvl 18
    ...if its any consolation I purchased my own ticket...
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I really need to sort my flight out!
    Any of you planning on sticking around for a bit after the workshop? I'll most likely be there for an extra week or so, seeing as while I'm the country I may as well make the most of it.

-caseyjones
  • gavku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gavku polycounter lvl 18
    ...I had thought about sticking around , but there's a bit too much stuff I need to get back an get stuck into...

..don't know if you've sorted out you accommodation Emil, but there's a heap of us staying here:
    http://www.downtownbackpackers.co.nz/

...also if anyone is sitting on the fence about whether to come or not apparently there's less than 95 spots left....
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=135867
  • Asmuel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You guys getting confirmations? I ordered mine 3 weeks ago, it was pending for 2 weeks, still no biscuit.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the heads up, Gav. I'll be doing all my bookings this weekend.
    Asmuel, as far as I know, I got my confirmation upon payment. I'll have to check the e-mail I got when I get home from work, but I don't remember seeing "pending" written anywhere.

-caseyjones
  • Asmuel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea I got a confirmation that I had made an order when I placed it. When I followed the link in the confirmation email, it said my order was pending review. It stayed like that for a couple weeks and no money was coming out of my account. So I'm kinda like, wtf? have I got one coming or not?
  • achmedthesnake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    visit rota rua - great golf course with massive steam vents in the middle of the green :)
    er. what else...man i cant remember my trip from year ago - i just remember driving with lots of sheep and lots of fields of tussock grass - seriously! nice place, though at the time they had yet to import real coffee.....

make sure you hippies take photos