Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook ~ DeathKitten >^..^<

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
DeathKitten polycounter lvl 18
Hello Ladies and Gents :)

I haven't been around on the boards here for a couple of years and really haven't done much art in that time... but things are a-changin' :D

This one I did over a 3 day period for a GuildWarsGuru forum contest. I won 5th place in the category (I came in behind some Gawd-Awful 3D piece :(). It was based on a spell, you can see it in the bottom left corner.

2756286110_434d01bfa4_o.jpg

This is my most recent work, from the Concept Tag thread in P&P. I'm still trying to figure out how to do lighting :/

2745819333_a4c3b2ba1d_o.jpg

This is the original by Cochtl & Gauss:

2745340148_8d167700c8_m.jpg

... and a couple of miscellaneous art projects.

This was my first (and only, thus far) attempt at making a DreamCatcher. I think it took me 3 or 4 days of working and re-working it to get it done right. All the main features, including the feathers (the middle one is from a Bald Eagle pair that nest there every year, I've had it for nearly 10 years in my trunk, just waiting for an opportunity to showcase it!), the shells and dragonfly, were collected at my favorite summer vacation spot up near 100 mile.

2758626854_b3051b702b_o.jpg

An embroidery project I'm working on, it will eventually be a pillow. So far I'm about 4 hours in, at least... embroidery is so very time consuming, with such little payoff :(

2758813664_97ec472f8b.jpg

C&C are most welcome, and appreciated... I'm here to learn!

>^..^<

Replies

• Mezz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    Allo,

Some nice stuff, I like the painting on the piece for the Guild Wars contest :) But I have to say, I'm noticing a trend in your pictures. The poses always seem a bit too stiff. When it comes to the human figure, I've come to learn that a sense of flow is VERY important to give a drawing the feel it needs to make it seem more real and alive.

I'd highly suggest trying to draw the poses from seeing the pose in real life in front of you. If you can get someone you know, a friend or family member or anyone who won't think you're crazy, to do the pose that you want to draw for you, it can be really helpful! We THINK our memory knows what something looks like, but when you get a real person to actually do it, it can be surprising how it actually looks. Also, I suggest taking some life drawing classes if you're interested in doing a lot of human-based concept work. I'm not certain if you've done any in the past or not, but I believe that you can NEVER have done too much life drawing in one's life. It can be very fun and relaxing, too!

About embriodery... yes, it is evil and terribly time consuming. :p That's why it was done by noble women who were given nothing else to do with their time but sit and gossip while keeping their hands busy embriodering :P But you should try to get it done, it's looking awesome!

lol Sorry about the book I just wrote out... didn't mean to write so much, but I hope you can get something useful out of it. :) Keep it up, I'd like to see more in the future!
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    hey.. i think you're amazing.. msg me.. i wanna learn how you do this stuff.

ur a girl right lol
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
  • DeathKitten
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DeathKitten polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks for the crits Mezz. If you try to take into account that I referenced my poses from the original images, I don't think I made them look all that much stiffer. I agree that I need to start referencing from more natural poses though :)

Thanks SupRore, I do have a fair amount of anatomy/drawing books already that I really should get to reading!

Mr. Warner... you suck! That totally reminds me of my first post on here hehehe

Anyways :p I'm looking forward to re-installing XSI & trying out some ZBrush soon.... mmmm 3D goodness on the way :D

-DK >^..^<