Home General Discussion

Team Fortress 2 update

Replies

• Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    It kept telling me you had too many friends.

You've reached the limits of friendship. :[ Gonna have to wait until someone dies off.
  • stimpack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stimpack polycounter lvl 10
    All it tells me is "There is a problem adding methyd_x to your friends list"

You can try adding me.... stimpack_overdose Da NiNjA
  • Swizzle
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    The last unlock will be a sandwich that gives you 100 health (either replacing the shotgun, or part of the shotgun taunt animation). There will also be a new game mode called 'arena'. Which is basically aimed at smaller games (5 versus 5) with smaller maps. Some of the new maps in arena will be modified version of current maps.

I feel i can reveal this information because someone posted this over at the valve/steam forums 2 days and apparently valve doesn't care anymore because the post is still there and not taken down.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=713672
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    nice. Can I have a 3 way with Sascha and Natascha?!

Duel Wield FTW.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    mi steam id is Blaizer, my e-mail: blaizer @ gmail.com
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    I think the background of that Natascha image is more interesting than the weapon itself. Herself. I see trees and grass...
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    man, I just spent a little while in a css server and the difference between tf2 is amazing. what is it about css that attracts total assholes? and tf2 that seems to be mostly really sociable fun people?? tf2 ftw!
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    Jackablade wrote: »
    I think the background of that Natascha image is more interesting than the weapon itself. Herself. I see trees and grass...

ya..... is that a hint that we might see a different setting for future maps? dear god i hope so. :)
  • Rob Galanakis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

http://www.teamfortress.com/post.php?id=1729
  • Swizzle
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, the new setting is gorgeous, but I can't say that the new mode inspires me at all. I think theres an inherent danger in making TF2 more like Counterstrike and thereby attracting whining children. I'd have liked to see them further alienated from our game.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    You gotta hand it to those guys at Valve, those graphics will never stop looking amazing.
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    Well, the new setting is gorgeous, but I can't say that the new mode inspires me at all. I think theres an inherent danger in making TF2 more like Counterstrike and thereby attracting whining children. I'd have liked to see them further alienated from our game.

I agree, Arena doesn't really interest me, however it might make for some fun studio games, since only a handful usually play at a time.

I'm super stoked for the new payload map. The pl_ gameplay has got to be my favorite.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    arena mode is a welcome addition for me, for that exact reason.. we can gather together 5- or 6 players in the office just about but thats no-where near enough for a satisfying full on game. arena mode is perfect in this situation
  • Murdoc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Murdoc polycounter lvl 11
    Agreed ebagg... I play TF2 daily and keep looking at the art and haven't got bored of it, it still surprises and impresses me.

I know a lot of people like to wank over it and I'm no different, but it really was solid.

I can only hope one day they add a one team coop mission with puzzel solving(ala lost vikings) I just love the characters.
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    As predicted, it's the Meet the Sandvich video:

http://steamgames.com/tf2/heavy/sandvich.htm
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    He punched out all my blood!
  • TheWinterLord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheWinterLord polycounter lvl 17
    wee cool screenshots! love the movies too although the gameplay of the sniper have gone downhill for me. He felt really good when the game was released but now he feels clumsy and dumb. Oh well i guess the changes were made because he was to powerful before... I still love all the different classes and i play what my team needs but when we could use a sniper bleh... :)
  • Armanguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Armanguy polycounter lvl 17
    Geezus wrote: »
    He punched out all my blood!

pure gold!!! i love the scout!
  • Rob Galanakis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Been playing Arena at lunch with work people, it is fun, as long as we have an even number of people.

Now the real reason I'm posting: BioWare 2-1 over Red 5! Here we come, semis!
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Arena is fun, I wish they would make a version with battlefield-style tickets rather than CS style sudden death and spectating.
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    I'm not a fan of the "you sit out this round because you're on a shitty team" aspect of Arena.

Badwater is pretty kickass, I'm enjoying that alot.

The Heavies update is a sniper's wet dream.

All I know is, with each update it's making the Spy class more and more gimped. I just hope the Spy gets some love soon. The Heavy definitely didn't get overpowered, like the Pyro did.
  • Saidin311
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saidin311 polycounter lvl 11
    Geezus wrote: »
    All I know is, with each update it's making the Spy class more and more gimped. I just hope the Spy gets some love soon. The Heavy definitely didn't get overpowered, like the Pyro did.

Badwater is a Spies wet dream. There's so many open spaces and spots to uncloak without being noticed.

Most of the spies I know have been dominating on this new PL map. Especially since its easy to knife 3 or 4 heavies or go after all the snipers.

This update was pretty fun. I love the sandvich, great idea. I never played the heavy much but I'm enjoying some fatty time this patch.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    All I know is, with each update it's making the Spy class more and more gimped.
    My assosciate ThePhotoshop disagrees with you.
    http://www.wegame.com/watch/Dear_Valve_You_re_Never_Gonna_Keep_Me_Down/
  • James Edwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    James Edwards polycounter lvl 18
    The updates don't do anything to gimp any other class. Spy is one of the deadliest classes in the game in fact. You need to be able to play it well - but that goes for anything really. It's probably the only class I don't play well... and possibly engineer - I simply don't have the patience required to play those classes effectively and my awesome aim would be squandered =]
    But that doesn't mean they are gimped though. I fear spies more than any other class when I play. The server I just played on had a spy as the top scorer so there's no way in hell that class is gimped. If anything I'd like to see a little less face stabbing =D

I've unlocked every update so far (none of them by farming - I love the game too much for that, and I really do enjoy unlocking stuff and gaining achievements) and none of them has proven to be any more powerful than it was before. It's just more fun to use those classes now because you can change up your style of play within the class. A good pyro will always own it up on the server, just as a good medic or heavy will - with or without updates.

Valve know more about what good fps multiplayer is than any other company imo, and they've proven it with every single update to this game so far. I don't think I even enjoyed playing quake 1 more, and I used to take days off work to play that. TF2 is the ultimate combination of awesome artwork with the best fps action ever designed.

Oh, best of luck in the rest of the west coast rumble Professor. You guys totally deserved that win. We had a horrible horrible defensive team this season and pretty much relied on offensive play to squeak by as far as we made it. I actually felt bad beating Blizzard, cuz they at least worked for it. We didn't practice once as a team and you caught us with our pants down. =]
  • adam
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    So are there any non-tourney servers you guys frequent? I don't really give a rip about the competitions, I just want to jump on and play a few rounds, preferably with people I know.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    flaagan.. the Rumble servers aren't all business like you're making them out to be. We more than often are just fucking around, singing shitty songs together (damn right), building teleporters to shitty locations, and so on.

Ya make it seem like we're competitive and dont like to have fun :) Ask Tumer, its not all business, man :P
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, I just got a bitter taste out of the whole situation when the people here originally started taking the Rumble seriously. The goofing around and funplay just died off. :( Not trying to be completely negative about it, but I definitely noticed a difference after the switch.

I'll try and swing on by some time. :)

... and not to thread-jack, but any of you foolios play CoD4 on PC? I'm dieing for some good competition.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    Supposedly, pyro is a "Noob" class and isn't really important to the team.
    That's just what everyone says when I'm doing better than them, tho

Pyro on cart maps is really really fun, specially with backburner, you can get behind them and just mess them all up, especially if you're uber charged.
    I didn't like the new axe, however as I am never in a position to switch weapons after burning someone.
    Flare gun is loads of fun, but it's not really useful. Shotgun is still my true love. I can play pyro with shotgun only, and kill a sizable amount of people.

: D
  • Em.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Em. polycounter lvl 17
    I think the new pyro unlocks have actually made Pyro a really viable class, even for competitive play. I know we've started using them depending on the situation on my clan's competitive team. Either way, burning people is fun.

Also..shameless plug, my clan has servers for just about every game if you're ever looking for a new server. Our TF2 server is called ATF Humpaholics Anonymous (IP 8.6.77.142:27015), we have a lot of good admins including myself, so it's usually pretty douch-free and casual. I play under the name ATF_Pixel_Pusher.

Flaagan: We have a COD server too, but I don't know what it's like cause I've only messed around with that one a few times. They have 2 servers: 8.9.17.94 Port: 28960 and 8.9.5.225: 28960.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    God Damn It Flagaan! Will you quit whining and just fucking PLAY sometime!? Holy fuck man, every time someone mentions TF2 you get all mopey and act like we're all competition all the time. Just get on the Server, and PLAY with us, if you don't enjoy it, then stop.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    I didn't like the new axe, however as I am never in a position to switch weapons after burning someone.
    : D

Q will do a quick switch to last weapon used. Also, in the advanced options you can enable Fast Weapon Switch, which will bypass the menu. Roll mouse wheel to switch weapons quickly. Torch, Axtinguisher = Dead. The other day I torched 5 enemies at once, and axtinguished them all. Good fun when people don't listen to their sound and turn the hell around when they hear footsteps and attacks from behind.

You absolutely must use one of these quick weapon switchers if you want to play spy. It also helps a lot with medic and sniper in quickly switching to defend yourself at close range.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    by the time you've switched to axetinguisher and swung, you could have already killed them with the flamethrower imo.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    I murder people with the axetinguisher all the time......

MURDER
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    I know, I can kill people with it too, I just kill them just the same if not faster without switching weapons.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    I find it's helped me a number of times when face to face with a heavy.. burn, run circles, chop chop, death
  • Colemerson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Colemerson polycounter lvl 10
    Played for a few hours tonight in one of the Studio Rumble servers. Haven't played it so long totally forgot how much fun it was. Not knowing some of the newer maps didnt' help but hey. :D
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Gwot even though I love TF2 i still think it lacks depth. I played TFC for years and although its fair to say that the classes didnt have the great variety and uniqueness they do in TF2 there was still a lot to be learnt.

TF2 frustrates me at times because half the time i feel too dependant on a healer, with the exception of demoman and sniper. I mean, I quit tf2 clanplay a few months in because i didnt really have the time so i dont really know what extent of things I could of learnt to stepup my play. Whereas with TFC to get to a top level it took a fair amount of time to learn the ins and outs of bunnyhopping/movement/concing and tactics when playing defence - which is kind of what i feel TF2 lacks... its gameplay is almost too slow and bumbly at times. For example as soldier if you were to face another soldier, there is still a skill gap as if youre the better player youll have a better aim but at the same time because of speed it makes dodging quite hard and while you are the victor the health you may remain with doesnt really make you feel like one.

Not that im hating on TF2 as it does do a good job of forcing teamplay and whatnot! I wouldnt mind picking up fortress forever for a play again now that thats matured! ;o
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adamBrome wrote: »
    I find it's helped me a number of times when face to face with a heavy.. burn, run circles, chop chop, death
    That's the only effective way I've found to take out a heavy when they're that close. Unless I want to watch the death cam and hope they don't make it to some health before it runs out...
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I took down a heavy with a shotgun, because I'm hardcore.
    Either that or it was a new player trying to get heavy achievements so they sucked.

still, i feel bad-ass
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Played a while last night with Gwot.. not sure how long.. maybe an hour.. half hour? It still feels way to hectic and unpolished is some respects. Afterwords I jumped on a random CoD4 server for maybe ten minutes and honestly had a lot more fun...

Dunno what's changed about TF2 since I originally started playing it, but it just isn't nearly as entertaining for me as it used to be. *shrug* Definitely gonna keep playin, but probably not too much. If you guys need another player and see me on Steam, feel free to invite me in.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Do you think its the ability of the end users with the continual practice since TF2 came out that makes jumping back in not as much fun? Thats what killed Counterstrike to some.
  • stimpack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stimpack polycounter lvl 10
    Whats up with the rumble servers? they are empty everytime i check them out. have we all moved on to greener servers?
  • Rob Galanakis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No idea, was wondering the same thing. They just upgraded/changed servers but those don't seem to be full either. Maybe it is because the season just ended? (BTW, BioWare beat Terminal Reality in the finals, it was an awesome match, for anyone that didn't know).
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anyone play demoman a lot?
    Personally i think it's one of the more entertaining classes to play, cause of sticky jumps
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ya, they've been empty a lot. People have been playing, but a lot of people have ONLY been playing on the Arena Server. Also, the finals had everyone watching those instead of playing.

I've been kind of frustrated with it too, and have tried to get shit started on west a few times, never successfully.

I'm hoping it'll pick up again soon.