Home Technical Talk

Max Default Lighting (Trick?)

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Incomitatum polycounter lvl 17
When I start up a scene, we all know, there is the default lighting. It seems to be an omnilight bound to the center of the non-existent camera in the viewport.

About halfway through building, I always like to throw in my intended lighting to keep see how objects are going to read.

Getting them where I want them, I do find it useful to go back to that default lighting so I can view my scene.

Short of Deleting the lights, is there a quick way to do this? My method, which is not preferred. It so turn off all the lights, and then set up a good amount of omilights that are instanced, so I can see the contours of my objects again.

It seems like such a little thing, but if you know a better way, I would love to hear it.

Replies

• Incomitatum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Incomitatum polycounter lvl 17
    I think I found it, after all these years. A stoopid checkbox. I can turn the default lighting back on. Sorry I created a thread -just- for this...

I guess I could ask another question.

Most lights I have, and they have some color to them too. Show show in the viewport a crude representation of what they will look like.

I have some other lights, that no matter what I seem to do, will not come 'on' in the viewport. They render correctly though.

Any thoughts, I might just delete them and see if that helps.
  • rube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rube polycounter lvl 17
    how many lights are in your scene... you may just be using more lights than max supports by default (or at all) in the realtime viewport.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    I think the shortcut is either shift L or crtl L. One hides the lights the other toggles defaul lighting on and off.

Alex
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Right click > upper right most quad menu > Viewport Lighting and Shadows > Viewport Shading > Change it from off to good or best (and watch your system melt).

You can also disable and enable lights and their real time shadow casting abilities in the viewport using the same menu. Hope that helps =)
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    also another way (less nice than vigs, dont know if theres any benefit to trying it) is to set your viewports to software rather than directx, and theres no light limit iirc