Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Steyr Aug WIP

Here's a Steyr Aug I'm working on. I've always liked the bullpup design of this gun and I just felt like modeling one. It weighs in at 5,842 Tris (was aiming for 6000 or less).

I'm looking for C&C on the mesh right now. Textures are still in the very early stages so don't worry about them just yet. I want to get C&C then make any changes to the mesh / UVW's before I start painting details onto it.

6e274e73263eb9f5289ac0ba39291.jpg
d618f85afdf3b29c3b4fc5487f7e4.jpg

Replies

• Smirnoffka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Smirnoffka polycounter lvl 17
    Having one of these in my room, I feel that I am pretty qualified to crit this.

You have a number of faults.

1. Port ejection plate (thing that goes over left handed port ejection) is too thick. It is in reality not much thicker than the port hole itself.

2. Reciever group retaining plate is too small. (bottom left of the ejection port plate on the first image) This in reality is much larger, and is used to lock the receiver group (scope and bolt mech) into the butt group.

3. You have a gen 1 scope with the snub nose design. They made very few of these, as all the AUS ones at least are gen 2, with a picatinny rail and scope for the snub nose design. (Could be wrong, but I know we only have gen 2 with the snub nose here in AUS)

4. Zeroing dial on the side of the scope is actually higher and more towards the top of the scope. IE, its not perpendicular to the scope, but actually around a little more and at an angle.

Other than that, looking pretty solid, though with a strange colour sceme. I've only seen them in black or the drab green we have them here in AUS.

I will be watching this thread closely :D
  • BARBEERIAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Smirnoffka wrote: »
    Having one of these in my room, I feel that I am pretty qualified to crit this.

You have a number of faults.

1. Port ejection plate (thing that goes over left handed port ejection) is too thick. It is in reality not much thicker than the port hole itself.

2. Reciever group retaining plate is too small. (bottom left of the ejection port plate on the first image) This in reality is much larger, and is used to lock the receiver group (scope and bolt mech) into the butt group.

3. You have a gen 1 scope with the snub nose design. They made very few of these, as all the AUS ones at least are gen 2, with a picatinny rail and scope for the snub nose design. (Could be wrong, but I know we only have gen 2 with the snub nose here in AUS)

4. Zeroing dial on the side of the scope is actually higher and more towards the top of the scope. IE, its not perpendicular to the scope, but actually around a little more and at an angle.

Other than that, looking pretty solid, though with a strange colour sceme. I've only seen them in black or the drab green we have them here in AUS.

I will be watching this thread closely :D

Thanks a lot! Very informative crits!

Few quick questions/comments for ya.

1/4 are pretty straight-forward to fix so that won't take long.

#2: Is this the little black square thing that looks sort of like the safety but is further back on the gun? If that isn't it, would you mind circling it in the image for me.

#3: On Steyr's website they do list an A1 with the snub nose barrel. Like you said it probably wasn't widely available but as long as they built at least one! I just like the style of the old scope, but the long barrel looks kinda flimsy.

I'll tweak the base colour a bit too. I'm aiming for the drab olive green model.
  • Smirnoffka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    #2 Yeah, thats the ticket. Its a bit bigger in RL, but you seem to have it in the right position.

#3 I stand corrected. I never liked the snub nose design, and they are not widely issued over here (only I believe for special circumstances) Maybe I'm just used to the longer barrel.

Also, for the colour sceme

ph4b.jpg

The mag is actually a semi-transparent green plastic. That is to say, when there is rounds in there, you can see them and how many you have left.

Looking good though :D
  • BARBEERIAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks again! I made the changes you suggested. I also started painting some scratches and stuff onto the metal and plastic parts of the main body. I'll change the magazines texture so it's green and and throw some rounds behind it.

d40ffd40ce5594b805fdd61b091b5.jpg
  • hobodactyl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hobodactyl polycounter lvl 18
    Don't just do random scratches; from Wikipedia:
    "The rifle’s stock, made from fiberglass-reinforced polyamide 66..."

751px-Steyr_AUG_DN-SD-01-04632.jpg

With that picture you can see a well-worn weapon (by the metal on the weapon) but the fiberglass doesn't get beat up like that. Thinking about where the scratches would actually accumulate will add a lot of realism.

Coming along nicely, keep it up!
  • Smirnoffka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I echo what is said by hobo.

Also, the trigger and magazine retaining button are the same colour plastic as the body. So is the left handed port ejection plate.

What you do find with this weapon is that behind the ejection port the plastic is actually a bit melted from the hot rounds being ejected.

A thing with the plastic is with older models that are well worn, the plastic (fibreglass) is worn down so it is quite smooth and shiny, where as a newer one has more of a rough surface.

Also, just noticed, the bolt (which can be seen through the ejection port) is a lighter metal. If it was that dark, you would get a sgt sticking a boot up your ass because your weapon is not cleaned.

Ah, more I noticed! The rear sling swivel (metal loop at the back) is actually on the end of pin, that goes through the whole weapon and is called the trigger mech retaining pin. It holds in the trigger mech and the buttplate, as the name suggests. (lol, buttplate) What this means is on the opposite side of the weapon, the end of the pin actually sticks out a little bit and can be seen.

Changes are good, and it all seems to be coming along nicely. :D
  • BARBEERIAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damn did I ever luck out, finding people who actually use this gun on a regular basis! Thanks! Gonna knock out most of those today hopefully.
  • BARBEERIAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Allright here it is after the latest round of fixes and texture work. Fixed all the little things you guys mentioned. For the polymer stuff I made it more smooth and upped the spec on areas that would see alot of groping, and took out most of the micro-scratches. I also setup the lighting.

011eb970d771e6591866fcd000ea6.jpg
  • Smirnoffka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thats more like it! 1 little thing with the form though, looking at my rifle now, I have noticed that there is not such a defined crease in the butt group in the plastic. Its actually more smoothed where it joins on to the handle and the back-bottom part of the butt. It could however be just the lighting you are using. Also with the colours, looking much better now but the safety catch is, you guessed it, the same green as the rest of the rifle. Pretty boring I know. Also, the buttplate (lol, buttplate) is not a black, but a darker green. Other than that, all your changes look pretty solid. Great job! :)
  • BARBEERIAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's getting really close to being done now. A few more tweaks here and there and it should be good to go! Made those few changes you suggested. I also painted the scope glass, added a few more details on the textures, and fixed the UV's on the scope cylinder so that the scratches are properly on the sides (accidentally painted them on the top/bottom).

371b6757f83dd6a9b14c3f541631a.jpg
  • Smirnoffka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking Great. Only thing I can see is that the bottom of the clip is a darker, solid opaque green plastic. Also it should be noted that the metal of the scope ect is not actually black, its just silver stuff painted black. If that helps at all. Also, never seen any scopes like that, but thats probably artistic licence.
  • Rumkugel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rumkugel polycounter lvl 14
    this should help :

http://www.pixagogo.com/3709284139

dont really like the scratches on the metal parts, also way too much.
    the coating actually should chip off

the tint on the scope (which is aswell off) doenst really look too convincing :/
    personally i´d just leave it black and add a reflection to it.

otherwise it looks nice :)
  • BARBEERIAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the image links, those came in handy! I made it look more like the black paint was chipping off the metal, toned down the scope glass, tweaked the magazine base, and a few other minor tweaks and fiddling with the textures.

ce1924495f0a2866731071141a08d.jpg
  • Smirnoffka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    From what I have seen of the weapons we have here (all the gen1 with regular barrel, and quite old), the paint seems to chip off the scope at the top the most, not the sides. I guess that because if you are holding in and do a mega awesome army roll in the dirt (im in the air force, and think the army is stoopid), it will hit the top. The side of the reciever group looks about right though, looking much much better. :D

Also, on ALL the rifles I have seen, where the cocking handle slides back and forth is shiny silver. This is because it rubs against the paint so much (each time you cock the rifle (lol, cock)).

Looking much more convincing though, keep it up