Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Final short film - BLACK DAY

polycounter
Offline / Send Message
rollin polycounter
Hi folks

I´m now finished with my final project and so i can show what i was working on since.. ähm... oh.. shortly after domwar ... I ... ujuj.. time goes on faast

This is some kind of prerelease in the english internet world, so if you find any problems or it-would-sound-better-if within the english subtitles pls. let me know.. i will fix them!

blackday_head_small.jpg

The projekt consists of 3 parts.. the film of course, the webpage and an overall connecting design (Webpage, Logos, Posters, ...)
AND! I´m happy to be able to also offer the full Soundtrack on the page.
You can listen or download single tracks or the full package with the cd-cover as pdf.

bank_tad.jpg

====== Some facts ========
Length: 30 mins with two endings
Voice: German
Subtitles: German/English
Extras: making-of, Soundtrack

Characters have around 1300 Polys with a 512^2 Texture
Worldtextures are a mixture of 100% handpainted and 50% photo / 50% handpainted
I used 1x2048^2 + 1x1024^2 + 1x1024^2_alpha for common worldtextures and for special props extra 512^2 textures
first real animations i made.. so they are a bit.. firstlike ;)
postproduction in combustion and sony vegas 6
sound in cubase, recorded sfx with the zoom h2 recorder (nice little thing!)

server_tad.jpg

You can watch the Trailer here:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-I6BXZjuuU0[/ame]

The webpage with the full film is here:

www.theBlackDay.de

The film starts a bit slow and the voice actors are nonprofessionals.. > crit i already know

Replies

• Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just had a chance to watch it, and I really liked it! Somehow, it reminded me of Ghost in the Shell: Standalone Complex, although I couldn't pinpoint why exactly. Music and atmosphere, most likely; Speaking of which, the music really fit the pacing and style of the film. The animation was a bit stiff, but altogether it never really bothered me. As you said, it's your first animation, and as such it's 'firstlike', but again, you made it work with the pacing, so good job. I liked the clever bit where you made the dimmed background (around the movie) go white with the flashbang/explosive. One thing that bothered me was the lighting, though. Specifically, the multiple shadows on everything, that really went against the style of the lowpoly models. Some stronger, singular shadows would have worked a million times better with the stylisation, I think.

All in all, I really enjoyed this, and I'm looking forward to your next film.
  • TheSplash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is really high quality for a student animation, you should be really proud. Yes the animation could use some improvement but the movie is 30 mins long so it's forgivable. You did really well. I really liked the camera work and editing in this, it was interesting and never distracting. I liked the art style as well, you put a lot of effort in.
    How long did you have to make this ? six months?
  • Kawe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kawe polycounter lvl 8
    nice. I like how the glass shattered and fell out onto the webpage. haha. amazing.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    looks really nice, congrats.
  • fogmann
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fogmann polycounter lvl 17
    Most excellent, I'm quite impressed! The integration with website worked great and the making of inserts were cool to see as well. It is all very well thought out and executed, with great attention to details, and it's simply hard to believe you did it all in 6 months or so - bravo! Now go get some sleep :)
  • hobodactyl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hobodactyl polycounter lvl 18
    Man, all I can say is incredible! I don't normally watch such long movies on the internet, but that was great; congratulations!

Ich wei
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    Hi! thx a lot :)

MightyPea : "Somehow, it reminded me of Ghost in the Shell"
    - my inspirational sources where cowboy bebop, captain future and ghost in the shell.. so well.. it seams it worked somehow a bit ;)
    And the Shadows where some kind of a time-runs-out problem .. i head no time to make a real movie like light setup but just the in scene lights.. so it was some kind of compromise

TheSplash
    - read what i´d wrote about domwar, which domwar, and than count ;) but as you can see i was somehow able to participate in two domwars.. .. ahh.. well.. ok it was insane..

Kawe
    - ;)

Sage
    - thx :)

fogmann
    - i du no sleep i du playr jediknight ahndr search for job .. well not working until 2 am is already some kind of "get some slepp" :)

hobodactyl
    - thx man .. that would be realy realy cool :) ich pm´e sie gerade eben ;)
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    the english subtitles are now fixed bc of the help from hobodactyl
    thx again !! :)