Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Environment Tree Houses?

TreeHouse00.jpg
Still updating. All critics are welcome. Thanks.

Replies

• joe gracey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joe gracey polycounter lvl 11
    I like what you've done so far, cool idea.

IMO, it looks like the bottom ring of wood (I think its wood at least) is really thin. It looks like it would snap in a second if anyone walked on it or if a strong wind came through.

Overall there could be more water damage or corrosion.

Since these houses are in a tree high up in the air, maybe you break up the "neatness" that all the structures have, by having pieces of wood hanging down or missing.

Very good work so far though. :)
  • Mil0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm thinking that may be fabric as the outer ring? In which case a little more slack and some rope connecting it to the beams would help illustrate that. I could be wrong though. Its looking very cool.
  • GOBEE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GOBEE polycounter lvl 10
    Wow. I was actually working on something similar but decided to stop. I was just trying to do too much. That said, I like what you have done so far with this scene. Very simple but also very creative. You kept this pretty low poly no? Post wireframe if you can.

One thing that sticks out to me, and this a problem I had, is the tree texture. It looks like you are wanting the entire tree to be covered in moss? Correct me if I am wrong. From what I see, you might have some texture scaling issues on the trees.

Have you tried changing the tree texture to something more brownish? It might help break up all the green you have showing.

All in all.. I'm diggin' this. Keep updating it, I want to see more. I might try to go back to my treehouse scene and start over again.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like where you're going with this, you have some good lighting going too =)

Maybe tatter up the cloth a bit with a transparency map, and as Mil0 suggested rope and a bit more slack would help it read as cloth.

I'm not sure how you did your textures, but you might want to take another pass at adding weathering and a bit of AO to everything. It's reading more like separate pieces that are new and not so much like pieces that have weathered together. Each have their own level of weathering, but it doesn't really have the same overall weathering... if that makes any sense.

It does really depend on how the textures where created and used as to how much you can actually make them gell more together.
  • Fishypants
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fishypants polycounter lvl 18
    Haha nice. Reminds me of Myst. Great work so far.
  • thegreatjmo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    001.jpg
    Thanks People. This is the wireframe shot
  • Pirate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My main crits at this point are

1. The texture on the ground under the water doesn't look very natural, it looks like man made cobblestone.

2. The bright blue parts under the water near some of the trees looks off.

3. The tree leaves alpha looks a bit blurry, I think since you are using this texture a lot, it might be a good idea to touch it up some more. Also maybe try and fan out the leaves more, instead of just having one alpha'd plane in each area add 2 or 3, and intersect them a bit to make it look less flat.

4. The barrels in the village have a very bright blue top, I'm assuming this is because they are filled with water. The barrels are are a dark wood, I don't think the water would be reflecting the sky that strongly.

I hope this helps, keep up the good work. This is an interesting tree village, and I look forward to seeing it finished :D